• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Blasted Numidia: 584-599
- That Incident Past The Sea -​

In 584, the young king Djedhor presented his generals with his most cunning plan to conquer Sicily via a diversionary invasion of Hispania and told them to execute it:

A very cunning plan indeed
numidiawarplan584.jpg

Of the companion cavalry, fifty thousand strong, who were sent to “kill all the Romans in Hispania”, eight in ten died from attrition and half the remainder died in the unending string of skirmishes that the companions got embroiled in. Finally the last 1800 men were evacuated by the navy mere days before a thirty thousand strong army of heavy infantry could eradicate it.

Meanwhile, the navy kept sailing in circles near the Roman coast while Roman armies marched down through Hispania and into Mauretania. The foremost generals of the Galestids, Charistids, and Penamids had to agree, though, that the catastrophic casualties suffered were, in retrospect, not really worth mentioning when compared to those suffered once Djedhor reached his majority in 587 and insisted on personally leading the troops.

Good news was scarce in the war, but the huge sea battle of Mare Africanum in 587, where Nicodemus Senuid's 56 triremes decisively defeated Gaius Laelius 58 triremes off the coast of Carthage, gave Numidia the uncontested control of the western mediterranean for several years and allowed limited landings of troops on the islands under Roman control, starting with Corsica and Sardinia and ultimately leading to the investment of Sicily itself.

Further shipbuilding was ordered to offset the casualties and to enable a smaller fleet to block the straits of Gibraltar, bottling up Rome's forces in Hispania, only letting a few through when the Numidian army in Tingis was ready to defeat anybody crossing the strait.

By 590 the manpower reserves were all used up and Djedhor ordered the invasion of Roma itself for the purpose of breaking Rome's manpower and in the desperate hope that it would bring the Senate to see the wisdom of not spamming him with white peace offers, but actually being willing to give up a province or two as testimony to its defeat.

Breaking the remaining Roman navy
numidiabattleofmaretusc.jpg

The remainder of the Roman navy was easily forced into harbour, and the great general Neferibre Naravid (MAR=9) led his elite army ashore, weak in numbers but strong in tradition and with hardened veterans of the Hispania campaign, who hardly whimpered in their sleep any longer, amongst them.

Unfortunately, against all advice to the contrary, Djedhor had appointed his old tutor, the Royal Treasurer Peneus Naravid (MAR=2), who so wanted to help his protege, to the post of Strategos, and somehow he managed to take control of all the armies in Roma from his cousin. He had also been allowed to eat meat and use sharp instruments.

Peneus Naravid somehow takes charge in the fighting in Roma
numidiapeneusinrome590.jpg

This necessitated desperate reinforcements stripping Africa of nearly all troops save those necessary to defend the Gibraltar straits, but eventually the siege of Rome got going and Neferibre Naravid took control of the forces after Peneus Naravid got the prestigious job of commanding two triremes on anti-smuggling duty in the capital of Hippo Regius.

With the war dragging on for years, politics went on as usual, and on the 11th of October, 592, Gulussa, Djedhor's heir, died of natural causes due to a freak driving accident with a tuned unlicensed elephant, the less said the better. The Chief Eunuch Isocrates Ahmid read the eulogy, which provided a much needed moment of hilarity during the otherwise bleak war and sorry social scene..

Gulussa, heir to the throne, dies of natural causes
numidiatragicaccident59.jpg

The war was dragging into the final phase when unexpectedly the Roman allies turned up. With Senuid chasing down the last 25 Roman triremes, he was surprised off the coast of Sicily when the Achaean League sent a fleet of 31 triremes under an extremely experienced admiral who, joining the Romans, proceeded to destroy half the Numidian fleet and chase the remainder into harbour in Carthage, leaving the troops in Italy stranded.

On the 8th of June, 593, the Roman senate agreed to sign a peace treaty granting Corsica and Syracuse to Numidia and there was much rejoicing in Numidia that the war was finally over.

With exceedingly high war exhausting, few armies in the field, and no manpower, it was clearly time to rest. The king himself, not altogether pleased with the performance of the military during the war, began studying tactics and strategy, intent on prosecuting future wars on a more professional basis.

It has been said that oftentimes the best laid plans go awry. There were, amongst the nobility, several treacherous critics who were not altogether satisfied with the expenses of the war, the gains or the war, the actions of the government, or, to be more precise, who could not stand Djedhor's rulership. This came to a head on January 11, 596, when a conspiracy of Isocrates Ahmid and Peneus Naravid was discovered over the demobilization of a few dozen regiments and triremes that had crews more loyal to the court than to king and led to total civil war. Of the old government, only the Chief Torturer remained loyal. The tattered remnants of the army and navy, having suffered so much over the last decade, stayed loyal too.

January 11, 596 AUC: Peneus Naravid and friends have finally had enough...
numidiacivilwar596.jpg

Fortunately, the rebels were defeated within a year.

Unfortunately, the truce with Rome expired on the 8th of June, 598, and while Rome had had time to rebuild its armies, Numidia had not and had higher war exhaustion than ever, with a navy that, while in a considerably better state than the armies, had only barely recovered from its mauling by the combined fleets of Rome and the Achaean League.

As such, it should come as no surprise to anybody that Rome declared war on Numidia immediately on the expiration of the truce, throwing the young king Djedhor head first into a second “Incident Past the Sea” that he had not anticipated.

Last edited:
Win is win, though I have a feeling that you paid little to high price for these conquests. And now, when Romans have declared war upon you, you may loose those newly conquered territories, you paid such a high price for, not the most pleasant prospect. Hopefully Carthagian navy will save the day once more.

In one word: ouch! :eek:

In slightly more words: that's a painful sequence of events. Looking forward to seeing how you square this particular circle. :D

If it's not considered impolite to mention mere chance to a mathematician such as yourself, I'll wish you good luck (and yes, I do realize that the upcoming events in the narrative have played out previously in the game). :)

I forgot to mention former Numidian nobles immigrated to Egypt after the Numidian civil war. Most of the ex-Numidian nobles found work in the Egyptian court real fast :)

Secret History of Pontus: 599-616
- The early reign of Arganos the Great -​

“Welcome back class, today we continue our study of Pontus during a period of great upheaval and treachery from within the royal family itself! We will discuss the death of two kings and the arrival on the world stage of Arganos Mithridatis, known to history as Arganos the Great.

“Before we go further can you all please turn to page 652 of Dr Barnes A secret history of Pontus and take a look at the census data he’s compiled on the major Mediterranean nations of this period. They say the good Doctor spent over 5 years developing a ratings method for the technological and cultural development of each country which he provides as a numerical technology number in the second table. It is no surprise to see that Egypt is ranked culturally supreme over this period and the gap between her and her rivals is only set to increase over the coming years. If you should take one thing away from studying this data it is the realisation of just how backwards Pontus was compared to her neighbours.

Code:
[u][b]599 Manpower census:                        616 Manpower Census:[/b][/u]

Pontus        968/mnth    117k Max          2207/mnth – 270k Max
Egypt         1320/mnth   162k Max          1741/mnth – 220k Max
Numidia       1398/mnth   170k Max          1790/mnth – 218k Max
Rome          1395/mnth   165k Max          1295/mnth - 153k Max
*Seleucid’s   unable to estimate, embroiled in civil war
Code:
[b]                         599 Census                        616 Census[/b]
[u][b]                Income  Research  Tech Rating     Income  Research  Tech Rating[/b][/u]

Egypt            22.5     22.9       13.0          26.2     43.8       15.0
Numidia          21.0     11.0       10.2          23.6     14.3       11.0
Pontus           22.7     4.30        9.0          40.0     6.20       9.4
*Seleucid’s      19.4     10.6       10.8          33.5     10.6       11.8
Rome             17.0     21.4       11.0          15.2     25.0       13.0
*Seleucid Empire embroiled in civil war

“If we based our views on the Hollywood blockbuster we might imagine Pontus a vibrant exciting kingdom to live in, but the reality is that under the long reign of Pharnaces and the rather briefer one of his son Peithon, the kingdom pursued a policy of enslaving those people they conquered and channelling the wealth of conquest into a small elite ruling class.

“If we take a step back and look at Pharnaces more closely we know he came to the throne in middle age and yet still reign for 47 years, finally dying at the ripe old age of 81 in the year 610. Under his reign the kingdom had seen great expansion, yet he above all others was to blame for the backward ways of the nation and the creation of a ruling class that feared change, a situation that placed the kingdom in a precarious position vis a vis the vibrant, technically supreme kingdom of Egypt that was expanding ever closer from the south and pursuing ever more belligerent policies where Pontus interests lay.

“Peithon was 41 years old when he assumed his brief 2 year reign in 610, and his son Arganos was already 17 at the time and already taking an active interest in court. Neither Peithon nor Arganos seem to have reckoned with their aunt Antigone Mithridatid, the youngest sister of the old king Pharnaces . . .

“If we are to believe legend she was sired by the first King Mithridatid, the one who gave his name to the dynasty on his wedding night, and coincidentally the day he died aged 65. Whether this last is true or just an amusing story, what is true is that Pharnaces’ half sister was only 36 years old at the time of his death and third in line to the throne after Peithon and Arganos.

“Whether the ambition was her own or that of her husband Ardashir Mendit, what is known is that she admitted to slipping poison into the cup of Peithon at a banquet held to celebrate the second anniversary of his rule, and then tried to do the same to Arganos just a couple of weeks later during the festivities following Arganos’ ascension to the throne, resulting in one of Arganos’ first acts being to order the execution of his aunt and her husband. If you turn to page 681 we can see a photograph of one of the early classical statues of Arganos in all his glory.”

Arganos1.jpg

“At only 19, and with no heir, Arganos faced many challenges in those early years. The country was at war with the Seleucid Empire and many in the nobility questioned his ability to lead at such a time. There is mention that some amongst the court petitioned the general Manchihir Savacid to take the crown, and although it is likely the popular general was tempted, he remained loyal to the young king until his death and was key to securing victory over the Seleucid Empire in the war Arganos had inherited from his father.

Manchihr1.jpg

“That Arganos managed to survive those early years without open revolt whilst at the same time driving the Seleucid Empire once and for all out of Asia Minor is testament to his political as well as strategic skills. It is said that he recognised from the earliest age that the only way for Pontus to be safe from Egypt was to quickly secure the safety of those remaining Greek settlements along the southern coast of Asia Minor before the Ptolemy’s pulled another trick like they had with Lycia. Even then we know from Arganos’ own early writings that he was convinced Pontus needed to grow and grow quickly if she was to ever be safe from foreign oppression, and beyond even expansion he was intent on modernising the country, a task he wouldn’t begin in earnest until after the completion of the Seleucid war in 616 which finally secured Pontus’ immediate borders.”

“Let’s end the lesson by taking a quick look at the extent of Pontus’ realm just prior to the upheaval that was to follow during those great reform years:”

Pontus in 616
Pontus616.jpg

Last edited:
Win is win, though I have a feeling that you paid little to high price for these conquests.
The feeling is mutual and it must be said that compared to the costs that Jarkko and Wyvern have had taking high value provinces from the ever civil-war stricken Seleucids, it is almost enough to make one break down in tears, were one not a manly man who prefers whimpering in a dark corner instead. :D

And now, when Romans have declared war upon you, you may loose those newly conquered territories, you paid such a high price for, not the most pleasant prospect. Hopefully Carthagian navy will save the day once more.
Ok, cut it right there. First "loose" != "lose". :p

Second, while I may have fought a war with the strategic acumen of a concussed duckling (and having forgotten just how vicious the attrition rules really are), there are limits. Regardless of the game I am playing, I do not ever lose a war against an AI opponent unless it is by design, it is a classic two player game like chess or backgammon, or I am outnumbered by truly grotesque margins, neither of which are applicable to this particular game. :)

Jarkko said:
I forgot to mention former Numidian nobles immigrated to Egypt after the Numidian civil war. Most of the ex-Numidian nobles found work in the Egyptian court real fast
Yes. I quite liked them too back when they were working for me. One could almost believe that I had appointed the best and the brightest to the court. GNAGNAGNAGNAGNA. :mad:

EDIT: Hmm, is it just me, or is the screenshot of "A very cunning plan indeed" in the top of my last entry occasionally missing?

Last edited:
The numidian torturer better be good at this job.
Maybe the whole rebellion was only game between the courtiers.

The others go hiding, the torturer searches for them with an army and if he catches those hiding, he can torture them.
But if those in hiding manage to get an army and occupy in secrecy the bases of the torturer, they win the game. :cool:

Mmm, I think the Romans just stumbeled in an Utmost Cunning Numidian Plan...

EDIT: Hmm, is it just me, or is the screenshot of "A very cunning plan indeed" in the top of my last entry occasionally missing?
No it's not just you. It is showing missing for me as I write this, though it wasn't yesterday :confused:.

No it's not just you. It is showing missing for me as I write this, though it wasn't yesterday :confused:.
And now I see it again. I haven't used imageshack much before - perhaps it is an issue with a timeout on the specific request for that picture (whatever server they are storing it on), a more general imageshack problem or, more likely, it is due to some nefarious Egyptian plot.

In either (or neither) case, I have now made the title of the picture into a link to the picture such that people who do not see the picture should be able to force a load of it, insofar as the server it is on is contactable.

Pontus is looking far more impressive than I remember from the last screenshot! Hmm... It's purple on the political map and it's centered on Asia Minor. Time to fast-track discovery of Christianity and proclaim yourself the New Rome! :)

Pontus is looking far more impressive than I remember from the last screenshot! Hmm... It's purple on the political map and it's centered on Asia Minor. Time to fast-track discovery of Christianity and proclaim yourself the New Rome! :)
Oh, you just wait for the next Pontus AAR... That purple-coloured map starts to hurt the eyes...

Eternal Egypt: 599-616
- The Reign of Ptolemy V Epiphanes, part IV -

Ptolemy V celebrated his 60th anniversary in 605. Great feasts were organised around Egypt. Especially the people in Lycia, the latest of the old Egyptian core-lands to have been re-united with the eternal kingdom, were organising massive scale public feasts. Ptolemy V had never before been this popular amongst his people, and, as history later proved, he would never be as popular.

The situation in Seleucids got more and more anarchistic. The nation was still in the civil war which had lasted nearly two decades. No matter how many security forces Egypt sent to pacify rebels in Seleucid kingdom, new rebellions always began. The matter was not by no means eased by the fact that Pontus delibarately chewed large tracts of land off of Seleucids, and they were also inciting revolts all over the nation of Seleucids. In a matter of few years Pontus doubled her land areas, and if it hadn't been for the diplomatic actions of Egypt, Seleucids would have been annexed by Pontus. Permanent Egyptian security forces were left in Syria to guarantee the flow of trade in the area, to act as guards against Pontus' aggression.

In the west Numidia waged a terrible war with Rome. Despite the valiance of Rome, it began to seem like Numidia would defeat Rome utterly. Pharoh Ptolemy sent his own son Amyrteos to a diplomatic mission to Numidia and Rome to help negotiate peace, but especially Numidia rejected the help with out right hostility. Amyrteos returned to Alexandria, where he apparently was severly reprimanded by his father for lack of back-bone in face of the stubborn Numidians and Romans. The end result of the war was that Numidia gained vast tracts of land from Rome in the peace. Egypt was now practically sandwiched between the two giants of Pontus and Numidia

A graph showing the provinces held by Pontus, Numidia and Egypt at 616.

The last twenty years of Ptolemy V's reign has also been called "the age of roads". Massive scale road-building were undertaken all over the kingdom, and even on the islands minor roads were built. Ptolemy was first and most concernded with the mobility of his armies, because while Egypt did not hold vast land areas such as Pontus or Numidia, the lands under Egyptian rule formed a long narrow string. Ptolemy still did remember very well how Seleucids had decades ago nearly attacked Alexandria because the Egyptian forces were not able to get into defensive positions swiftly enough.

While the new excellent roads would in the future prove invaluable to the Egyptian armies, the more immediate benefit was for trade and culture. With safe and reliable roads goods could be traded to and from inland, when in the past the trade had been practically the privilege of the coastal people. Egyptian goods found their way to Rhoxolani, Italy, Dalmatia, Hispania, Numidia, Gaul and Asia. The trade was at first not much of an economic boost to Egypt because of the somewhat inefficient bureucracy and toll policies, but the cultural impact was immense. Egyptian manners and traditions spread all over the Mediterranean area, and the lesser peoples in west and north aped Egyptian culture in awe. Judea, Damascus, Pisidia, Cyrene and Cyrenaica saw their population throw away their silly old fashions and became firm followers of the Egyptian culture and the Egyptian way of life.

With Ptolemy getting older, the question of the next pharaoh became a more burning issue. While Amyrteos was the legal heir, he had little support in the court, or even in the Ptolemy family. Ptolemy V was during his last years suffering from his old age, and it became less and less clear who actually did rule Egypt when the pharaohs mind was not clear and present. Amyrteos as the apparent heir made the decissions, but it is claimed he was but a stample. The Ptolemy family seem to have practically formed an oligarchy, and the true power was held by Ptolemy family meetings.

In the end Amyrteos was forced to sign a legislation by which most non-Ptolemy family members in the court were replaced by members of the Ptolemy clan. In rage the displaced courtmembers began an open war. Egypt had once again succumbed to a civil war. However, the war seems to have been tooled by the Ptolemy family, and the rebellion was crushed fast. Amyrteos had during the war a fall out with his family, and altough in name he was the regent, the country was in fact led by general Psherenamum Ahmid (the general leading the loyalist forces) whose wife was a Ptolemy (the niece of Amyrteos Ptolemy).

In 616 peace was reigning all over Egypt, except the court. Then, at the age of 71, pharaoh Ptolemy V died.

Ptolemy V ruled for 66 years, during which time Egypt was first nearly destroyed by Seleucids, to become a local powerhouse well able to repel any invaders. During his reign Egypt transformed from a military kingdom to a golden kingdom were arts, religion, culture, philosophical thinking and technological innovations formed the basis on which the nation was built. Despite his short-comings as a person, Ptolemy V still had the divine insight to appoint the most capable people to the many demanding tasks needed. Ptolemy V is without doubt one of the greatest pharaohs in the history of Egypt.

The world in 616

It's impressive to see how Egypt tries to maneuver itself as the underdog...:p:D

What about a crusade against Rome?
Everyone better join.
Or backstab each other.
Oh, if you just knew what the two evil overlords were plotting at the time... I am happy I didn't know then what I know now, else I would have been crying myself to sleep every night for weeks :eek:

Don't look at the oh-so-innocent screenshot! Look at the tables at the top of the post and despair! And that's before the Pontificating King Arganos the Terribly Scary really got going.

Wow, I just read Jarkko's piece. I wonder if the king's son with the spirited diplomacy was ONE OF THOSE ANNOYING DIPLOMATS TRYING TO TRADE SPICES TO MY NON-CARTHAGINIAN PROVINCES that Egypt spammed me with during the war. If not, I must have overlooked him. I am also pleased to hear about the VAST TRACTS OF LAND that I gained from Rome in that war. Not that I am unhappy with the victory I gained, as I gained strategically important tracts of land, but when taking Jarkko's 616 map and subtracting the 599 map and looking at Roman possessions changing hand, it is not exactly VAST TRACTS that comes to mind. :D

(In fact, the cunning eye will note that Rome grew more during those years than Numidia did due to relentless colonisation and conquest of the natives of Hispania and Gaul)

Last edited:
DIPLOMATS TRYING TO TRADE SPICES
Friends give gifts to each other. With the exception of elephants, spices are the most valuable trade goods, and Numidia has more than enough of elephants. As it is impossible to just *give* expensive trade goods to another player in the game, I tried to look for the crappiest of things Numidia has, and I saw you have several fish provinces with open trade routes. So, I asked if I may give you valuable beyond belief spices for a single fish, and what do I get as a response? Frothing madness with insults on top. Talk about shock treatment! :wacko: