• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Has Johan or King not given a 'That column idea is impossible becuase of the game engine' yet? :p :)

I pless whatever number I am to the idea nonetheless :)

Yup.
It is strange that they even stopped comment at all after the vote started......

Yup.
It is strange that they even stopped comment at all after the vote started......
Yeah.. unusual that. King especially usually comments for a couple of hours after the diary has been posted.
Perhaps they're busy implementing the idea?

Hey, one can hope:p
Hoop doet de zotten in vreugde leven
(hope lets the fools live in joy)

The only thing that bugs be a bit is the ''plastic'' interface and menus. Of course, the color and visual issues normaly are the last things to tweak, but I just hope that most of the sides, flags, corners etc. will be darkened or even blurred a little to give the old wartime / worn - out looks for the interface.

-edit-

By meaning the plastic and over - coloured looks I mean the diplomacy screen screenshot in this DD, for example.

While I love and support the alternative column idea to display forces more clearly, I suspect that unfortunately at this point we are far, far beyond feature-locked. Which means that Johan didn't comment because he "cannot" change it at this point - but undoubtedly since its a simple, easy idea, it's probably been jotted down as a possible expansion feature.

I'd rather have PI delay the release than stop listening.
Turning the DD into 'what you'll get no matter if you like it'-Wednesday is bad.

Turning the DD into 'what you'll get no matter if you like it'-Wednesday is bad.

It's true, but if on every DD we want a new idea to be implemented, then I'll have to wait and play HOI 3 with my son (but I'm only 20 years old).

Nevertheless, I think that the idea is simple and because of the overwhelming support of it, it should be tried.

*Gasp! Sacriledge!!! No delays; at all - EVER!!! Must have Hearts of Iron 3 NOW !!!

But seriously, they have had lots of time to collect ideas and input, and they are almost done with beta testing and tweaking, so the time has come to wrap it up and hand it over to the marketting department.

Johan & Co. are very old hands in this business now, I trust them completely.

... so, is the demo almost ready? ... how 'bout now?

............................ now?

Er, well, its pretty much what it is. No respectable software developer takes feature-locks lightly. You have to realize your game is broken to go back on that. Otherwise, you're gonna feature creep, delay, run out of budget, etc. The concept exists to get a product shipped in a timely manner.

This being said, if you were developing software, or rather marketing it, you'd have two choices. Show the material early; alot of stuff isn't really presentable, some of what you show will get cut and people will whine, but you can work in player feedback. Or show the material once its final and locked; you wont get to work in player input, but its really the best option from every other point of view. Rely on tester input, and show the dev diaries just to generate buzz and increase sales. Its what Id do.

So basically, these dev diaries... gotta see them more along the line of previews and advertisements. They're not there to give us a say in the design process, we're about a year late for that, really.

I agree 2 columns look neater - but perhaps we are all still thinking in HoI2 terms for the number of units which might need to appear in a single box? Maybe with frontage and all those provinces and the new logistics - they will be very rare??

Very very nice,all the sorts of features you could really want.

Yup.
I too think the "alternative" layout of Gixian looks better than the original, but I'd say the collective egos are running amok if any one thinks there's actually a vote... :rolleyes:

PI listens to the community and if they like a suggestion and it's feasible they'll probably implement it - but it's not a democracy.

Has Johan or King not given a 'That column idea is impossible becuase of the game engine' yet? :p :)

They haven't said it, but it would seem very likely to be the case. Johan's screenshot shows a classic Paradox pop-up, which is basically just paragraphs of text. They'd have to add table-management to the message display system to get the info looking like Gixian's mockup. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's a trivial change.

While I love and support the alternative column idea to display forces more clearly, I suspect that unfortunately at this point we are far, far beyond feature-locked. Which means that Johan didn't comment because he "cannot" change it at this point - but undoubtedly since its a simple, easy idea, it's probably been jotted down as a possible expansion feature.

It is not a feature, it is a GUI element. The information is already displayed. How it is arranged shouldn't be that big a deal to change. Generally when people speak of a feature lock, they are talking about game systems or major game elements that have impact on other areas of the game as well. This is merely a display issue. They may not indeed have the time to do it since they may be busy with other tasks atm. However, it is certainly something they could do post-release in a patch.

With all this commotion over the GUI, no one noticed the OOBs.

Note that OKW exists as a Theater command, but so do its subordinate commands (OB West and something I can't quite make out - what does WB stand for?). I wonder if Johan/King could comment as to what exactly falls under OKW in the scenario shown (although I see that it has been played for some time, hence the 1st, 2nd Theatres in the OOB tree).

EDIT: Note that OKH is in there too, so what's left under OKW must be Norway and Germany itself?