+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #31 - 3rd of June 2009

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

Development Diary #31 - 3rd of June 2009

With Johan away to E3 we didn’t want to leave you all with a total information blackout so I have been drafted to fill the breach on the dev diary front. For those of you who have no idea who I am, I am Chris King and I am one of the designers of Hearts of Iron 3.

Let’s move swiftly along to the subject of today’s dev diary, the weather system. If you look at weather forecasting organisations, they use huge super computers to try and predict the weather and have been known to be slightly wrong on occasion. A highly detailed exact weather model was going to be beyond us, but that didn’t mean we couldn’t improve on our current province based, roll a dice model.

So we went off and spent a couple of days becomes experts in Meteorology (feel the power of the Wikipedia!) and began to build up our weather model. The Weather in a province is constructed from three basic building blocks, pressure temperature and humidity. Pressure and Temperature are province based properties. We actually have a mean temperature map, this is then modified by time of year to give a desired temperature for the province, it further fluctuates around this based on local factors. Pressure works in a similar way, but we will come back to it later. Humidity rises over things like water (especially during high temperatures) and then falls when it rains.

So far pretty basic stuff. However this allows us to create two further parts to our weather system, the overhead and ground conditions. As humidity rises and/or temperature falls the overhead conditions will change from clear to overcast and then to rain. If it is cold then you get snow. If the winds are high and it is raining you get a storm and if it is snowing a blizzard. While on the ground if it is cold then you get Frozen Conditions. If it is raining enough or if the ground has ceased to be frozen you have a chance of Mud (modified by local infrastructure).

So far so good, but we could of done all of this with a simple province based system and odds. However this is where air pressure and a bit of research comes in useful. If you take Western Europe as an example, low pressure appears around Iceland and moves east. There is a permanent area of high pressure centred around the Azores which pushes the low pressure systems along their familiar track. Hearts of Iron 3 is very similar in this regard. The area around the Azores is defined as high pressure which radiates out, while Iceland will generate low pressure that tracks into Europe and is repelled by areas of high pressure. Low pressure systems pickup their local weather and move it in weather fronts. What you end up with is bands of weather moving around the globe bringing things like rain and snow.

Now as I said at the top of this dairy a precise weather system is going to be beyond us, but it doesn’t mean we can’t create a system with a nice touch of reality. In our case you will be able to see the weather fronts moving and this feeds into to your strategy. You are thinking about invading France as Germany, but when? Well it is raining over Germany at the moment, but you can see that the weather coming out of the west is clear. The answer is soon.

To show the shocking outcomes that our new weather system produces, here are some screenshots of rain coming to Scotland.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	weather1.JPG‎
Views:	22463
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	16013   Click image for larger version

Name:	weather2.JPG‎
Views:	21104
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	16014   Click image for larger version

Name:	weather3.JPG‎
Views:	20410
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	16015  
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Nice to see the weather system working!
    The HRE Revised Mod is a Holy Roman Empire and CKII balance mod aimed to stop want to be despot emperors in their tracks

Try the 3.4 version of the Age of Colonialism mod for Victoria II v1.4 beta 26 sept 2011

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed!
    This mark entitles the bearer to have beer bought by Lurken
    Lurken says:
    and she texts "It is difficult when you are so kind - it gets hard to avoid..." am I the only one reading it as she texts that it is hard to avoid dumping him and make a new move on me?
    Zach says:
    I read it as her trying to say "Oh, take me and ravage me as if I were the Russian hordes trying to reclaim the Baltic States, you charismatic Swede, you"
    The Radiant Light of The Rising Sun, Bringer of Clarity, Herald of Dawn

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi

Who thought weather could be so fascinating. Nice one King, thanks for another good diary. A question though, will we be able to see a forecast of the next days weather (an estimate from the AI, just like the weather guys on TV) or will we have to use our own keen senses to spot weather patterns?

Looking forward to release more and more.

Wow, amazing! Will there be event-like weather for.. lets say Barbarossa or is it left for chance?

So nice!! The game gets closer and closer to what reality is like with every dev diary (lets hope it does not get to close though ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Koeppen View Post
    Who thought weather could be so fascinating. Nice one King, thanks for another good diary. A question though, will we be able to see a forecast of the next days weather (an estimate from the AI, just like the weather guys on TV) or will we have to use our own keen senses to spot weather patterns?

Looking forward to release more and more.
    No it is up to your keen senses at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Conana View Post
    Wow, amazing! Will there be event-like weather for.. lets say Barbarossa or is it left for chance?
    It's all up to chance, it makes sure each game is different. One game the weather might be fine and clear allowing you chance to move early. Another year you might be delayed even longer. No game is the same.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

How big will the impact of the weather be on for example ground units, but also naval and air warfare? Will it be impossible to conduct air missions in heavy storm, blizzard etc?
    The HRE Revised Mod is a Holy Roman Empire and CKII balance mod aimed to stop want to be despot emperors in their tracks

Try the 3.4 version of the Age of Colonialism mod for Victoria II v1.4 beta 26 sept 2011

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsHoi 2 Beta500k club

Drool. And DEAR GOD, LOOK AT THE DETAIL. You've even got the A69 corridor on there. Oh for a closeup so I can see what you've done to Northumberland

The Shadow of Man 406 - 1095 - Rules

Contribute to 'Concert of Europe', an 1815 mod for Victoria 2

Den ökända hästen från Troja Zuckergußgebäck's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    No it is up to your keen senses at the moment.
    Would it simply be possible to have arrows on the clouds and such (like on the sprited and counters) so that we have some idea of which way the weather is moving?

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Incredible!

I saw some of this (a "cold front") on one of the IGN screenies but thought it was made up. I am impressed how a little research and a good and easy model can come handy!

Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Sounds like an awsome feature, especially when you aren't expecting something like this.

How detailed is the weather system outside Europe? Do we get monsoon seasons in SE Asia for example?

Weather was, IIRC, a pretty important consideration for Japan when it decided to invade Malaysa and NEI in december.

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuckergußgebäck View Post
    Would it simply be possible to have arrows on the clouds and such (like on the sprited and counters) so that we have some idea of which way the weather is moving?

Please don't! The weather (especially in this time period) must be unpredictable to a certain degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Väinö I View Post
    Sounds like an awsome feature, especially when you aren't expecting something like this.

How detailed is the weather system outside Europe? Do we get monsoon seasons in SE Asia for example?

Weather was, IIRC, a pretty important consideration for Japan when it decided to invade Malaysa and NEI in december.

We have low and high pressure system scattered all over the globe and we are constantly tweaking them to give better and better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuckergußgebäck View Post
    no plans for that at the moment

How moddable are parameters of the weather system?

Can I create my own version of climate, say, with extreme conditions like super high wind speeds, common tornados and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post

Can I create my own version of climate, say, with extreme conditions like super high wind speeds, common tornados and such?
    Planning to create some sort of Doomsday Device?

Very cool update. Unexpected addition, but looks to be interesting and useful.

Strategy Cognoscenti Demi Moderator Myth's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper Fi

Sounds quite good!
    Read about my full body of AAR works here!

Fan of the Week 13/08/09

Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post

There are over 20 seperate paramaters you can play around with for weather. All stored in a plain text file.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast