• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Don't forget to change the communist flag of Romania.

First of all we have the outliner. The outliner made its first appearance in EU3, and has been an invaluable tool for our games since then. It gives you quick overview of details, and also allows a quick selection mechanism. In Hearts of Iron, it lists all your land, naval and air units, as well as all current bombings and battles. The units in each theatre can be browsed like in a file explorer in windows for easy access.
beta_may20_1.jpg

Combats where we atatck will be shown in green as on the map ?

And what kind of message will be see on the map, other than "x ship deployed" ? :)

Otherwise, it's nice, wonderfull, as nice as Jennifer Anniston :D

Very nice.

But in the outliner tool, could we sort the fleets beginning with formation and not the port they are stationed in? My grand fleets are out all the time doing fun stuff you see...

The movement arrows are nice. I would bring the idea of having a progress bar inside them indicating how far the unit has gotten towards the next province, meaning if it just started moving the arrow would be say bright green, and if it is halfway there then arrow is half bright green and half dark green.

Also, might not the color on the blocks showing combat progress be a little misleading? If you are losing an attack then it's still green and if you are winning a defense then it's red? It would be neat if the color changed at 50% to red if losing and green if winning and then showing if it is a defense or attack by some other means (having a frame with color? different colors for the numbers, maybe they should change color?)

Can't wait for release.

Looks good, but I'd like to point that the last message box can become quite cluttered on large battles.

It's nice to have this level of detail, but it'd be better if the message box also brought a more condensed info. Perhaps a banner on top of the message box or something like that.

Great DD, keep up the good work! :)

amazing amazing amazing!

love the on-map display, the on-map battle progress boxes, the on-map SR, and the added information on the counters! I can see divisional, corps, and army HQ all on the map; nice!

How about making the red ones for defense and green ones for attack fill up like a progress bar depending on how your guys are doing?
(in reply to Kinseek's suggestion)

Looks good, but I'd like to point that the last message box can become quite cluttered on large battles.

It's nice to have this level of detail, but it'd be better if the message box also brought a more condensed info. Perhaps a banner on top of the message box or something like that.

Great DD, keep up the good work! :)

Agreed. A more effective way of organizing that data would make that message more helpful. I see the statement regarding # of brigades and # of men as more helpful than the big paragraph.

Last edited:
Beautiful. :)

Agreed. I more effective way of organizing that data would make that message more helpful. I see the statement regarding # of brigades and # of men as more helpful than the big paragraph.

Or creating a message window where we see the number of brigades and mens, and a button which opens the list of units in battle.

Splendid additions to the game. I must say though, the division listing in the "attack"-report seem a bit messy to me. I would have preferred the individual countrys divisions to be listed one by one on individual lines. Although, that would have been a waste of potential text space and increased scrolling need.

Anywho, great work guys.

Or creating a message window where we see the number of brigades and mens, and a button which opens the list of units in battle.
I don't know, a new button could complicate things even further.

I'm more likely to agree with Fanatical, there should be a better way to arrange that info.

Very good diary. Lots of new stuff revealed. I can't wait any longer. Oh the agony.

Thanks Paradox.

Luka should get the "Best Suggestion Ever" award! Brilliant, just brilliant.
He should, it's an excellent idea.
The "our forces are under attack" window looks cluttere though with all the icons and flags.
Might look better and be easier to read quickly as two lists on either side of the window. With forces of the same category across from one another with the totals at the top of each collumn. That should make it easy to quicly evaluate the strength of the armies.

Incidentally, will the enemy counters also show a (white?) arrow when retreating. In HOI2 i always found it quite hard to tel which units were in retreat when using counters.

Last edited:
I don't know, a new button could complicate things even further.

I'm more likely to agree with Fanatical, there should be a better way to arrange that info.

Just an option, if the player does not click on the button, the only things which would be shown it's the summary of the battle, so brigades and numbers of mens.