• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Two questions - first, are there just 4 air doctrines? Granted, most doctrines in HOI2 were basically the same thing, but there were a few more choices if I'm not mistaken.

Also, just wondering why those strategic bombers don't have a port strike mission?

Two questions - first, are there just 4 air doctrines? Granted, most doctrines in HOI2 were basically the same thing, but there were a few more choices if I'm not mistaken.

Also, just wondering why those strategic bombers don't have a port strike mission?

There are at least 4 air doctrines in the game.

So is it possible to create hqs that only control air force, making it possible to have the ai control my airforce while i take care of my army?

Edit: Well, to slow... thanks for the answers Johan!

Really liking the flexibility in HOI3. A lot of scope for the player.

So is it possible to create hqs that only control air force, making it possible to have the ai control my airforce while i take care of my army?

Yes and No. It is possible to create a corps HQ add air units to it and remove the land units and then automate it. However it won't be able to coordinate with you land units that well because it is not part of the command structure.

So attaching 3 Transport Aircraft to a Corps otherwise stocked with Airborne divisions will make you see more Air Assault missions being carried out?

What about collateral damage?
Will Ground attack also do some small damage to org and Interdiction some small damage to strenght?
Will Strategic bombing do some small damage to AAA or Infrastructure since these were interconnected with Factories?

Id also say that I really preffer more unified missions. One of the worst micromanagement hells in HoI2 for air units was ordering them to interdiction one day and ground attack the next when the battle was won. Just to switch back 3 days later when the battle for the next province begins.

Why not have a single mission that aims for Strenght (Ground attack attrition) when the enemy unit is not in combat but aims for Org (Interdiction) when they are in combat to help you win?

The second is front line and reserve focus. Here this influences which types of enemy units air power will bomb in when doing ground attack missions for enemy stacks in combat. You can aim for the front line units to try and force a break through or concentrate more on reserve units in a quest for generalised attrition against the enemy.

[...]

Now these examples are for large formations, but air power can even be assigned down to corps level. So if you think that a corps or an Army needs some special help for whatever reason you can detach the air power from the high level command and assign down for the exclusive use of this formation. When the help is no longer required simply detach again and reassign up the chain the command.

And if have 2 bombardment corps attached to an corps (under human control), which is attacking, can i give the 2 sorts of orders ?
So 1st air corps will attacks reserves and the 2nd air corps will attacks the ennemies front units ?

The other big change is unsurprisingly AI control. Air units have no individual command structure; instead a stack of air units is always classed as a brigade. Thus any HQ in the chain of command can have air support attached to them. When on manual control this doesn’t actually mean anything as you order around the air units yourself. However when on AI control this can allow you to better control your air assets. Let’s say you have three army groups on a front but all your offensive objectives are in front of only one of those army groups. You can assign air units for the sole use of this army group instead of the whole theatre, focussing air power over the area you wish to attack instead of it being spread over the whole theatre.

Now if we reconsider our example and say you wanted to control the offensive army group yourself, you can assign air power to the army groups you want to hand over to the AI and allow them to use themselves without you having to manage both your offensive and air power over the whole theatre.

Now these examples are for large formations, but air power can even be assigned down to corps level. So if you think that a corps or an Army needs some special help for whatever reason you can detach the air power from the high level command and assign down for the exclusive use of this formation. When the help is no longer required simply detach again and reassign up the chain the command.

This answers some questions I had quite well!
I assume that the air unit will rebase following the army it is attached to on an offensive.

There are at least 4 air doctrines in the game.

Emphasis added.

Still, what about port strike? Did it get folded into another mission type? I'm sure it couldn't have been dropped altogether :eek:

Also, what about stacking limits? Same as in HoI2?

And if have 2 bombardment corps attached to an corps (under human control), which is attacking, can i give the 2 sorts of orders ?
So 1st air corps will attacks reserves and the 2nd air corps will attacks the ennemies front units ?

No this is a doctrine. You research it, you don't pick for each mission. However air units will do both, you only influence the chance of it picking frontline or reserves. Note if an army has not reserves it will bomb the front line.

Air units have no individual command structure; instead a stack of air units is always classed as a brigade. Thus any HQ in the chain of command can have air support attached to them.

Does that mean there will be no air commanders like von Richthofen? :(

He said that they would act as brigades. Independent brigades don't get any benefit of being in a corps\army\whatever ;)

And I love this update :)
I'll probably have air units in AI control, at least when I have lots of lots of CAS, because in Barbossa, I tend to forget to send my CAS\Tac forward to bomb the next area :p