• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kebzero

Will Play For Food
119 Badges
May 30, 2008
  • Sengoku
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • For The Glory
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Cosmopoli-Taint; A Blue Within Blue World - France AAR

...yes, I know, I know. You're supposed to fight the Big Blue Blob, not play them. Where's the challenge in playing France? If you're really hoping to get noticed, a World Conquest must be done with Mantua, Iroquis or the Ryukyu Islands.

With all due respect to the brilliantly mad buggers who've achieved such wonders - you're all way out of my league in skill, and since I'm also a big wuss, I'm taking the easy road for this, my first, pitiful attempt at an AAR. :)

I've played EU3 since its release, and I've had a blast, especially once In Nomine was released. Yet, it was only the other day I actually played a game right up until 1821 - with France. I now hope to do so again, only much better.

Mind you, I'll probably still speak of and point out things that are blatantly obvious to you veterans. More likely, you'll tell me when and where I go horribly wrong, and mayhap have a good snicker in the process. :)

So, the name of the game is as follows:

France
1399 Grand Campaign start
EU3 In Nomine v3.2b.
Normal difficulty.
Lucky Nations off.
All other settings to default.

The goal?

Turning these modest beginnings:
FranceBeginning.jpg

into this union:
FranceEnd.jpg

...but preferably with far, far less BadBoy points than this:
BadBoy.jpg

As for a religious stance, the plan is to fill the Big Blue Blob with the Blue religion - Protestantism, making the world follow Europe's example here:
EuroProt.jpg

To summarize - as much land as possible to France, every province within France must be Protestant, and the the BB limit must never be crossed.

Short of how the game unfolds, there is no story here. I cannot promise boredom, but prospects are good. :)

By the way, I'm still learning the art of making decent screenshots - given that I play on a 1920x1080 screen resolution, details tend to get lost if I just resize the screenshots, rather than zoom in on the nifty bits. I'd already deleted the originals for the first AAR segments by the time it dawned on me the end product should be within an 800x600 frame to fit reasonably well within forum margins. :(

Some of these early screenshots are thus rather bad. Please forgive me - I hope to get better at this, in time.

Index
1 - Opening Gambits
2 - Seizing the north
3 - On A Mission From God
4 - The Fate of Burgundy
5 - Castillle cut short
6 - Preparations towards English agression
7 - Provence
8 - English Sunset, Connaught Surprise
9 - Dodging the English fleet
10 - Securing a corridor
11 - Nevers said 'never', France heard 'charge!'
12 - Word from Abroad
13 - Embracing the heathens... with chains
14 - The Portugal Gambit
15 - Settling Scores
16 - Overview, 15th of January 1448
17 - In Soviet Russia...
18 - Deeper into Africa
19 - Securing the southern Mediterranean coast
20 - Waiting and watching...
21 - The fate of Portugal
22 - Results Guaranteed
23 - Italian Brawls
24 - A Matter of Trade
25 - The Crown of Charlemagne
26 - Cleaning up the backyard
27 - Overview, 100 Year Mark (Oct. 14th, 1499)
28 - Mapping Mali, End of England, Founding of Finland
29 - Saving Catholics
30 - Denmark Downsized
31 - The Rise of Greater Brabant
32 - Naples' Descent, BadBoy Crescent
33 - Blue Within Blue
34 - Auvergne ends
35 - One Day, Nineteen Stability Lost
36 - Enforcing Protestantism
37 - 150 years of play - Overview Oct. 14th, 1549
38 - When in Rome...
39 - Taking the 'Great' out of Britain
40 - Great Lancaster
41 - Anarchy in the UK
42 - Securing the North African coastline
43 - Syrian Suicide
44 - The Great Disappearing Acts
45 - Defending Pagans
46 - Austrian Seamanship
47 - Wanted: Aragonese Monarch
48 - 200 years of play - Overview Oct. 14th, 1599
49 - Government Shuffle
50 - Pope on the move
51 - Ottoman issues
52 - Establishing new CoTs
53 - Defending Austria
54 - Bad Math
55 - Blessed Leadership
56 - Bavarian Bravery, Austrian Ambitions
57 - Stadtholder de Rieu's Achievements
58 - Bavarian influences
59 - The Last Tale of the Pagans
60 - Always fight a land war in Asia
61 - 250 years of play - Overview Jan 1st, 1650
62 - A Matter of Prestige
63 - Spotless Reputation
64 - Dealing with vassals
65 - Raging French Bull, Ming Chinashop
66 - One province, 250 regiments
67 - Persian Interference
68 - Asia meets Africa
69 - Europe goes Silesia
70 - Claiming the unknown
71 - Carthage and the Alps, Persia and the Himalayas
72 - 300 years of play - Overview Jan 1st, 1700
73 - Persia vs. Japan, take two
74 - Horde to the limit
75 - Bohemian Rhapsody
76 - Cruising at the limit
77 - Long Live HRE Saxony!
78 - Majapahit on the move
79 - Poland returns, Tirol disappears
80 - Gondwana rebuffed
81 - Let My People Go
82 - Indian breakdown, Persian trimmings
83 - The value of Diplomacy 9
84 - 350 years of play - Overview Jan 1st, 1750
85 - More colonists are needed
86 - Ending the Lancastrian-Scottish stalemate
87 - Racing for China
88 - Separating Turkey, Greece and China
89 - Diplomatic successes
90 - Foraging for France
91 - The end of Castillian inflation
92 - Dealing with Cretins
93 - Africa, all French
94 - Brandenburg's reprieve
95 - Ryukyu's End
96 - 400 years of play - Overview Jan 2nd, 1800
97 - Untimely deaths
98 - Warnings be damned
99 - One more war, just one more war
100 - Jan 2nd 1821 - End Game status and some 'Conclusions'
-END AAR-

Last edited:
Part 01 - Opening Gambits

EU3_1.jpg
Charlemagne would weep. His magnificent efforts reduced to this, and the HRE confederation. Charles the Mad, our current monarch, would lead us into even more dire straits. Alas, the odds of a young, profetic maiden coming to our rescue are slim, so we'd better strike our own fortune - starting with advisors.

EU3_2.jpg
Fortune smiles upon France - a sheriff to boost tax income and two artists to regain +3 stability as soon as at all possible.

EU3_3.jpg
Since stability is an undivided positive, we'll strive for it through the budget as well. Once +3 stability is achieved, Govt 4 is next, for that precious first National Idea.

EU3_4.jpg
Some slider moves are fairly desirable - but given that there are events that might move the sliders for us, there is no rush in pushing some of them. In fact, the best move for this France might be a very early preparation for the colonization efforts over a hundred years down the line - a move towards Naval.

EU3_5.jpg
Again, we luck out, gaining the positive outcome. Still, neither of the negative ones would have hurt much at this point; no army tradition to lose, and land investments would have been paid back by neighbor bonus by the time we plan to go for that.

EU3_6.jpg

EU3_7.jpg

EU3_8.jpg
...I suppose there is no question what nation is our first target. :)

Why Castille? Well, they will attack Granada, so we won't suffer the -1 stability nor a BadBoy point hit for declaring war. Others might let them live to colonize; I want to do that part myself - and that calls for a blue Iberia, as soon as our BadBoy reserves will permit. Moreover, Castille has quite a few non-Castillian culture provinces, and I so adore the defection event. ;)

EU3_11.jpg
Four thousand cavalry will not be enough; we need to raise a few more cavalry regiments.

EU3_13.jpg
Much as expected - on day one, Castille jumps Granada. They do so without building up forces, and without seeking allies first. While they send what they have south, we can invade freely from their entire western border.

EU3_14.jpg
Of course... this part is also a necessity. Wouldn't want Granada to make peace for us, with no gains to the French crown.

EU3_15.jpg
Far more insult than injury. No matter, they shall pay. ;)

France is great, don't worry about those players who have traumas from fighting the glorious blue blob ;)

And I can see that you are starting out with beating the Spanish and plan to convert to a reformed faith. That is something I definitely can relate to :D

Good luck with your WC.

Well, you couldn't possibly fail this, right? ;)
You should go for England and their continental holdings soon too.

FEEDBACK

Thanks, all - I honestly didn't think a France World Conquest on 'wuss' difficulty would result in this much interest. :)

France is great, don't worry about those players who have traumas from fighting the glorious blue blob ;)

And I can see that you are starting out with beating the Spanish and plan to convert to a reformed faith. That is something I definitely can relate to :D

Good luck with your WC.

Plan to beat the Castillians, yes - but convert to the Protestant faith. Reformed is nice too, but my France is not going to be a peaceful trader nation. ;)

And thanks - though I'm not sure a WC can be done without accruing more BB than one digit and a couple of decimals, as is the goal.

*subscribes*

Good luck.

Thanks. :)

Well, you couldn't possibly fail this, right? ;)
You should go for England and their continental holdings soon too.

Oh, I can fail, alright. This game does have a way of throwing you a curve ball when you least expect it - but in playing France, I feel fairly confident. :)

England shall be dealt with soon enough. ;)

Looks intriguing, something absurd!

France blobbing, absurd? :)

I have a feeling it won't take you the whole game to complete those goals =)

World Conquest with France is fairly easy, and complete conversion should be manageable with some planning - but doing it without crossing the BadBoy limit, as is my goal, is probably a tad harder. ;)

Good luck. By the way how many years will be needed to achieve WC? What's your opinion?

If I were to steamroll the world immediately, within the 1600s is entirely reasonable. However, my goal is to have next to no BadBoy points, so I'm not sure I can actually complete a World Conquest.

As I've shown, my previous attempt garnered over 900 points at game end - now I have to maintain an absolute max of thirty, but preferably never more than about ten.

WC is not the difficulty here, it's the no crossing the BB threshold rule.

Precisely. I've no idea if it can even be done. I won't have the Curia to help me past the early 1500s, either, and Cabinet is far up the tech tree. :)

Part 02 - Seizing the north

EU3_17.jpg
Our starting cavalry army heads in for reconnaisance, with the infantry somewhat behind.

EU3_18.jpg
All we find, are some freshly built cavalry regiments, easily routed. Our first victory!

EU3_20.jpg
The recon cavalry is sent to kill more fresh Castillian recruits, while the infantry army prepares for a spread-out siege. Our own new cavalry regiments assemble in Aragon.

EU3_22.jpg
Ridiculously bad screenshot, I know. Our general has a fair Shock value of two, which at this point makes things far easier, especially against poor, leaderless Iberian recruits.

Our infantry spreads out thin, while our recon cavalry keeps tabs on the Castillian army taking a short-cut through Portugal.

EU3_23.jpg
...and then goes for the intercept. The infantry spreads out in single regiments; there is no immediate threat to them now - better to cover much ground fast.

EU3_24.jpg
Intercept successful.

EU3_25.jpg
Our recon cavalry finds the main Castillian army. 15k mixed forces, a bit much for us at this point. Fortunately, they're busy with the remnants of the Granadan forces. We retreat to join our fresh cavalry army stationed in Madrid.

EU3_29.jpg
...unfortunately, our 'allies' are quickly disposed of, and Enrique III leads his forces northward. Noticed this a little too late to retreat safely to Madrid. Toledo will be the battlefield.

EU3_30.jpg
Enrique III might move quickly, but his utter lack of Shock value should be his downfall, despite superior numbers.

EU3_31.jpg
...and so it is. :)

EU3_32.jpg
Even with his high Maneuver value, those infantry regiments slows Enrique III down sufficiently for our 10k cavalry army to reach Madrid first, four days before the enemy. Getting across the river first should make the next battle much easier.

EU3_34.jpg
...like this; an immediate rout of Castillian forces.

EU3_35.jpg
Again, the lack of zoom. :( A mere three regiments are all that is left, and they're all busy in Granada.

EU3_36.jpg
Purely as a defensive measure, we ally our vassals. Vassals are the best possible allies; they cannot drag you into wars you don't want to fight, nor are they likely to refuse to come to your aid. Note, we do not bring Orleanais into this alliance, given France' usual initial mission; annexing Orleanais.

EU3_37.jpg
Cursed nobles, always causing trouble.

EU3_40.jpg
Precisely one year into the game - one of the more crucial dates in the game for somewhat wealthy nations. It is quite likely the only time you'll see this many high-ranked advisors for hire. Mind, remember to pause; the AI would soon steal them all if you let time flow. :)

The occupation of Castillian lands is also progressing nicely.

EU3_42.jpg
In the end, we settle for this court. We keep our Sheriff, add a Master of Mint - and the best Diplomat we can find. Now, we can funnel cash far more easily.

EU3_44.jpg
We've deliberately kept out of southern Iberia, with the hopes that Castille would recover somewhat and finish off our 'ally'. They do try...

EU3_48.jpg
To help things along, we attempt to 'persuade' Enrique III to proceed south.

EU3_49.jpg
With their retreat to Cordoba, Castille might just gather their armies to get rid of the Granadan forces - though it still looks grim.

EU3_50.jpg
With half their country occupied and their army routed - why would they ever think I'd agree to this? :)

FEEDBACK
Haha always great to see a bully crushed, even if it is done by another bully, Go Go Giant Blue blob

With World Conquest goals, the player is usually the bully - but I'm going to be a 'nice' bully and keep my BadBoy score low. ;)

Haven't played EU3 for awhile. I totally forgot how easy it is to destroy whole armies.

On normal difficulty and with lucky nations off, to level the playing field, it is fairly easy to deal with enemy armies - but I was baffled the overrun happened so quickly. Most battles with larger armies tend to end up in a long chase.

Save Granada so that they might steal few provinces.

My idea at this point was to let Castille take the usual two Andalusian provinces from Granada, and then maybe get them back through the defection event. As will be shown eventually, I miscalculated on that.

The game is a good couple of decades ahead of the AAR entries, so there's no saving Granada - but as it turned out, they didn't need any rescue. :)

Part 03 - On A Mission From God

EU3_51.jpg
With Castille all but dealt with, time to observe things closer to home. Burgundy, normally stabbing France ferociously in the back by this point, is keeping busy with being defeated by Dutch minors just slightly aided by the Holy Roman Emperor. We gain a new One Province Minor neighbor, Nevers - this could mean more BadBoy points for us, if Burgundy doesn't recover...

EU3_52.jpg
These distressing and distractive news leads to our first defeat; Enrique III's reassembled armies chase away our wearied infantry.

EU3_53.jpg
With Enrique III turning north, our cavalry stack lays in a pursuit course.

EU3_54.jpg
Fortune favors France yet again, with this nomination. We don't have a pressing need for it at the moment, but we'll get some BadBoy points soon enough.

EU3_55.jpg
Again, our Shock advantage plays itself out. Note the Castillian siege in Gibraltar.

EU3_57.jpg
As soon as Gibraltar fell, Granada chickened out. No matter, more land for us.

EU3_60.jpg
After some chasing around, the last of Castille's forces are routed. Andalusia is ours for the taking. Time to prepare for our current mission - annexing Orleanais.

EU3_63.jpg
While you are supposed to annex them diplomatically - and not suffer a move towards Decentralized for it - that very same bonus gives us an option; 1 BadBoy point for annexing them peacefully, or 6 BadBoy points for annexing a same-religion nation without a core - plus a free move towards Centralization.

Of course, attacking right of the bat would be... ludicrous. -8 stability is a tad too painful.

EU3_64.jpg
In Galicia, the natives grow restless. Since they are Galician culture, they might eventually defect to our cause. However, even with all the conditions fulfilled, the Mean Time To Happen for that event is twenty years - and before that much time can pass, the negative 'Occupied' modifier will rise above the sum of the positive modifiers, leading to less-than-full Garrisons, thus removing that prerequisite for the defection event.

EU3_66.jpg
Time to tie some dynastic links with countries we don't plan to attack anytime soon. This includes pretty much all nations north and east of France. It is always best to seek out the senior monarchs in Europe first - they're more likely to die before your own ruler, which might just make it that more likely you'll end up inheriting, as the senior in a union, or in a succession war. Smaller nations might fear the latter, but we're France.

Queen Jeanne has ruled for nearly five decades, and shouldn't live much longer. An ideal target!

EU3_71.jpg
"Great success!"

EU3_69.jpg
Wisening up, Castille makes an actual offer. We decline.

EU3_70.jpg
The bold nation of Aragon steps in.

EU3_75.jpg
Denied enemies on land, Aragon engages the Castillian fleet - and ultimately loses.

EU3_74.jpg
Reports of rebels near Paris was first met with concern, but then we saw their allegiance. The mauled Burgundian forces will have trouble ousting these French Patriots.

EU3_76.jpg
Our first spy! This must be taken advantage of.

EU3_77.jpg
We have the money, and the odds are favorable.

EU3_78.jpg
Great news for France, bad news for Orleanais. With our new Casus Belli, that's one -2 stab hit less to worry about.

EU3_79.jpg
England starts the work with securing their backyard. Connacht does not resist for long, but rather than annex outright, England vassalizes them.

EU3_80.jpg
Time for our first National Idea. Our Master of Mint won't last forever, and as long as we have a great Sheriff, it would be nice to exploit him to the fullest. National Bank seems a good first choice for larger nations that don't plan to trade excessively early on.

EU3_83.jpg
Those French Patriot rebels in Burgundy are still unchallenged. This is good news - for France. :)

EU3_82.jpg
Time to deal with Orleanais. Breaking a vassalage is remarkably tricky for France, as you need positive Prestige. France starts with so many uncontested claims that it's difficult to maintain a steady positive Prestige.

EU3_84.jpg
Despite breaking the vassalage, relations with Orleanais are still at +145, which leads to more of a stab hit on a Declaration of War. An Insult should alleviate this issue.

EU3_88.jpg
Barring an excommunication, this is as good as it'll get. A single drop in stability is manageable, as is the one point of war exhaustion we'll gain from this Declaration of War.

EU3_87.jpg
Meanwhile, Lorraine shows remarkable fortitude. The single regiment guarding Bourgogne is not much of a deterrent.

EU3_90.jpg
Even Brabant is moved into action.

EU3_89.jpg
Orleanais' forces are summarily dealt with.

EU3_93.jpg
As is the country itself. Glory to France! And better yet, the French Patriots have moved on to free Calais. :)

EU3_94.jpg
Our reward for completing the mission. Certainly, doing this rather than a peaceful diplomatic annexation gives us more BadBoy points, but it also results in a free move towards Centralization. Since it might take a while for us to get BadBoy points from our Castillian conflict, this works out just fine.

EU3_95.jpg
Our next mission. Provence is trickier, since they have two provinces. That would mean two wars and even more BadBoy points, unless we prove diplomatic this time.

I would prefer diploannex in this case, as it would mean less trouble and no disadvantages really. You won't have to soak up 6 BB points, points you need to conserve for castille.

FEEDBACK

To all: I'm indecisive - would you prefer I play at the very edge of these AARs, so that your councel might be taken better into account, or continue as I do, in keeping a buffer between the AARs and the game itself to ensure a steady stream of updates? I've already played through some twenty years past this point (which constitutes up to Part 11 of this AAR). At the moment I'm favoring the latter, since I'm a little headstrong on decision-making anyway... ;)

What about a lot of spies to Anjou to have revolt there, seceding the province to you?

Short of not having a lot of spies to use for such endeavours at this point, that would certainly have been a way to go. However, as things turned out, no spies were necessary. :)

I would prefer diploannex in this case, as it would mean less trouble and no disadvantages really. You won't have to soak up 6 BB points, points you need to conserve for castille.

Yes, those were my sentiments too, despite losing the advantage of a free Centralization move - but events took an unexpected turn. :)

Part 04 - The Fate of Burgundy

EU3_97.jpg
After suffering losses at sea, Aragon chickens out.

EU3_98.jpg
Our Rebel friends are in trouble. Not only has Burgundy freed Cambray, but they're working on Picardie - and the English are repelling them from Calais.

EU3_99.jpg
Flemish rebels proved too tough for Brabant. With their assault on Vlaandern rebuffed, Brabant hoists the white flag.

EU3_100.jpg
Lorraine, however, pushes for victory.

EU3_101.jpg
Our Master of Mint comes through for us - rather early, given the Mean Time To Happen for this event. France has the advantage of being fairly Innovative early on - but this also makes these trigger a little sooner than I'd want them. As France is at +3 stability, we go for Prestige this time.

EU3_103.jpg
A few months later, and our Sheriff excels also. With a nice +10% tax increase from our sheriff, and the ability to mint thirty percent of our budget without causing inflation, the French treasury overflows.

EU3_102.jpg
The French fleet, such as it is, engages the Castillian navy at very bad odds. As soon as possible, the fleet retreats to occupied Andalucia. This battle was deliberate - in my experience, even occupied provinces do not count as 'active warfare', and merely holding on to the lands without any battle could result in a most untimely White Peace. This skirmish should push the clock back three years.

EU3_104.jpg
Burgundy has seen better days. French, Flemish and Wallonian Patriots have decimated their country. The brave French Patriots once again assault Calais.

EU3_105.jpg
With the conquest of Orleanais, we have to work to shed BadBoy points. Milan steals the papacy, but not for long. A few ducats to Cardinal della Scalla in Siena sets things straight.

EU3_106.jpg
The situation in Iberia deteriorates. Rebel forces are becoming a handful.

EU3_107.jpg
Luckily, we can export some of them to Aragon.

EU3_108.jpg
After more than seven years of war, Castille has their first of many bankruptcies, courtesy of their large and costly fleet and absolutely no provinces to earn them money. It will be more than two decades before Castille again has any land forces, and those will be former rebels. Perhaps there should be a clause for the AI that removes a portion of their fleet at any bankruptcy, to prevent an endless cascade of them. What good is a wooden wall when it collapses on top of you?

EU3_110.jpg
Time to invest the treasury. We build temples wherever we do not already have them. We do plan to do quite a bit of fighting, and random events will undoubtedly push us down from +3 stability many times.

EU3_111.jpg
The French Patriots in Burgundy has proven their worth, liberating Picardie for the French crown. They've also secured Calais, but for how long?

EU3_112.jpg
England is on the move again. Despite their mission of reclaiming Normandy, they seem content in leaving us alone for now.

EU3_113.jpg
...unfortunately, Leinster has allies - such as Brittany... and Burgundy. Englishmen are becoming a frequent sight in continental Europe. This can not long be tolerated.

EU3_114.jpg
The Basque people of Vizcaya defects, at last. Our protracted conflict with Castille pays off. :)

EU3_115.jpg
The English have secured Antwerpen. This is an ill omen.

EU3_117.jpg
As if that was not bad enough, they dare fight France in the Curia also. Cardinal Benbow of Cumbria resists French coin, but Cardinal Wolfe of Northumberland proves a more reasonable man.

EU3_118.jpg
Burgundy suffers a devastating blow - and this is none too good news for France, neither.

EU3_119.jpg
Shortly thereafter, Burgundy collapses entirely, leaving them with just their capitol. Hainaut gains Artois, whilst Cambray returns to France. With the English liberating Calais, the French Patriot rebels marches on... Paris?!

EU3_120.jpg
Concern turns to relief as they march past, at last settling in Anjou. Provence without military access, you say? What a shame.

EU3_121.jpg
While I do not expect to fight in North Africa for some time, better exploit this option versus my nearest heathen before Hungary steals the Curia and curses the Turk.

EU3_122.jpg
Rebels in Iberia are slowly getting out of hand. The treacherous Basques see fit to challenge the French mastery also.

EU3_123.jpg
In response, we increase our cavalry forces.

EU3_124.jpg
Having secured Anjou, the French Patriots move to the Breton capitol. While initially successful, their numbers are dwindling fast. Moreover, Vendee is a capitol, and cannot defect so easily.

EU3_125.jpg
As Jean IV returns, the Patriot forces are wiped out. For their services to the French crown, we thank them. They will be missed.

EU3_126.jpg
Galicia opts to swap sides, for which we are grateful.

EU3_127.jpg
...and for even more good news, Galicia immediately engages Castille in a brawl over maps, claiming Leon rightly belongs to Galicia - and thus to France. :)