• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lets do this maturely. You dont have to get offended if I am boldy argueing my points. Its not an attack against you. Show me the info, written documents... that is how you argue, not by "offending" me or trying to provoke me. :p

Well if you want people not getting offended you should try not to offend anyone yourself. Also this is writen text you can't know how someone feels when he is writing it. For example I didn't get offended of anything just said how you yourself sounded. One reason why I know that its not a myth as I have heard it said all my life from much older people. Its not invented by some hollywood movie. It has been around a lot longer than Pirates of the Caribbean movies and any other movie it has been in. Its just hard to give sources when its stories heard from people who are already dead. If you want other people to act maturely then do so yourself. In several of your post you belittle the other person and keep stating that you are right and he is wrong. You can't even agree that it might be possible you just bondly declare its not so. That doesn't sound mature in my books.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O225-superstitionsofsailors.html

Also I found this page on the net that mentions women being bad luck and it gives a book as a source. The Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea is the books name. It also states that superstition was help up by fishermans to the end of 19th century. So it does sound that it was around long before Hollywood. Hope this is enogh proof for you.

Last edited:
One reason why I know that its not a myth as I have heard it said all my life from much older people. Its not invented by some hollywood movie. It has been around a lot longer than Pirates of the Caribbean movies and any other movie it has been in.
But that IS how myths are made and perpetrated for centuries. People make stuff up then pass it on and many people continue to support the original story without there ever being a shred of evidence.

I'm not coming down on the side of the argument or against it as I have no particular interest in the matter, but if 2, or 3 or 300 generations of people tell the same story, that doesn't make it factual.

It makes it a myth, if there is no supporting evidence. And any link on the internet is useless, even Wikis as these are written mostly by non-professionals. You need books with source refererences, or online academic papers, again with source references.

It makes it a myth, if there is no supporting evidence. And any link on the internet is useless, even Wikis as these are written mostly by non-professionals. You need books with source refererences, or online academic papers, again with source references.

Still his statement of him not needing to prove it as some urban legend is not enogh explanation either. Usually urban legends are known how they were born and in some cases when. Also in this case its not a urban legend it didn't born in the last 200 years it origins is in 1600-1800 not in 1900-2000. That makes it a folklore, but he claimed it was invented by some Hollywood movie when it has been around long before that and that was my point. It doesn't make it an urban legend. Also I stated the book where that myth is mentioned and that book is seen one of the most comprehensive and authoritative reference books of its kind about anything about sea. I didn't link the site because of the information but because it uses information from that book its not anybodys own opinion.

Last edited:
To try and get things back on topic, I would also like to see a sandbox mode option as well.

In my opinion I think the only way the sand box game should end is if you are the only country left. (meaning, if you can destroy all the other countries and their ships, that would be the only way to end the game)

To try and get things back on topic, I would also like to see a sandbox mode option as well.

In my opinion I think the only way the sand box game should end is if you are the only country left. (meaning, if you can destroy all the other countries and their ships, that would be the only way to end the game)

Very true but I truly feel that the devs feel like they are right in not having a "sandbox mode" without having to tinker with the in game files. Its poor judgement as you are basically saying if you want to play sandbox mode fine you can but we wont do it your going to have to do it yourself.....what dev. does that? People have spoken but yet they CHOOSE to ignore it ....thats ok ill be the first one to say "I tried to tell you a sandbox mode should have at LEAST been an option" when 1799 rolls around! I simply cant beilive that no sandbox mode was not included let me just bust my back and get my company to become really big so that i can give it up in the year 1800 and get my name in a cool top ten book ...pfft please.

People have spoken but yet they CHOOSE to ignore it

You mean the tens of thousands of people who were protesting in Helsinki and Kotka ? Or the 100.000 people who signed the internet petition ?

Just relax and see how the game will work out. I mean, IF there is something to worry about, then it should be the AI as in all these games.

You mean the tens of thousands of people who were protesting in Helsinki and Kotka ? Or the 100.000 people who signed the internet petition ?

Just relax and see how the game will work out. I mean, IF there is something to worry about, then it should be the AI as in all these games.

Lol listen to this guy "Relax" hey im totallly calm its not my name on the cover so im in a pretty good spot right now but for the devs. thats a totallly diff. question who ignores the wishes of many PC Pirate genre gamers by asking the customers Whats the point of playing a game for an extended amount of period...lol. Im ok with the fact that they decieded to ignore many people that stated here that including a sandbox mode would be the least thing they could do but to tell us we are somehow wrong for feeling this way.....not a very bussiness like approach at all. Im sure the game will be great but not to at least go the extra 5min. to write a single cont. program to include sandbox mode for your final title work .....sorry thats just lazy and sloppy.

I believe the devs have already stated there is an open mode where the user can play however they wish without needing to meet any requirements. I believe they have also said the above description is pretty much how it works. When you defeat all the others it is pretty much game over or it ends at 1800.

What more are you asking for? Do you wish the time frame to continue into modern steam ship then into a space travel format between the planets? How far do you want it to go? The last I looked the word box defines a boundary.

:rolleyes:

Greg.

Very true but I truly feel that the devs feel like they are right in not having a "sandbox mode" without having to tinker with the in game files. Its poor judgement as you are basically saying if you want to play sandbox mode fine you can but we wont do it your going to have to do it yourself.....what dev. does that? People have spoken but yet they CHOOSE to ignore it ....thats ok ill be the first one to say "I tried to tell you a sandbox mode should have at LEAST been an option" when 1799 rolls around! I simply cant beilive that no sandbox mode was not included let me just bust my back and get my company to become really big so that i can give it up in the year 1800 and get my name in a cool top ten book ...pfft please.

It's one of those things that the Devs have made their choices and designed the game based on what they think works and what they think people want.

They know how the game works. They know what compromises they made in design to make it work (i.e. what they put in and what they left out).
Based on all of that they made their decisions.

Are they right?

Maybe.

All you can do is make your case for your point of view and maybe influence the Devs.
FWIW I did this in another game. It's all you can do.

Maybe you are right?

In a couple of months we will know.

It's one of those things that the Devs have made their choices and designed the game based on what they think works and what they think people want.

They know how the game works. They know what compromises they made in design to make it work (i.e. what they put in and what they left out).
Based on all of that they made their decisions.

Are they right?

Maybe.

All you can do is make your case for your point of view and maybe influence the Devs.
FWIW I did this in another game. It's all you can do.

Maybe you are right?

In a couple of months we will know.

Yea your right just sucks that its not just my feelings about it othes have showen the devs that the customers want an Open Sandbox Mode but yet they ignore the PAYING customer. Not really bussiness like if you ask me but your right I hope they change their minds and include it i mean what harm would it do if they included it anyways really think about it. It does more harm NOT to include it then to include thats like basic 101 type of stuff.

Yea your right just sucks that its not just my feelings about it othes have showen the devs that the customers want an Open Sandbox Mode but yet they ignore the PAYING customer. Not really bussiness like if you ask me but your right I hope they change their minds and include it i mean what harm would it do if they included it anyways really think about it. It does more harm NOT to include it then to include thats like basic 101 type of stuff.
Did I miss something? One of the Devs said you can mod the game to change the ending date. Voila! Sandbox mode. Happy now?

Did I miss something? One of the Devs said you can mod the game to change the ending date. Voila! Sandbox mode. Happy now?

Yea thank you Devs for making the customer "DO IT THEMSELVES" nothing like the customer having to do it themselves im just glad i got on the forum to learn that we could even do it what about all the other customers who do not know about it.....OPPS yea that was great marketability :) some of us follow the crowds and others pave the way. I think its going to be a great game but why not include sandbox mode in the final product rather then to tell the customers " Meh if you want to play sandbox mode you can do it yourself"? Why would you want to limit yourself like that like i said before the goal is to accommodate gameplay not restrict it. :p

Yea thank you Devs for making the customer "DO IT THEMSELVES" nothing like the customer having to do it themselves im just glad i got on the forum to learn that we could even do it what about all the other customers who do not know about it.....OPPS yea that was great marketability :) some of us follow the crowds and others pave the way. I think its going to be a great game but why not include sandbox mode in the final product rather then to tell the customers " Meh if you want to play sandbox mode you can do it yourself"? Why would you want to limit yourself like that like i said before the goal is to accommodate gameplay not restrict it. :p

:wacko:
Dude whats the problem???

You have been given a very simple way to achieve what is inferred as your desired outcome. :eek:

If your that unhappy about the issues resolution show the developers by not purchasing their product.

Give it a rest. :eek:

Greg.

I find it a little bizzare that it stops in 1800 (1650 in the beta), because the real life EIC actually became defunct in 1858, and was formally disbanded some 15 years later in 1873, when it was dissolved and it's activities were absorbed by the British Raj in India.
I do agree that a sandbox mode would be good, it may not be realistic to be using Ships Of The Line and East Indiaman during the 1940's for example, but in a sandbox mode does anyone really care about realism? I noticed on the Beta that there is a free mode, which only runs till 1750, this would be the perfect place to extend. As a self vindication, I also play Railroad Tycoon 3, and in a Scenario, where you can keep going after the scenario is won or lost, I am currently in the middle of the 21st century, with a fortune of several billion dollars, and am still playing; Why? Because it appeals to my megalomaniac tendancies. That is why I would like to see the free mode extended.

I find it a little bizzare that it stops in 1800 (1650 in the beta), because the real life EIC actually became defunct in 1858, and was formally disbanded some 15 years later in 1873, when it was dissolved and it's activities were absorbed by the British Raj in India.
I do agree that a sandbox mode would be good, it may not be realistic to be using Ships Of The Line and East Indiaman during the 1940's for example, but in a sandbox mode does anyone really care about realism? I noticed on the Beta that there is a free mode, which only runs till 1750, this would be the perfect place to extend. As a self vindication, I also play Railroad Tycoon 3, and in a Scenario, where you can keep going after the scenario is won or lost, I am currently in the middle of the 21st century, with a fortune of several billion dollars, and am still playing; Why? Because it appeals to my megalomaniac tendancies. That is why I would like to see the free mode extended.

:D......Thank you I rest my case i've been trying to explain this to not only "novice" gamers on here but to the devs but instead they either A) tell me if you dont like it dont buy or B) Try to change my ideas about it.....none of which make sense to me if you wish to expand your client reach. I said over and over that the game looks great and im sure the gameplay is great BUT no sandbox mode.....really the whole 5 secs. it would take to rewrite the program but its not about money or time its about making a point sticking with your guns so to speak or "hardheadedness" to see that that their are a very large amount of people that love to play in sandbox mode....sorry but i will not be silenced by runarounds and weak arguments. Im still going to buy the game bc it is going to be great and they have at the very min. made it up to the "CUSTOMER" to create a sandbox mode not the way i would do buss. but some people have a harder time looking at the bigger picture.

Game speed?

i read a ton of these posts so far. i haven't seen an answer to the 1 guy who asked about game speed. IMO port royal 2 would be the best game to have gone off with this EIC. the 1 thing missing from PR2 was the abillity to be on a ship and sail the seas in a real-time or real-time-type manner. the water and ship graphics i've seen look crazy sweet for EIC. i only hope i can take the game speed down nice and slow.
i will add that what i've read a lot about the depth of the trading, advancement or even construction of buildings (manufacturing or otherwise), and over-all lack of features for in-depth and long term game play and it's quite discouraging indeed. port royal 2 may just have to remain my fave untill some1 who isn't a p.c. caveman like me makes add-ons or mods come out. anyhew... if some1 who has it or played it or an ultra-kind DEV. could let me know if we can slow 'er down i would appretiate it. thank you folx!