• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
HOI3 is in many ways a total make over of the HOI1 and HOI2 series, can't wait until august, give it to me now "my precious" :wacko:

That last message could be a LOT more organised, why center the message?
Just outline one faction to the left (the attacker) and the other one to the right which would be the defender.

Yes, something like in battle description on wikipedia, a column based view could look more clear...

For illustration, it could look something like this>>
2eygi1t.jpg

Interesting idea, however I do see a few flaws in this, or at least things that need to be worked out.
The major problem here is that it only supports 2 sides (basicly thats okay, since we've got attackers and defenders)
However, how will we deal with multi-sided attacks (in regular HOI scenarions this isn't much of a problem, but in the Armageddon-scenarios it was, since there is a chance of having a 3-sided fight)

So, what wil for excample happen when Territory X (owned by say germany) gets attacked by commitern as well as allies while both commitern and allies are at war with each other... it would be kinda awkward to put them at the same side of the mssg since well... they're not at fighting at the same side, its possible to do it this way, but I'm not sure its the right way to do.

Interesting idea, however I do see a few flaws in this, or at least things that need to be worked out.
The major problem here is that it only supports 2 sides (basicly thats okay, since we've got attackers and defenders)
However, how will we deal with multi-sided attacks (in regular HOI scenarions this isn't much of a problem, but in the Armageddon-scenarios it was, since there is a chance of having a 3-sided fight)

So, what wil for excample happen when Territory X (owned by say germany) gets attacked by commitern as well as allies while both commitern and allies are at war with each other... it would be kinda awkward to put them at the same side of the mssg since well... they're not at fighting at the same side, its possible to do it this way, but I'm not sure its the right way to do.

If I am the defender, I want all of the attackers as attackers. Combined, if possible, regardless of what ideologie they like. As two screens, if not. If I am one of the attackers, why should I have the knowledge of what happens on the other side of the battle? If aircraft bomb these same battle, it would be another combat screen.

However, how will we deal with multi-sided attacks

Good thought, but there are still *only* attackers or defenders. If your allies are involved, their units -- with flags -- show up in defense or on the attack. Even in your example, both the comintern and allies will be the attackers.

If aircraft bomb these same battle, it would be another combat screen.

I can't imagine doing notices for aircraft on ground attack for pragmatic reasons.

If you get the combat event beginning message, you will presumably also want to receive the combat ending event message. As others have said, this ending screen will logically include causality numbers, remaining divisions, etc, from the battle. All this would be very cool -- especially the ending screen. It is a way of tracking your progress/efficiency, one battle at a time! :) (kinda like EU3 IN, actually)

Aircraft doing *air to air* combat -- now that would be cool on a pop-up, just as Naval to Naval battles would be great on a pop-up.

One thing I personally really like in this game, is the details you can get from messages. Here is one example of how the messages looks when you are being attacked by hostile forces.
beta_may20_9.jpg

There is plenty more of nice things in the interface for this game, but this is enough for today.
Well, since today update seems to be about interface, i'd like to suggest colouring the most relevant numbers - units, brigades and numbers. I think it makes it even more accesible and would be especially useful for non-pause games (mp).

(that's especially helpful because pop-ups appear in different parts of the screen, so actually eye-searching for numbers takes a few miliseconds too long :D)

So if a brigade is only 90% strenght it will show as 2700 men? In other words, will we have a casualties account this time (KIA, MIA etc) ?

I made a thread about this herehttp://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402965

Never got an official answer though.

Anyway, thanks for the update Paradox. You guys are busy trying to get ready for E3, but you still make time to create a development diary. A huge round of applause for that. :D

Guess you havent played the EU series.

I guess EU plays in a time were anyone who lost someone isn't alive anymore.

Anyone who can think a little bit knows what I mean: PI doesn't want a sumup. 50 million in reality is hard enough. Who wants to have a thread where people post how many millions they were "better" than the original?

I guess that would make a great advertisement. If that sort of customers would be attracted which I think that would, then I wouldn't tell in public that I play that game "X". (And eventuelly I wouldn't play it anymore.) So I am really ok with how it is now.

Last edited:
Who wants to have a thread where people post how many millions they were "better" than the original?

I would.

As someone once said, "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

I personally lost family in the second world war. On both sides, even. Regardless of that, seeing "127,000 casualties were sustained in this operation" doesn't make me or anyone else break down into tears.

If it actually said my great uncle's name I'd be a little disturbed, but I highly doubt that'll ever be a feature.

Please, stop being an overly sensitive "PC" zealot. (Thats politically correct, not personal computer.)

I guess EU plays in a time were anyone who lost someone isn't alive anymore.

Anyone who can think a little bit knows what I mean: PI doesn't want a sumup. 50 million in reality is hard enough. Who wants to have a thread where people post how many millions they were "better" than the original?

I guess that would make a great advertisement. If that sort of customers would be attracted which I think that would, then I wouldn't tell in public that I play that game "X". (And eventuelly I wouldn't play it anymore.) So I am really ok with how it is now.

So somehow, the people who died in the wars during the EU timeline carry less importance than the people who died more recently? That's pretty ignorant.

War is war. It's not pretty. Wartime casualties were a major factor on the battlefield, and I feel they should be modeled as such. How is a simple message saying "Your forces lost XX amount of troops" worse than, say, Call of Duty where the object is to kill as many of the enemy as possible? Would you not tell the public that you play this game either?

I love this. Finally a dev team that takes the concept of USER FRIENDLINESS seriously and actually does something worthwhile (and more than just a token gesture) about it. I love it. It looks like learning HOI3 won't be like learning a new job -- and about as much fun. A complex game that's relatively easy to manage -- now there's a novel idea. Keep up the great work. It's looking super great. Of course, it's going to make the summer seem very, very long -- but it will be more than worth the wait.

CB

Sweet thanks Johan. The little details like this make the game all that more interesting and easier to play. :)