+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #29 - 20th of May 2009

Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMMeL DvAz View Post
    What about something like railroad tracks to represent strategic momevement, obiously better than my quick try

The problem is, that not every unit will be transported in a train...

but it´s a good idea too!

DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game

Quote Originally Posted by Gixian View Post
    Yes, something like in battle description on wikipedia, a column based view could look more clear...

For illustration, it could look something like this>>

instead of the Johan's>>
    I agree.

Procrastinator extraordinaire Registered's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Yes, something like in battle description on wikipedia, a column based view could look more clear...

Very nice mock-up. I'd still put the totals at the top though. As the game progresses the list of units is going to grow longer and longer possibly making the totals harder to find (especially on the smaller screens).
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity"
    Yeats

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'd still put the totals at the top though. As the game progresses the list of units is going to grow longer and longer possibly making the totals harder to find (especially on the smaller screens).
    Yes, you are right, if there would be a lot of units involved, the list will be very long, probably a scroll bar or something would be needed, and in such situation numbers at the bottom would be a bad idea.

I'm also in total agreement with the column idea. Looks much better.

I hope this system is used in all circumstances where we have lists of anything country-specific with little flags at the side...

Quote Originally Posted by Registered View Post
    Very nice mock-up. I'd still put the totals at the top though. As the game progresses the list of units is going to grow longer and longer possibly making the totals harder to find (especially on the smaller screens).
    Well, you can leave the totals there, you would just make only the unit list scrollable, separate from the totals.

Lt. General
    EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

+1
    (or is it now +19?)

¡Ay, caramba!
    I'm going down to the Great river of Mississippi!!!!!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi

battle progress on map

Johan mentioned battle progress blocks on the map.
    "Here’s how it looks, with red blocks indicating where you are defending, and green blocks indicating where you are attacking."

Just thinking.... Red seems to be the theme for battle and attacking. Why would
    defense blocks be red and attacking blocks green? Shouldnt they be red for
    attacker and green for defender?

Little worried about too much clutter in the battle area. Hopefully we can turn this feature off, if we want.

Great dev! You guys are ROCKING this!
    -The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits.
    -Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ...
    -I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    -An elective despotism was not the government we fought for.

Thomas Jefferson

Very nice update - game is looking very polished.

Sometimes it can be little things like this that make the differences between good games and great games (yes HOI3 is in the later judging by everything so far).

You sir are an entire generation ahead of our time.

Darkest HourEU3 Complete

Quote Originally Posted by Registered View Post
    Seconded!
    >>> DH Mixed Mod http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...7199-Mixed-Mod
    >>> Over than 3000 shields/flags for HoI2 cataloged by country => http://hoiflags.blogspot.com

I would mod that combat 'blocks' into crossed swords, rifles or something along those lines to have better 'war feeling'.

Number or the whole 'block' could be inside rifles.

And I also agree that info should be clearer. Right now its a mess.
    ...Can You hear the howling?...

Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III

instead of the Johan's>>
    This.

Much easier to read, and it makes the visualization of

your units vs their units

very clear as well.

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I also support the column view idea.
    Simple molecules combine to make powerful chemicals.
    Simple cells combine to make powerful life-forms.
    Simple electronics combine to make powerful computers.

Logically, all things are created by a combination of simpler, less capable components. Therefore, a supreme being must be our future, not our origin! What if "God" is the consciousness that will be created when enough of us are connected by the internet??
    -- Dogbert

nice great update!!!!

Hearts of Iron III

instead of the Johan's>>
    Yes!!!
    "We already speak from a different world than yours, for you are talking to dead men. From now on our only existence will be in History books." Friedrich Paulus, Jan. 19, 1943

the column idea is superb, I hope that PI will put it in the game
    Supporter of the historical flavour in HOI3

"History is written by the winners"
    — Napoleon Bonaparte

"Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first."
    ~Charles de Gaulle

Great DD! All those interface changes are really going to improve the gameplay and get rid of a lot of tiresome issues from HoI2 (sliders anyone :P ).

Just one recommendation and it has to do with the supply slider. In HoI2 it was almost impossible to accurately judge the daily consumption of supplies for a nation like UK or Japan. That was because the daily supply needs display, showed what the mainland troops required, plus however much happened to be shipped out at that particular day, instead of averages. Since, supplies tended to be shipped out in large batches, the supply need jumped from very low to very high. This could be fixed by having the slider indicate the average need for supplies for all friendly units, under friendly supply, regardless of their current location.

I also second Gixian's proposal. It really looks much easier on the eyes.

Last edited by Thomas Kenobi; 20-05-2009 at 20:54.
    "If Jean Luc Picard went back in time and then brought Genghis Khan to 1932 and the Enterprise exploded over the United States this is literally exactly what would happen.", FNLN

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. ", HAL
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.", Isaac Asimov

Stuck on the dark continent! Driggsd's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Looks great! I realy can wait!
    "I've often started off with a lawyer joke, a complete caricature of a lawyer who's been nasty, greedy, and unethical. But I've stopped that practice. I gradually realized that the lawyers in the audience didn't think the jokes were funny and the non-lawyers didn't know they were jokes." Chief Justice William Rehnquist

An armed man is a citizen, and unarmed man is a subject.

"He's a Lawyer and a Super Villian! Thats like a shark with a grenade launcher!"

I will not "just give peace a chance". It had its chance, and it failed. Time to cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast