• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First time I ever heard of that game. Although looking at the screenshots it goes into much more detail than ours.

Indeed - however their focus was only on warefare, not on economics; also as far as I remember this detail level was the reason why they failed with development.

Looking forward to having the AI micro the air force for me. At least the interceptors, in HoI2 I build AA instead because I didn't want to micro them, but AA wasn't very effective.

Can the AI rebase air forces? For example if I have some Int F in norhtern Italy and UK bomb southern Italy where the planes can't reach can the AI rebase them to be able to reach? Or can I only tell to AI to defend within the reach of the planes?

Yes the AI will rebase planes. It will try and hold it close to the area of operations of the HQ it is attached to. The higher up the chain of command the more scope it has.

If I want to move a Theater HQ to another theater, can this be done?

Or do I have to create a new Theater HQ for every theater?

No both the outliner and map display the percentage victory for the attacker. So if the outliner is in red and display 8% then those guys are attacking me and getting creamed.

Ok, I think I finally get it.

The difference between outliner and map is, that the numbers on the outliner carry a sign. All red ones are negative.

So I conclude. that the minus sign here only means, that I am defending, while plus means attacking!?

If so, why not get rid of the sign, if the sign information is already represented through the color?

Because I thought that somehow the combat progress could go from minus 100% to plus 100%,
where 0% means, no advantage for any side.

Last edited:
You have a whole number of options here. We figured that espeically in say MP you the player would perhaps want to shunt an inactive front (say the German defence of France in 1942) over to AI control. Give them fighters and units, plus some subs and let them make a nuicance of themselves well defending France for you, allowing you to focus on the real war in the East. However you can do what I did, or you can simply not use the AI at all. These are choices that are up to you to make.

If you choose to let the AI control your units, is it based on what difficulty level and what aggression you selected for the ai at the start of the game (ie, for the ai opponents)... Or is this all based on what orders you set for that particular Theater?

I don't know whether you can move a theatre HQ, but IIRC as soon as you open up a new theatre, eg North Afrika as Germany, the AI creates a theatre HQ automaticaly.

Cool, thnx :)

King could you give us the layout of some of your divisions? Specifically id like to see the makeup of your HQ, motorised and standard infantry divisions. (by layout i mean what battalions you use to makeup your standard division of that type).

I just love this "put some of your troops under AI control" concept!! Even in a very bad scenario (when your programmers won't have enough time to tune it perfectly), and the AI would be 40% working well and 60% dumb, it would be a great addition to the possibilities of HOI series. I just stopped so much games in HOI2 because as the war progress futher, and my armies started to operate on 3 continents, the micromanagement went totally out of the top and playing it was only work, not fun anymore. :(

The possibility to don't care at all to all these low-important/too-full-of-micro areas, and to care only about the funny ones is just GREAT. Kudos to anyone in Paradox who proposed this concept...

Yes, you will be able to give the "limited war" option to all factions.
In fact, you are free to give them (or take away) and new bonuses.

But could we limit the Axis to be able to only declare limited wars ?
If allies can only declare full wars and axis only limited wars, it will be a good simulation of how closes where countries in those alliances.

The worst time for me was when I had knocked Soviet out of the war, but wanted to annex them, and had to go all the way to the pacific :p
I acctually think I'll use the AI command quite often, and the great thing is that you don't need to give orders to the theatre only, but instead you can give different objectives for the different army groups, thus you can also choose to have 3 AI army groups, and control one yourself :)

Also, kudos for King's commitment to this topic

Hi King - great work!

Just a bit off topic question - when you were designing/inventing command structure, did you have in your mind some old (and unfortunately) abandoned project called - The Road to Moscow (Battlefield Design Group); look at the link

http://pc.ign.com/articles/131/131163p1.html?

Or it is first time you can hear about it...

I have a suspicion that HoI3's hierarchy/delegation system is inspired by Airborne Assault. Johan mentioned it on the Wargamer forum (and I'm pretty sure it was Johan).

Just want to ask isn't Yugoslavia high partisan area ?

Why would a weak country which has to fight against UK in north Africa want to spend army at guarding territories against partisans ?

Unless this is just a demonstration and it isn't truly worth of capturing.