• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enewald said:
Can theater AI really achieve that?
It is still more fun when you can directly command all your divisions by yourself.

Yes the Theatre AI can really acheive that and I have no idea about manual control. I have used AI control exclusively to provide feedback to our AI programmers so they can improve the AI.

More fun depends on your taste and the size of the battle. Steamrolling Poland at divisional and occasional corps level was a lot of fun anyways!

If you before the war buildt brigades as a response to theater request. Can you walk us thrue how those units get to the requested front? Like will they go there automaticly and how will the hq use them. Are the HQ requesting div or brigade? If it is brigades will the HQ create Divs then?

Italy had radar in 38?
Must have been researching that heavily?

Italy had radar in 38?
Must have been researching that heavily?

Radar in HoI3 = combined radar/listening post in real life

He was building listening/sigint posts to monitor Allied naval movements, not to defend against air raids.

Italy has crap Radar/Listen Posts in 1938, not been researching it heavily.

I assume that radar/listening posts capability is split into two different tech paths? I.e., radar and decryption.

If so, can you build "radar" without actually having radar techs (only as a listening post)? Logically, you should be able to.

Small flags are not squares anymore.

[...]
THEY ARE!
flag-comparison.png

note. they are rectangles but by very small margin of being squares, thats the problem

I assume that radar/listening posts capability is split into two different tech paths? I.e., radar and decryption.

If so, can you build "radar" without actually having radar techs (only as a listening post)? Logically, you should be able to.

No, logically since they are one in the same building you don't.

THEY ARE!
flag-comparison.png

note. they are rectangles but by very small margin of being squares, thats the problem

Next person who goes about the bloody flags in this thread is getting a warning for spam. I am fed up with it.

If you before the war buildt brigades as a response to theater request. Can you walk us thrue how those units get to the requested front? Like will they go there automaticly and how will the hq use them. Are the HQ requesting div or brigade? If it is brigades will the HQ create Divs then?
Sorry unimportant question, then I can ask another.
Will the demo arrive before or after the holiday?
Good job dev, you really need the wakation now.
Standing applaud for a very good effort. :O)

So you have your fleets assinged to the theatre HQ's also? how affective was the AI at handling them. Does it do a good job of clearing out enemy fleets?

Also how does buidling units for the AI work. Do you jsut build them and when the are done the AI automagically makes the proper units structure and deploys them or do you have to do that part of it?

Ahh i see he basically asked the same stuff a couple posts up sorry for the reuttering.

Also great DD. Cant wait for the game.

So you have your fleets assinged to the theatre HQ's also? how affective was the AI at handling them. Does it do a good job of clearing out enemy fleets?

Also how does buidling units for the AI work. Do you jsut build them and when the are done the AI automagically makes the proper units structure and deploys them or do you have to do that part of it?

Ahh i see he basically asked the same stuff a couple posts up sorry for the reuttering.

Also great DD. Cant wait for the game.
Kind of ask it to but about ground units, but no replay.

No, firstly you do not have to use AI control at all. You are also free to ignore what the AI asks for. These requirements are for the AI to perform at maximum effectiveness in all areas. So your AI theatres will ask for strategic bombers to wage a strategic bombing offensive against your enemies, but you don't have to give it to them.

The airforce was out and about just not seen in any of the screenshots.

1 Question comes out of this: if i begin with a major in 1936, put the hole military under ai command and follow theit requests, is a win likely or guaranteed? Or is the military ai only concerned about theit interests and doesnt look at, for example, the political situation and political followings of their demands? Like demanding strat bombers when the people cry for bread.

On a sidenote: I just want to add that the map looks great. Googled some HoI2 screens today and its like day and night. :)

Well, ok, I'll make a first serious nitpick (hey, I did the same when Rome demo went out and it turned out to be spot on)...

I feel that combat resolution and land units movement is too fast. If 20 days is enough for Italian units, that are mainly infantry to break the Yugoslavian defense (even if YUG were not mobilized at all, ITA was only partially mobilized) and get almost half of YUG territory (mountain terrain, not that high infra), and occupy half of the country, then imagine what can do motorized/mechanized units with proper doctrines, commanders and in easier terrain/better infra.

Of course, I might be wrong, but seems like some tweaking might be needed here and there. Nothing big considering game is not out yet, still, something to think about.

Otherwise, awesome AAR.

Seeing how small Yugoslav subs could affect much larger Italian national unity by 3% in such short time are there techs or actions to counter act national unity falling so quickly? IE- propaganda tech controls where for example UK kept its own population ignorant of how bad the merchant losses were?

Or alternatively it seems Italian navy was rather ineffective combating the Yugoslav subs at this early part of the game period, if UK national unity drops in 1939 when subs have more advantage that doesn't really matter likely because UK has small chance of being invaded at that time. In 1940-1941 when UK has more chance of being invaded if their ASW doctrines stronger and the UK navy fighting back against subs even if subs still scoring kills does the speed of national unity drop decrease? So if the navy is fighting hard vs subs it slows down national unity dropping?

Also would be interesting for strategic bombing... most likely no air force unless completely dominate will be able to stop strategic bombing but if it fights back it drastically slows affect on the national unity?

wow

i am very very impressed

in HoI2, yugoslavia had a GoI from france i think that ended on 1 JAN 40. does yugoslavia have any GoI's from any western country here in 1938? that would be definitely important in this conflict

excellent AAR btw and thanks much for another ITALY show ))) we italians are truly getting spoiled )))

Amazing update.

Now where is that demo? ;)

I feel that combat resolution and land units movement is too fast. If 20 days is enough for Italian units, that are mainly infantry to break the Yugoslavian defense (even if YUG were not mobilized at all, ITA was only partially mobilized) and get almost half of YUG territory (mountain terrain, not that high infra), and occupy half of the country, then imagine what can do motorized/mechanized units with proper doctrines, commanders and in easier terrain/better infra. Of course, I might be wrong, but seems like some tweaking might be needed here and there.

My feelings exactly. The Italians weren't exactly a blitzkrieg juggernaut. And the terrain in Yugoslavia is tough. Hopefully "optimisation" will take care of some of this. But I can already see the need for modding. :)

Keep in mind the Yugoslav army wasn't even ready, which King has said over and over...not only that but he mentioned all other campaigns would have increased difficulty because they would have TIME to mobilise....remember this Yugoslav campaign happened 2 years before they historically had time to prepare and they had internal problems we are not seeing on the Italian side of things. Having a fully mobilized and supported army take 2 months to go 2-3rds of the way into Yugoslavia isn't too far fetched. Germany beat France much quicker and they were mobilized.