• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well I was never keen on the weather in HOI2 simply because of the information overload. Its more realistic - great - but as a player I'm expected to keep track of ALL of these things.

I know the weather was important, but ideally I would like to be able to set weather parameters into mission statements. e.g. don't fly in bad weather or halt if in mud. Don't fight in the snow etc

Also, if you want to make weather realisitic, it ought affect local intelligence gathering. Also, IIRC the Japanese used a bad weather front to hide their approach to Pearl Harbour. Or was that Midway ...

Anyway, I would just like to repeat, that if I'm expected to seriously take weather into account, I ought to be able to see a scaled down version of the weather systems alongside my main view of the theatre, or have the weather systems overlayed somehow. The HOI2 views (and the same for EUII&III) often filtered out things I wanted to see together. Personally, I would like to be able to switch on and off items for the map. e.g. units on/off, politics on/off, weather on/off and so on.

Do we get tornadoes or tsunamis? :D
Monsoons?
Ground fires caused by too warm weather or thunder?

I have to say, this makes Hearts of Iron III the greatest and deepest strategy game made so far.... :eek:o

This is the first time I reply to a dev diary, although I read them all. Mostly I think other people have already said all I wanted to say as well.

But this one! I love meteorology, and I never, never ever would have thought you guys would go so far as to actually simulate weather patterns!

I love it! If I hadn't already decided I would buy this, I would certainly do so now!

Great work guys! Thank you very much! This is just brilliant!

Well I was never keen on the weather in HOI2 simply because of the information overload. Its more realistic - great - but as a player I'm expected to keep track of ALL of these things.

I know the weather was important, but ideally I would like to be able to set weather parameters into mission statements. e.g. don't fly in bad weather or halt if in mud. Don't fight in the snow etc

Also, if you want to make weather realisitic, it ought affect local intelligence gathering. Also, IIRC the Japanese used a bad weather front to hide their approach to Pearl Harbour. Or was that Midway ...

Anyway, I would just like to repeat, that if I'm expected to seriously take weather into account, I ought to be able to see a scaled down version of the weather systems alongside my main view of the theatre, or have the weather systems overlayed somehow. The HOI2 views (and the same for EUII&III) often filtered out things I wanted to see together. Personally, I would like to be able to switch on and off items for the map. e.g. units on/off, politics on/off, weather on/off and so on.

There is no great need to check the weather except at the beginning of major operations. It's not like you're going to stop your offensive because it rains.

Modding the weather really does seem like playing God. Even more so than moving army groups around.

I wonder if there are events like in HoI2 to adjust weather on the fly (by frying a province or something). Imagine the possibilities for a secret weapon there :D Nazi killer weather satellites! I suspect that they would be operated from the Nazi moonbase...

Must admit I never really considered the weather into by strategy in HoI2. Mostly because I stuck to the political map mode to be able to get a clear view of the borders. Still better is always better =)

Political mode also obscures terrain. It's really just an eye candy mode, there's practically no reason to look at it except maybe once a month.

I am profoundly impressed. This is yet another DD where you seem to go further than I had imagined to be possible. Really awesome work.

The only thing I am missing here is a automated forecast system, with prediction errors of course. I would imagine that creating such system wouldn't be that difficult, just compute the weather a couple of days forward, add some random white noise and voilá: a weather forecast. But then again, I don't understand anything about making computer games and such. I assure you I will be very happy with what we've got here.

Question though...

Will mud terrain effects (say, like in the Eastern Front) occur naturally after a protracted amount or rain - at any time of the year?

Or will mud simply have a chance to appear in appropriate territories based on standard seasons of the year regardless of this new randomized weather system?

Mud on the Eastern Front should be a consequence of the thaw, not of rain. I sort of wonder if anything similar occurs on a large scale in Asia, though?

I am profoundly impressed. This is yet another DD where you seem to go further than I had imagined to be possible. Really awesome work.

The only thing I am missing here is a automated forecast system, with prediction errors of course. I would imagine that creating such system wouldn't be that difficult, just compute the weather a couple of days forward, add some random white noise and voilá: a weather forecast. But then again, I don't understand anything about making computer games and such. I assure you I will be very happy with what we've got here.

I think the information you can derive from looking at the weather map is a thousand times more accurate than anything a 1940's forecast could possibly provide.

Political mode also obscures terrain. It's really just an eye candy mode, there's practically no reason to look at it except maybe once a month.

I don't look much at terrain map mode either...I just click at the provinces to see the terrain.

I have to use the politcal map mode otherwise I just can't get a clear understanding of what is going on. I wish there was a way of combining them, but I understand that's difficult.

I think the information you can derive from looking at the weather map is a thousand times more accurate than anything a 1940's forecast could possibly provide.

That's true, but I personally lack the knowledge of an educated meteorologist who could read that information and tell me where the coulds are going...

That's true, but I personally lack the knowledge of an educated meteorologist who could read that information and tell me where the coulds are going...

Due to rotation of the Earth, everything you see to the west of you will eventually make it to the east.* That's 1940's weather forecasting for you.

*DISCLAIMER: Obviously, the actual model is slightly more complicated than that, but this is the important point.

Great diary! Now if the monsoon season was implemented, it would be a game which could even be played as Tibet without trying to build a military... Just looking at the weather and praying to the gods... :D

I don't look much at terrain map mode either...I just click at the provinces to see the terrain.

I have to use the politcal map mode otherwise I just can't get a clear understanding of what is going on. I wish there was a way of combining them, but I understand that's difficult.

WiF mod for HoI2 uses a map which shows terrain as symbols on the map, nice looking ones too! That way you can stay in political mapmode and still see all the beaches / forests / swamps / mountains... ;)