+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #34 - 24th of June 2009

Resident, Fawlty Towers Chaplain's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by The Balbinater View Post
    in HoI2, yugoslavia had a GoI from france i think that ended on 1 JAN 40. does yugoslavia have any GoI's from any western country here in 1938? that would be definitely important in this conflict
    Are AI nations such as Yugoslavia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc., programmed to seek GOI's wherever possible? Shouldn't they be?
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post
    Well, ok, I'll make a first serious nitpick (hey, I did the same when Rome demo went out and it turned out to be spot on)...

I feel that combat resolution and land units movement is too fast. If 20 days is enough for Italian units, that are mainly infantry to break the Yugoslavian defense (even if YUG were not mobilized at all, ITA was only partially mobilized) and get almost half of YUG territory (mountain terrain, not that high infra), and occupy half of the country, then imagine what can do motorized/mechanized units with proper doctrines, commanders and in easier terrain/better infra.

Of course, I might be wrong, but seems like some tweaking might be needed here and there. Nothing big considering game is not out yet, still, something to think about.

Otherwise, awesome AAR.
    If you look at the leading units in the screen shot those are mainly motorised our mountain. The majority of the troops trailing behind are infantry.
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

Well, ok, I'll make a first serious nitpick (hey, I did the same when Rome demo went out and it turned out to be spot on)...

I feel that combat resolution and land units movement is too fast. If 20 days is enough for Italian units, that are mainly infantry to break the Yugoslavian defense (even if YUG were not mobilized at all, ITA was only partially mobilized) and get almost half of YUG territory (mountain terrain, not that high infra), and occupy half of the country, then imagine what can do motorized/mechanized units with proper doctrines, commanders and in easier terrain/better infra.

Of course, I might be wrong, but seems like some tweaking might be needed here and there. Nothing big considering game is not out yet, still, something to think about.

Otherwise, awesome AAR.
    This could very well be the first battle of the war and a total suprise to the Yugoslavian. It also (in my opinion) have something to do with how the defending forces have been placed. I don't think thats proper way do defend Yugoslavia.
    If you have one stretch out front, anyone can break through and just rush.

Never mind KIng. I buy the game anyway. No more comments from me.

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon

Thanks for this hands-off AAR. Something truly novel, I think.

Regarding troops requested by theaters: Is the a setting to allow the AI manage the build-queue, like it managed slider-allocation in HoI2? If yes: How will the AI handle/queue theater requests or how will it determine which force in a theater (army, navy, airforce) should be priorized?
    ReadAAR of the Mongol Week 30.10.2009 - 01.12.2009 in Thundergate's hilarious "The WRAITH of KHAN! All AARe mine!" (long week, wasn't it?)

Paradoxian Idol - The Musical AAR that needs YOU!

Under Jolly Tenno - A hymn to Remble's excellent AAR "The Setting Sun - Gotterdämmerung, Japan 1944"

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

Otherwise, awesome AAR.
    Of course, such a thing could never happen in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    My feelings exactly. The Italians weren't exactly a blitzkrieg juggernaut. And the terrain in Yugoslavia is tough. Hopefully "optimisation" will take care of some of this. But I can already see the need for modding.
    I think the issue here is that they played wisely and "got the drop" on the Yugoslavian Army by attacking them when they were at low mobilization.

Had Yugoslavia mobilized sooner there would have been problems which is why they attacked so early in the winter because German aggression would have also increased Yugo's mobilization.

Did you as Italy get some reaction from France and GB on your war against Yugoslavia ?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions

The Yugoslav army collapsed in 11 days in 1941. And they had numerical parity with Axis then. As well as 2 years warning.

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper Fi500k club

One thing I noticed is that the AI seems to move single HQs ahead of the bulk of the Army, judging by the HQ Counters with 0-1 Atk & Def values. This is OK as long as you are not facing any opposition, doesn't it mean that as soon as you face a counter offensive or a decent defensive position your HQs will be in serious trouble?
    Have you had that type of scenario yet, or does this fall under AI fine tuning?

Thanks
    HoI3
    HoI2 DDA
    HoI2 DDA + TRP
    Member of the Ahistoric Association

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Seil View Post
    Of course, such a thing could never happen in real life.
    Are you suggesting that Italian army of 1938 had ability ot perform with speed of Werhmacht in 1941? Well thought argument.

The Yugoslav army collapsed in 11 days in 1941. And they had numerical parity with Axis then. As well as 2 years warning.
    They had NO warning, they were under German "protection" in 1940-1941 period. Germany invaded them because Yugoslavia decided to change that.

Re King :

You might be right, although final screenshot (other are irrevelant, shwing early stages of operation), shows:

- 1 infantry division near Beograd (the furthest away from offensive starting provinces)
    - 1 motorized division nearby (ok, they should be fast),
    - 3 HQs (hard to say what is UNDER them, let's assume those are motorized/cavalry divisions/brigades),
    - another motorized division,
    - 2 infantry divisions, another HQ and another infantry divisions in middle/coast section of the front.

It certainly doesn't look like mainly motorized force, unless HQs are hiding something else...

Again, don't get me wrong. I don't wanna be a partypooper, but I hate pointless fanboyism where everyone only have praises before the premiere. It simply seems not right to have such an operation speed in case ITA vs. YUG in 1938.

Are you suggesting that Italian army of 1938 had ability ot perform with speed of Werhmacht in 1941? Well thought argument.
    So, according to you, 60 < 11? Likewise, a well thought-out position, sir.

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    . It simply seems not right to have such an operation speed in case ITA vs. YUG in 1938.
    6 times slower than historical attack is too fast for you?

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

So, according to you, 60 < 11? Likewise, a well thought-out position, sir.
    Alex, I'm not letting myself be pulled into this kind of discussion.

I stated valid concern. If you feel it's good for the game to have Italina infantry crossing mountains of Croatia and Bosnia with lightning speed, fair enough, obviously you do not share my concern.

My point stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    6 times slower than historical attack is too fast for you?
    Wehrmacht 1941 =/ Italian Army 1938.

Only that Johan.

Admiral of the Fleet Shadow Knight's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    Europa Universalis IV

Yay for Johan, and triple yay for King!!! Thanks for the cool update.
    f.k.a. shdwknightx
    HOI:TGW
    HOI2: 1914

"When you have a hammer, all your problems begin to look like nails. However, when you don't have a hammer, you may begin to ignore anything that looks like a nail."

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    51 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

The only forcing "blitzing" across Yugoslavia are his mountain forces and motorized forces... Everything else still needed to catch up to continue the fight.

Financial Director tretii_sleva's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

This looks promising.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Simply wonderful! Can't wait until August!
    Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    The only forcing "blitzing" across Yugoslavia are his mountain forces and motorized forces... Everything else still needed to catch up to continue the fight.
    Exactly. Since the yug defence was set up the way it was and there is no zone of control represented in this game as far as i know for troop movement and/or supplies, you can just put the pedal to the metal and rush inland.
    I don't see anything wrong here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast