• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Blasted Numidia: 633-654
The Blessed by the Gods

or
1 small Numidian, dancing on skulls

Great king Djedhor, long lived and mighty, was not amused by the minor civil war of 634. It had no style, no glory, and it disrupted his digestion for months on end. The only entertaining elements were the diplomatic actions of Egypt and Pontus, both realms promising to come help crush the rebellion to show their good will and innocent motives in general.

Egypt, naturally enough, stipulating that “some poor province” handed over would be a kindly token of friendship. This came as no surprise to Djedhor, as he had suffered such begging and lowering of personal dignity from the Egyptian ruler's relative Amyrteos' the last decades and a half.

As a result, military access was granted only to Pontus, and the martial Pontians were tasked with retaking Carthago, which soon fell.

The civil war crushed, king Djedhor ordered the skulls of all the rebels gathered in a small field outside his summer palace in Hippo Regius, and, concerned that the field wasn't all that impressive, ordered his commanders across the sea to return the skulls of Gauls dead in combat during the ongoing conquest and those of Roman rebels returned to the capital on the double. Soon a lively regular shipping route (the so-called treasure fleet) was up and skulls arrived by the shipload.

Some scholars speculate that this may have significantly increased the devastation in Gaul and Rome and suggest that local corrupt governors and generals or ambitious bureaucrats may have done a bit of headhunting of skulls or redesignating of skull origins on the side as private enterprises, thereby contributing to the depopulation of the Italian peninsula and the utter destruction of Italian culture in the long run, but so little remains of evidence of the Romans that it must remain mere speculation.

King Djedhor was to see no more war in his lifetime and his last great act was the secret Treaty of Northern Division with Pontus, the treaty famous, even in its own time once it came to public attention, for some secrets are too good not to share, as the one major treaty where neither of the parties had reliable documents as proof of just what had been agreed in the specifics as a result of which both parties serenely followed their own interpretation.

Bringing a fresh new outlook to Numidian diplomacy after the long stolid reign of Djedhor came his son Polyperchon. A hunter and sportsman of note, five years champion of the national sport of slave kicking, barred from the temple of Baal Hammon for beating the high priest at stallionising slaves and daring to write a poem mocking the priest's failure, breaker of hearts, killer of thieves, lord of justice, despoiler of maidens, and dancer of the god who is not named, Polyperchon was considered both blessed and cursed by the gods and definitely a young man to be watched, preferably from a safe distance.

Polyperchon Massinisid is king, 639 AUC
numidiapolyperchonking6.jpg

Under his enlightened autocratic rule the great army road was built from the utmost west to the border of Egypt and trade flourished. He promoted ever friendlier relations with both Egypt and Pontus with the intent of drawing both into a defensive alliance akin to the defensive alliance Pontus and Egypt already shared between them.

The late 640'ies yielded an offensive alliance with Pontus for the purpose of cutting Rome further down to size, Pontus having long wished to divest Rome of its eastern holdings and Polyperchon not being averse to adding a great victory to his name like his forefathers had done. The war broke out unexpectedly early over the minor issue of a backwards tribe in Gaul that remained faithful to Rome, and armies and navies being out of position, the invasion was a shambles.

Rome having rebuilt its legions after the last war in its now most powerful stronghold, Hispania, the armies of Pontus flooded into the practically defenseless Italian peninsula while Numidia's mighty armies fought the Roman legions tooth and claw in Hispania and Gaul and Numidia's navy struggled with the Roman fleet.

The emperor of Pontus prided himself on his excellent military progress in the face of negligible opposition and spent, if the bitter notes of Polyperchon Massinisid are to be trusted, most of the time on sending notes asking about the “warscore” and whether he could have two or three provinces anytime soon. This seems to have tasked the otherwise moderately sane and fairly stable Polyperchon to the degree that he answered most undiplomatically that the last couple of wars his forefathers had won against Rome had required a near complete occupation of Roman territory, annihilation of all Rome's forces, and blockading of every province not occupied, so if his great lazy emperorship of Pontus was in a hurry or couldn't make peace on his own behalf for his wargains, he should probably get his armies marching to help actually fighting the Roman armies rather than killing stragglers limping back towards Rome from Hispania.

Fortune favours the bold, it is said, but emperor Arganos of Pontus, who had been favoured more than most heretics during his life, was by this time an arrogant and embittered man; What is worse, while still moderately bold, he had finally run out of luck.

With the Pontian Time of Troubles breaking out, Arganos immediately withdrew his armies from the war against Rome and made haste for his capital, leaving Numidia alone in the field as it had been so many times before but in a worse shape than usual. King Polyperchon gave an eloquent speech from the ruins of the Roman senate to the assembled army leaders indicating that he'd had enough of this shit and would only be satisfied with a peace treaty and a ten-fold increase in skull deliveries until that was achieved.

Finally, a treaty was signed in 654 stripping Rome of a few Gaulish provinces and king Polyperchon could return to his favourite sports, but before he returned to the sedentary life, he proclaimed Numidia an empire with himself as emperor, he proclaimed his own deification, and

last, but definitely not least, he viewed the field of skulls and he saw that it was good, skulls in layers triple-deep for as long as the naked eye could see, and he went to the very centre of the field,

and he laughed,
......and he danced
............and he DANCED!
and the skulls grinned as his laughter spread throughout the field, Polyperchon Massinisid - emperor and god!

Last edited:
Wyvern said:
iirc it was Peter screaming for help and claiming I'd had it easy whilst he fought the bulk of Romes armies. All lies of course but one felt obliged at the time to help him out, and besides I needed the war score ;)

Peter Ebbesen said:
The emperor of Pontus prided himself on his excellent military process in the face of negligible opposition and spent, if the bitter notes of Polyperchon Massinisid are to be trusted, most of the time on sending notes asking about the “warscore” and whether he could have two or three provinces anytime soon. This seems to have tasked the otherwise moderately sane and fairly stable Polyperchon to the degree that he answered most undiplomatically that the last couple of wars his forefathers had won against Rome had required a near complete occupation of Roman territory, annihilation of all Rome's forces, and blockading of every province not occupied, so if his great lazy emperorship of Pontus was in a hurry or couldn't make peace on his own behalf for his wargains, he should probably get his armies marching to help actually fighting the Roman armies rather than killing stragglers limping back towards Rome from Hispania.

It's the differing perspectives which makes reading this thread such a joy. Quite apart from the entertaining storytelling and impressive gamesmanship. :)

All hail the Dancing God-Emperor!:D

Hehe, that was a very entertaining installment. I can't wait to see Pontus' point of view. I guess the God-Emperor of Numidia had the 'insane' trait?

I guess the God-Emperor of Numidia had the 'insane' trait?
No, he just has an interesting personality and was touched by the gods since birth. Such people cannot be judged by puny moral measurements of sanity or morals.

Rome?
What Rome?

I cannot understand how anyone can still remember the ancient state of Rome... :p
But those who play Africa Universalis: Numidian know that there was once a village called Rome. :p

Eternal Egypt: 645-665
- The Reign of Ptolemy VIII Naravas -

It is generally accepted the Naravas Ptolemy was infused with the divine spirit of at his birth. Already at early age he was able to speak any language he heard, he was able to read any written language (including the sacred hieroglyphs chiseled a thousand years before). Naravas did swim across the Nile at the age of three, at the age of eleven he became famous for his ability to outrun racing horses.

Thus when Naravas became the pharaoh in 645, the age of gods began in Egypt. Naravas was officially declared a god, even though it had been obvious for everybody since his birth.

naravas.jpg

Ptolemy VIII Naravas became the pharaoh at the age of 25 in AUC 645

Whole of Egypt was in full ecstasy as it was ruled by a true god. All except the stubborn spartans, to whome no amount of sensible words seemed to be enough.

Naravas decided that the trouble with Seleucids must be ended for good. The glorious Egyptian army marched east and slaughtered the evil Seleucid armies. Unfortunately the ever devious Pontus and Numidia took advantage of the situation, and declared war on Rome whose independence Egypt had guaranteed.

As Numidia was ruled by the fellow god Polyperchon the divine, Naravas was forced to put a curse only on Pontus. Naravas declared: "May Pontus lay in ruins before she can feast on the fruits of her evil conquest of the valiant Romans!". Pontus would soon learn what it means to anger a god. Only two years later Pontus did lay in ruins, as brother attacked brother, wives burned husbands and the waves of civil war reached every corner of the Pontus empire. However, Naravas had a stern discussion with Polyperchon, and it became apparent Pontus had lured Numidia into the war against Rome with lies, and ditched Numidia to fight alone as soon as it happened to fit Pontus.

The issues with the stubborn spartans had to come to an end. In 656 the great fleet of Egypt was sailing from Alexandria toward southern Greece. Naravas landed, and a vast crowd of tens of thousands of spartans was gathered. Naravas took one gaze on the crowd, and uttered "BEHAVE, YOU ARE EGYPTIANS!". As of a stroke of lighnting the gathered crowd immediatly forgot the greek language, and they spoke only egytian from then on. The crowd was dancing in joy, having witnessed the greatness of their god-pharaoh. With a nod Naravas boarded his royal ship again, and the great fleet of Egypt set sail back towards Alexandria.

The pacifying of the Seleucids going according to the plans, Naravas spent much time improving the earthly good of his loyal minions. In 661 Naravas ordered organised trade centers to be opened in all cities and larger towns. Soon enough egyptian trade was blooming as never before. Even though taxes were universally lowered and the ongoing military operations in east required much funding, the state coffers were in very good shape. To further show the greatness of Egypt, all new public building were ordered to be built at a minimum size which would have a few decades earlier been considered insanely large.

In 665, at the age of 45, Naravas ascended to the heavens, and left the throne to his divine son Psammuthes, perhaps the greatest of all pharaos Egypt has been blessed with.

The world in 665

I would have thought the Seleucids were long divided between Pontus and Egypt. The pharaos sure looks like the weakest of the three player nations.

Last edited:
I assume this AAR has passed on to a better place, but is it perhaps possible to get a quick epilogue? It must've all ended in a massive bloodbath and I would like to know who remained standing in the end. :)

Thanks!

I assume this AAR has passed on to a better place, but is it perhaps possible to get a quick epilogue? It must've all ended in a massive bloodbath and I would like to know who remained standing in the end. :)
Right you are - given that the AAR is so very close to the interesting and completely unanticipated ending of the game, surely you deserve a completely unbiased report of the last few years of the game, revealing who was the good guy all along and who were dirty rotten scoundrels. :)

Or something like that.

I'll get right on it, should my co-conspirators not preempt me.

Right you are - given that the AAR is so very close to the interesting and completely unanticipated ending of the game, surely you deserve a completely unbiased report of the last few years of the game, revealing who was the good guy all along and who were dirty rotten scoundrels. :)

Or something like that.

I'll get right on it, should my co-conspirators not preempt me.

If that would be true... ;):p

Egypt won. More details to follow in the near future.

The clear victor was Numidia. Details slowly being engraved by slaves first class.