• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi Marty,

It looks like you may be having the same problem as this guy:

uk.gamespot .com/pc/action/penumbrablackplague/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-41632848&pid=943291

Hi there,

I just bought the retail game and tried to install it on a PC with Windows Vista but the cd always freeze the pc until I took it off. Tried installing it on a PC with Xp and didn't have any problem. Also took the newest drivers and still couldn't install it on the first pc.

Is it a problem with Vista or from the cd itself?

Thanks for the answers.

----------------------------

REPLY from DEVELOPER
I have heard that vista makes some sort ofverificationon the installer on the CD as the CD runs the installer with an autorun. If you hold on for a while the installer should start after a while. If not try and copy the installer to the hard drive and then run it from there.

----------------------------

It takes quite some time to recognize the cd and after taht another ten or so minutes to start the setup file. I found it easiest to remember the name of the file and type it into the "execute" box. You'll have to wait quite a few minutes but it will definitely work

You dont say if you are running XP or Vista.

Im running XP, and there is a short delay for me too, but eventually the installer begins.

If you have Vista you may want to ensure that your windows account has Administrator priviledges.
If you are running XP, you may want to do the same.

You should also try copying the installer file to the hard-drive and running it from there.

It seems though you are going to have to run it and be a little patient.

Thank you so very much for helping me. I executed the file from the CD and then just waited. After about 8 minutes the installer started and the game installed. Now I will attempt to play it.
I never finished Overture because I couldn't kill the darn DOG! So I finally gave up.
I am an old broad game player a little short on patience.
Again,
Thank you

Thank you so very much for helping me. I executed the file from the CD and then just waited. After about 8 minutes the installer started and the game installed. Now I will attempt to play it.
I never finished Overture because I couldn't kill the darn DOG! So I finally gave up.
I am an old broad game player a little short on patience.
Again,
Thank you
No problem. :)

I play the odd board game too. There are lots of people on these boards who play them to. You'll find them in the OT forum of this site. On occasion there are people looking to play boardgames online.

As for Overture. Its well worth getting to the end. Which DOG was the problem? Try looking at the link for the developers site Frictional, posted above. There arent many posts and the hints may help you out some more.

I found BP to be an evern better adv/horror/survival game than Overture.

Good luck with getting to the end. There are some tough puzzles to get through first!

Thats the one behind the door with the bars? In the maze of tunnels and rooms pitched in darkness. If you pick up one of the cylinders or boxes and just stay in the light by the door, youll be able to see him coming and then throw the item at him. Do this continually until it dies.

Also try to make sure that your throw is straight on, otherwise the item will go off into the darkness and your character will get squished. Tried a few times before I got the mutt.