+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #29 - 20th of May 2009

An important note:

Make red attacking and green defending, The two colors reflect the opposite better in my opinion.

To have it less confusing

Epic work once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Registered View Post
    The "our forces are under attack" window looks cluttere though with all the icons and flags.
    Might look better and be easier to read quickly as two lists on either side of the window. With forces of the category across from one another with the totals at the top of each collumn. That should make it easy to quicly evaluate the strength of the armies.
    Agreed!

Procrastinator extraordinaire Registered's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by kingterranes View Post
    An important note:

Make red attacking and green defending, The two colors reflect the opposite better in my opinion.

To have it less confusing
    Nah, it makes sense as it is. Red is the colour of danger after all and the enemy's atacks are more dangerous to you than your own.
    Last edited by Registered; 20-05-2009 at 15:52.
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity"
    Yeats

Great DD, I wish I was in Augustus tu buy the game!
    Supporter of the historical flavour in HOI3

"History is written by the winners"
    — Napoleon Bonaparte

"Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first."
    ~Charles de Gaulle

Good show, cant wait to play it.

HoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi

Nice goodies! Why is it so long to August?
    My spambot broke, now I have to write everything myself.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Workers of the world, igni-* err... unite!

Resident, Fawlty Towers Chaplain's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Really fantastic details for AAR writers. :-)
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Hello, and welcome to the 29th issue of the development diary. This week, I was going talk to you about the little details that make the game so much easier and fun to play.

Snip...

Have you ever cursed the slider interfaces in Hearts of Iron? With the new “need” buttons you can always just click it to get the slider at the position for what is required. Of course, if you lack enough IC for all your needs, you still have to manually adapt your slider.

There is plenty more of nice things in the interface for this game, but this is enough for today.
    Wednesdays are my favorit days of the week now. This little gem here is a god send, thanks Johnan and company. Also the attack/defend progress box is a SUPER idea. Letting us at a glance see the battle status without having to dril down to each battle is amazing.
    "When a man says he approves of something in principle, it means he hasn't the slightest intention of putting it into practice." Otto von Bismarck

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k club

Oooh! Lots of colour coded hints! ... Which are of course pointless for me

I'm sure they'll be great additions though

Nice updates

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Great dev diary!!! What a teaser... These get me more and more excited to play this game!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourIron CrossMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Absolutely love the last screenshot, not that I don't the rest of them and the entire dev diary. But the fact that the reports details what units are attacking with what amount of soldiers is great!
    "Now go read my magazine. Although to get the full -effect, you should have someone you admire yell it at you." - Stephen Colbert

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Nice and handy tools!

And, what is important too, i just have to say that I love the graphics of all the GUI. Just an awesome work.
    (the gui graphics looks better than the map/units graphics, and from the screens Johan posted so far it's obvious HOI3 will have the by far the most beautiful gui a paradox game ever had)

Darkest HourEU3 Complete

The "our forces are under attack" window looks cluttere though with all the icons and flags.
    Might look better and be easier to read quickly as two lists on either side of the window. With forces of the same category across from one another with the totals at the top of each collumn. That should make it easy to quicly evaluate the strength of the armies.
    I agree too.
    >>> DH Mixed Mod http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...7199-Mixed-Mod
    >>> Over than 3000 shields/flags for HoI2 cataloged by country => http://hoiflags.blogspot.com

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Despite being the third in the series, this is turning out to be a landmark release.

Kudos! Keep up the good work, as with many titles past, you'll be having my money soon as it hits the shelves
    "The natural cure for an ill-administration, in a popular or representative constitution, is a change of men." - Alexander Hamilton

>>Merlin's Graphics Mod for EU3<<
    -->Discussion Thread<--

>>Hearts of Iron Flags<<
    Germany (Balken Cross)
    Japan (Rising Sun)

I assume the movement arrows will be linked to sprites as well?
    I assume they can be turned to always on so you can see at a glance whether your units in a theater are in combat moving into an empty province or about to engage. This will be particularly useful in monitor AI controlled theaters or army groups.
    Now a suggestion for the combat boxes, turn them into either red or green splashes. They will just look better.
    Stunning stuff.

EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post

Sometimes as a developer you do not see the forest for all the trees. One great suggestion by the beta tester Luka, was to show combat progress on the map, where the battles are actually fought. So I went ‘DOH’, why did not I think of that, and told podcat to code it. Here’s how it looks, with red blocks indicating where you are defending, and green blocks indicating where you are attacking. The numbers indicate your progress of either losing or winning the battle.

Will we be able to turn this feature off? It can also go the other way and be too much info, at times.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Might look better and be easier to read quickly as two lists on either side of the window. With forces of the same category across from one another with the totals at the top of each collumn. That should make it easy to quicly evaluate the strength of the armies.
    Yes, something like in battle description on wikipedia, a column based view could look more clear...

For illustration, it could look something like this>>

instead of the Johan's>>

Agreed - a split column view looks much better

Excellent DD overall

Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixian View Post
    Yes, something like in battle description on wikipedia, a column based view could look more clear...

I´ll support this one

a very good DD Paradox!

one question: can these features be turned off at any time?
    Last edited by Inner Circle; 20-05-2009 at 17:06.

DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game

Quote Originally Posted by Gixian View Post

Yes!
    Sorry, Johan... But this is easier on the eyes...especially after hours of playing the game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast