• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can I see the weather on the other side of earth without having an alliance?
e.g. As Soviet can I see the weather in USA?
Or can I just see yesterday's weather there according to public weather report?
Or this is related to spy section?

Why am I not suprised that the example of weather chosen is rain in Scotland:(

As Mr Connolly pointed out, we have two seasons here - mud and July.:rofl:

I always thought that there was a third season - midges.

Will there be a chance for mutiny if Captain Queeg is in command of an MS whenever in a South Pacific zone during a typhoon?
-1% org?

are they gonna be like to options like historical weather and not, was mainly thinking of the soviet ice cold winter? :)

Can I see the weather on the other side of earth without having an alliance?
e.g. As Soviet can I see the weather in USA?
Or can I just see yesterday's weather there according to public weather report?
Or this is related to spy section?

Yes, I don't think that there will be any "fog of war" for the weather.
Nope, I don't see how this feature can be implemented. Plus that it will slow that the game too (the keeping of old information).

Personally I think they should have found the correct weather for different areas in 1936-1948, it should be possible to dig up.

Politics, war etc. might all have gone differently, but weather is not something that humans have influence on. If it was raining in Leningrad on march 4th, 1943, then it should do so in the game - always.

Personally I think they should have found the correct weather for different areas in 1936-1948, it should be possible to dig up.

Politics, war etc. might all have gone differently, but weather is not something that humans have influence on. If it was raining in Leningrad on march 4th, 1943, then it should do so in the game - always.

You know, that this is just as easy as allowing the player to start on any given date between 1936-1948?

Derek Pullem

Why am I not suprised that the example of weather chosen is rain in Scotland

Well we have had blinding sunshine for two weeks! But that's our summer over i fear :(

Great to see weather has been overhauled. Looks great!

Btw Derek I notice your from Aberdeen. So am I! Small world eh? ;)

I am not so sure - I know here in Denmark we have accurate records of the weather for over 100 years or so. A lot of the world probably has this on a bigger or smaller scale.

Yes, but there are and records (not so accurate but can be found) of the units' locations through the war.
But it's simply such a giant task.

So we went off and spent a couple of days becomes experts in Meteorology (feel the power of the Wikipedia!) and began to build up our weather model. The Weather in a province is constructed from three basic building blocks, pressure temperature and humidity.

In a nutshell, this outlier is an example of why Paradox Interactive makes the best strategy games to ever grace a computer.

It could be done on a smaller scale.

I just think it would be unrealistic if we did not have a hard winter on the Russian front in 1942-43 etc.

Arguably, it's unrealistic if Germany doesn't invade Poland.

You know as well as everyone else here that the opportunities presented by a little randomness means a lot more replayability.

And besides, I certainly don't want the weather to always be the same. The game would be a little less fun for me if I knew precisely when the Russian Front would get bogged down.

Arguably, it's unrealistic if Germany doesn't invade Poland.

Not in the same way.

As soon as the game starts history changes with every discision you or the AI takes - the weather would always have been the same no matter what humans decided.

And besides, I certainly don't want the weather to always be the same. The game would be a little less fun for me if I knew precisely when the Russian Front would get bogged down.

That would depend on more things than the weather :)

One way of implementing weather is to let it change the value of infrastructure in each province depending on weather. An example: If a swamp province get frozen, then infrastructure value will rise, and if supply chain is dependent on infrastructure it will affect supply as well

Not in the same way.
the weather would always have been the same no matter what humans decided.

No. It is actually impossible to predict weather further than two weeks in advance because you'd have to account for every atom on earth. Weather is a fluid dynamic thing. It would actually be more unrealistic if the weather was static.

To show the shocking outcomes that our new weather system produces, here are some screenshots of rain coming to Scotland.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Am I missing something? - you had to program rain for Scotland! - It always rains in Scotland - it is only a question of how heavy it will be!:)

There are over 20 seperate paramaters you can play around with for weather. All stored in a plain text file.
Nifty. Good to see the weather getting some attention and that it is so moddable. Thanks King!