• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lots of control over unit design, and that is always a good thing. Nice also that the map can be modded, easily.

I am interested in finding out more about the actual "event" set up of the game, and the use of AI scripts. Anyway of getting an idea of how event and AI programing is structured? How many modable event commands there are, how many AI parameters there are and so on?

Could a list be made available?

Also about the global modifiers: Are they universally applied, and then modified on a country by country basis, as it is in HOI II? Can one change the command limits for commanders, on a country by country basis, for example?

Please add my vote to this.

I've looked through the existing EU3 scripting documentation which is useful to start to understand the decision/event/Time to Live triggers etc. However, many of the event commands are very era specific (fine for making Stalin the new Holy Roman Emperor, but not necessarily useful for a 1936-48 scenario). So reasonable to assume a new, more relevant, command set has been created - it would be wonderful to get info on what these are. I'm keen to get a handle on how to migrate event chains from HOI2->HOI3 - spent quite a lot of time in modelling Soviet industry relocation and reserve mobilisation plan and whilst some of this will certainly no longer be relevant in HOI3, some of it will be.

The AI scripting seems to be entirely new and I managed to find no documentation on it at all (other that a console command to show AI state). I am really keen to understand the scope of what can be done with it. In principle, it seems that we will have a wonderfully rich environment to work with (lua), but it all hangs on the connect points between such scripting and the underlying Paradox engine - which is currently unknown. Just a view of some sample scripts would be great start in beginning to understand this.

EDIT: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408870 started this thread on the subject

Last edited:
more like eu3, but not entirely similar.

Thanks for that something new, have to wait for the demo I suppose.

Ahhh when is that coming out by the way? :)

Each theatre area gets an HQ by default. If a new theatre is created then a new HQ appears, [...]

Can theatre HQs still be built? Could you have more than one theatre HQ in one of the theatres that the AI calculates?

Can theatre HQs still be built? Could you have more than one theatre HQ in one of the theatres that the AI calculates?

no.

theatre hq's are always tied to its theatre.

Is there a delay when swapping out a theatre HQ's leader for another?
Otherwise I could have the same effect as two HQs by just hopping back and forth by two leaders as needed.

Excelet, very good for modding...

no.

theatre hq's are always tied to its theatre.

...so what do they do? I mean, if you can't build them, there must be something that they do that other HQs don't, otherwise why limit the number?

Can carriers be modded so multiple CAGs could be attached? (then we could split CAGs into smaller units with "CV fighters", "CV dive bombers", "CV torpedo bombers", etc

Can carriers be modded so multiple CAGs could be attached? (then we could split CAGs into smaller units with "CV fighters", "CV dive bombers", "CV torpedo bombers", etc

A CV will carry 2 CAGs.
A CVL will carry only 1.
SO I guess- yes it will be moddable.

Where was this mentioned?? Far as I know CVś simply have 1 CAG and their hangar size determines how effective they are; possibly making a CVL having a much smaller hangar size.

Somewhere in the discussion after the last week's DD.

This is really fantastic news... I think Paradox has given us the best of both worlds... They've made the system streamlined in the vanilla game for easier (but still deep) play..... but they've given us enough flexibility that those of us interested in even deeper play can mod to our hearts content....

Battalion mod - possible (this will be very popular I think.. making for pretty historically accurate OOBs)

Air Force mod (smaller more numerous air units that can be in more places at once.. and with added plane types!)

CAG mod - separate out the fighters from the torpedo and dive bombers

Just great work paradox... and I really hope people stop arguing about brigade vs regiment vs battalion... Paradox is going to give us the tools to mod the game to represent units the way we want them!.. what more could we want!

...so what do they do? I mean, if you can't build them, there must be something that they do that other HQs don't, otherwise why limit the number?

Don't they have unlimited command range? And if so, they never leave the capitol. So as a military unit that can engage in combat they do not exist. Just a thought...