+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #29 - 20th of May 2009

Arsenal of DemocracyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel22 View Post
    I find it strange none of the devs commented on the proposed alternate lay out.
    They are probably working on it or something better
    FDR was the official coke hookup of the Allied leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmChairAttila View Post
    They are probably working on it or something better
    I can't imagine Johan has the time to comment every time a forum member comes up with a better idea than his own.

But i will say: Johan and the others respond extremely much more and quickly then other developers as creative assembly for example.

(Hoi3 does not have realtime battles and still its going to be 100 times better then etw )

Quote Originally Posted by kingterranes View Post
    But i will say: Johan and the others respond extremely much more and quickly then other developers as creative assembly for example.
    Johan and King and the rest of the dev team here are amazing when it comes to interacting with the forums.

To be clear my comment above was a shot at members who think they should get a game customized to their every individual want and need, not in any way a shot at Johan or the rest of the Dev team.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Second on our list, is the indication and details on counters where they may be heading. Small red arrows indicate attacks, while green arrows indicate normal movement.

Sometimes as a developer you do not see the forest for all the trees. One great suggestion by the beta tester Luka, was to show combat progress on the map, where the battles are actually fought. So I went ‘DOH’, why did not I think of that, and told podcat to code it. Here’s how it looks, with red blocks indicating where you are defending, and green blocks indicating where you are attacking. The numbers indicate your progress of either losing or winning the battle.
    Can't these two be incorporated into the same? Showing the numbers adjacent to the arrows? Is there any point in not having them at the same time? I foresee frustration having to switch constantly between "Show all movements"-mode and "Show combat progression"-mode.

At least do something about the colors, please. Red for attack and green for movement in one map mode, green for attack and red for defence in second mode, can be confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter War View Post
    Can't these two be incorporated into the same? Showing the numbers adjacent to the arrows? Is there any point in not having them at the same time? I foresee frustration having to switch constantly between "Show all movements"-mode and "Show combat progression"-mode.

At least do something about the colors, please. Red for attack and green for movement in one map mode, green for attack and red for defence in second mode, can be confusing.
    +1 switching between modes would be terrible.
    ...Can You hear the howling?...

I can suggest if you can implement the possibility to combine two or more map mode visualizations (for example the economic map and the partisans map). Then if in the intelligence map, i think would be nice to intercept also the movement of the enemy divisions and their destination province.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Just amazing, this is really shaping up.

I also second Gixian's proposal of a column battle description
    Last edited by Sebbzor; 23-05-2009 at 13:00.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagicka
    Majesty 2Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I cannot wait for this game.

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

I don't understand the problem. If you have green blocks represent attacks, red blocks represent defense, and green arrows for movement, you're not losing any information

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Seil View Post
    I don't understand the problem. If you have green blocks represent attacks, red blocks represent defense, and green arrows for movement, you're not losing any information
    And will they be shown on map simultanously? Thats the question. I hope yes.

King's reply back on page 1 implies that the arrows display at the same time, or at least thats how I read it.
    Don't fight it son. Confess quickly! If you hold out too long you could jeopardize your credit rating.

need bottun on IC slider is a big

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

This is cool:

This is (so far) not so cool:

I don't want numbers on the map... I think it would look a lot less like some Excel spreadsheet if it would get an easier accessible display, like a row of red or green dots that let you see at a glance (from color hue) how your battle progress is going.

I mean the idea is good, but I hope they implement a nicer looking version of this until the game ships.

Attack starts = yellow, attack goes well = color turns to green, attack goes badly and starts to lose = color turns to red.

Attacks having a triangle symbol and defences having a shield symbol.

How about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan07 View Post
    I don't want numbers on the map... I think it would look a lot less like some Excel spreadsheet if it would get an easier accessible display, like a row of red or green dots that let you see at a glance (from color hue) how your battle progress is going.

I mean the idea is good, but I hope they implement a nicer looking version of this until the game ships.

Attack starts = yellow, attack goes well = color turns to green, attack goes badly and starts to lose = color turns to red.

Attacks having a triangle symbol and defences having a shield symbol.

How about that?
    *thumbs up*

Alright, I brought out my paint skills to visualize what I would like to see. Arrows means attack, that other shield-thing means defence. The color shows how I am doing (green for good, red for bad, yellow for uncertain).

You clearly don't understand. I was not talking about information being lost, I was talking about that battle progression and movement obviously are not displayed at the same time, which I would like them to be.

The color issue was about the fact that in one map mode red represents attack, in another it represents defence.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions

You clearly don't understand. I was not talking about information being lost, I was talking about that battle progression and movement obviously are not displayed at the same time, which I would like them to be.

The color issue was about the fact that in one map mode red represents attack, in another it represents defence.
    You are talking about information being lost, and my point is that it's not...

Damn - thats uggly...
    I would rather like to see Arrows comming out of the battle victory % box.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    Damn - thats uggly...
    Yes.. Just trying to convey an idea.

You are talking about information being lost, and my point is that it's not...
    No, I am not talking about that, and I have already said it once.

No, I am not talking about that, and I have already said it once.
    Pretty much says it right there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast