• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok here goes. We played a lot of games of Hearts of Iron 2 in the early stages of development to see where the game perfromed poorly. One of those was the post war map of Europe. It never looked good. Countries not reappearing when they should (my faourvite was a UK owned Hungary sitting in the middle of europe. Countries not properly reappearing when they should (e.g. chuncks of Norwar remaining part of the USSR). This is a limitation of the event system, trying to cover every possible permutation. However with our system of the countries remaining in place after conquest we cut down the number of permutations. We don't have to consider handing back ownership of the Netherland's provinces from all the possible countries that could end up with them at peace, they are already there owned by the Netherlands. Makes life a lot easier when it comes to setting up a surrender event for Germany.

A sound argument, and I agree that this system should fix a lot of the absurd territorial issues that come about as the result of a major nation surrendering.

However, I do agree with the statements regarding being able to release Ukraine, Belorussia, &c.

There needs to be a flexible system that allows for this, IMO.

Now here is the real question. If we smash a country into GiE, and then eliminate the faction leader and thereby eliminate the GiE's, do we then annex the countries totally. Does this mean we lose RR in the province as well as occupation policies? If we BP USSR out, do we then lose occupation policy, and can thus release Ukraine. And would there be a good reason to release Ukraine (ie there is partisan value, decreased resource production, etc...).

Now here is the real question. If we smash a country into GiE, and then eliminate the faction leader and thereby eliminate the GiE's, do we then annex the countries totally. Does this mean we lose RR in the province as well as occupation policies? If we BP USSR out, do we then lose occupation policy, and can thus release Ukraine. And would there be a good reason to release Ukraine (ie there is partisan value, decreased resource production, etc...).

I have no idea how they plan to decide the fate of countries with GiEs if the leader of the alliance is overrun, but I hope to Christ it doesn't result in the instant 'annexation' of the whole alliance. Perhaps if you overrun the GiE the country should come over to the victor as a puppet. Or something.

Now here is the real question. If we smash a country into GiE, and then eliminate the faction leader and thereby eliminate the GiE's, do we then annex the countries totally.

I think this is not correct, i think you have to eliminate all non-GiE members in an aliance, to wipe all the exiled goverments out of the game. If you eliminate an allience leader, the logical solution is that another member of the alliance takes over the leadership, and so all the GiE of this alliance will still exist.
It would be totally ilogical, if Poland exiled goverment moved to London, and when germans starts the Sealion they just sit there until germans comes to London and shoot them. In such situation, they surelly flee to another save allied country, probably US, and will support Polish struggle for independence as before, no matter that the UK is occupied now.

The whole puppet thing is a bit blurry to me at this point...

King, if you have the time, could you elaborate a bit. The simplest explanation would be how the game simulates the partition of Yugoslavia and subsequent puppet states and collaborative regimes.

What happens after Yugoslavia is occupied? Do neighbours get chunks? Do Croatia and Montenegro form? Same occupation policies in Slovenia, Banat and Serbia?

From what I've read so far, none should be possible, since the Yugoslav king went into exile in Britain.

More importantly. Is it possible to release BRD as puppet before the surrender of Japan and total annihilation of Axis?

One occupation policy per country.

This is a huge mistake and in many ways ruins a great new feature. Treating the USSR as one huge block with one occupation policy is unrealistic. There should be separate policies for all of the different major regions, the Ukraine, Baltic states etc. The difference between Ukraine and say Kazakhstan in the east is night and day, they are different nations and should be treated as such by the engine when dealing with occupation policies.

In addition to this, it is highly unrealistic for other large nations. What happens when someone invades Britain as Germany and conquers it, and then goes to Africa and starts gobbling up British colonies? Would Germany really have the same occupation policy for Britain and her colonies? Since Britain has tons of industry, the German player would probably opt for higher economic exploitation, thus leading to higher partisan levels.

Since the system as it is works for the whole nation, this higher partisan level would also spill over to the colonies, which makes no sense since the German player would probably only want to exploit Britain, not her African colonies which in HoI terms are pretty worthless.

If something like this is going to be implemented, go the whole way and do it right, rather than stop short with the easy solution of "one nation, one policy"

Being able to mod it so one may have one policy per region would be cool.

One guy I know is a bit odd. When he gets a really nice, in his taste and expensive birthday cake, then he complains aloud, that the icing got the right colour all right but the wrong tone. He usually ends up saying that it was a big mistake to make the cake that way. :rolleyes:

What happens after Yugoslavia is occupied? Do neighbours get chunks? Do Croatia and Montenegro form? Same occupation policies in Slovenia, Banat and Serbia?

From what I've read so far, none should be possible, since the Yugoslav king went into exile in Britain.
Croatia forms, because they are not Yugoslavia... And when Yugo has a GiE, Germany (well, most likely) "owns" the provinces, I think, which means they can release Croatia... At least, that's what I believe...
If neighbours gets chunks or not, that's probably going to depend on their own conquest and maybe an event... Probably they will get their core claims, but who knows..

Croatia forms, because they are not Yugoslavia... And when Yugo has a GiE, Germany (well, most likely) "owns" the provinces, I think, which means they can release Croatia... At least, that's what I believe...
If neighbours gets chunks or not, that's probably going to depend on their own conquest and maybe an event... Probably they will get their core claims, but who knows..

I don't see how Croatia is different from Ukraine and you cannot release Ukraine until CCCP surrenders.

I dont think one should own a province to release a puppet there...What if the people there are willing to create another state and ally to the occupier?I dont think that the GiE should effect his.

One guy I know is a bit odd. When he gets a really nice, in his taste and expensive birthday cake, then he complains aloud, that the icing got the right colour all right but the wrong tone. He usually ends up saying that it was a big mistake to make the cake that way. :rolleyes:

What's with the smart ass comment? I think the guy has a point, and a good one at that.

What's with the smart ass comment? I think the guy has a point, and a good one at that.

You are free to think so, and I disagree. The thing is that with every improvement displayed in the DD:s people argue that they need further fractals (in this case) or different implementations (infamous map discussions), or something else. Sure some people always ask for more - in the end the market decides what the game is worth. They cake eaters express themselves and so do others - as myself.