• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i dont understand the above statement at all .. anyone care to explain to me what it says?

he means that after HOI2 end war events you got a total mess of clutter between Soviet, Allied and "freed" nations. You never got it right.

Now nations underlying borders will be predetermined with the exception of provinces changing hands. F.e. the Czech lands going to Germany, and after the war (if Germany loses) forms Chzechoslowakia again.

It means less fuss for them to handle.

Still the situation between Soviet and Allied occupied Axis territory seems not clearly explained - feel free to enlighten me ;)

I'm not a big fan of the idea that Create Puppet function is now useless :(

It had its exploit-y uses in HoI2, but seriously? I can't have Wallonia now? No Ukraine? Nothing?

And yeah, King, I get that I can do that once I annex the country in question, but here's the problem - peace is when the game ends. There's no point in having a function that only works after the world war ends, because no one plays after that anyway. It was done historically in Croatia, so why not elsewhere?

At the very least you could impose various limitations (such as that the territory has to be under Collaboration Government for x months before any puppets may be instituted), or something.

EDIT: I don't mean releasing the owning nation as a puppet. In other words, if Norway has a GIE, I don't want to be able to release Norway. But if I occupy the Ukraine (which is owned by the Soviets), I want to be able to liberate it and have it raise actual troops.

Very nice feature, as always.

You have to own the provinces a puppet is made up of before you can release them? Well, that will make things somewhat harder :D

wow, i love the detail that you guys have coded here. Can't wait to pre-order, keep up the good work!

Hypothetically speaking if the USSR was several seperate countries then you could have different occupation policies.

Is it still possible to liberate countries, such as the Ukraine, as we could in HoI2? If so, this could address the issue.

Absolutely brilliant design, btw.

It had its exploit-y uses in HoI2, but seriously? I can't have Wallonia now? No Ukraine? Nothing?

I am pretty sure you can liberate Ukraine, but only after BP, not before. Forcing the player to beat the Soviets to the pacific sounds like a bad idea to me, so i am sure BP will transfer ownership of those provinces to Germany

And yeah, King, I get that I can do that once I annex the country in question, but here's the problem - peace is when the game ends. There's no point in having a function that only works after the world war ends, because no one plays after that anyway. It was done historically in Croatia, so why not elsewhere?

At the very least you could impose various limitations (such as that the territory has to be under Collaboration Government for x months before any puppets may be instituted), or something.

EDIT: I don't mean releasing the owning nation as a puppet. In other words, if Norway has a GIE, I don't want to be able to release Norway. But if I occupy the Ukraine (which is owned by the Soviets), I want to be able to liberate it and have it raise actual troops.

Being able to liberate Ukraine is a must, definitely. If I manage to do a successful Sealion I want to be able to set up puppet governments on the British Islands in case the UK decides to continue the war from Canada. Of course, to avoid abuse, this should take some time, and not be instant as the case was in HoI2.

Regarding Wallonia:
In HOI2, we have the event that the Dutch/Belgium territory chnages ownership to Germany after the two countries are beaten on the continent.
If there are similar events in HOI3, I guess that Flandern/Wallonia can be created without the Afrikakorps invading Congo and the Kriegsmarine operating in Indonesia and the Caribbean - or am I wrong?

Best regards,
Roland

Actually it seems the Germans can overrun the whole Dutch / Belgian colonial empire for no special gain, because the Government in Exile will still exist in the Allied capital. Which makes better sense all round.

i dont understand the above statement at all .. anyone care to explain to me what it says?

Ok here goes. We played a lot of games of Hearts of Iron 2 in the early stages of development to see where the game perfromed poorly. One of those was the post war map of Europe. It never looked good. Countries not reappearing when they should (my faourvite was a UK owned Hungary sitting in the middle of europe. Countries not properly reappearing when they should (e.g. chuncks of Norwar remaining part of the USSR). This is a limitation of the event system, trying to cover every possible permutation. However with our system of the countries remaining in place after conquest we cut down the number of permutations. We don't have to consider handing back ownership of the Netherland's provinces from all the possible countries that could end up with them at peace, they are already there owned by the Netherlands. Makes life a lot easier when it comes to setting up a surrender event for Germany.

Regarding Wallonia:
In HOI2, we have the event that the Dutch/Belgium territory chnages ownership to Germany after the two countries are beaten on the continent.
If there are similar events in HOI3, I guess that Flandern/Wallonia can be created without the Afrikakorps invading Congo and the Kriegsmarine operating in Indonesia and the Caribbean - or am I wrong?

Best regards,
Roland

No, the Dutch Belgium Government's in Exile fight on from London. As long as those exist the things that you describe are simply a form of collaboration government.

Hello, i thought USSR is a "union" of "republics"... why they are just 1 country? i remember Stalin demands a place in UN for all of his "republics"

And as long as we're doing that, the United States is a collection of "States." :p

I second this sentiment. We need a way a to liberate without completelt beating the host nation. Someone earlier mentioned Mengukuo, so are all the puppet nations that were released from axis occupied territory going to have to to be handled by event?

Hello, i thought USSR is a "union" of "republics"... why they are just 1 country? i remember Stalin demands a place in UN for all of his "republics"

And he did get those places, right? I think you just refuted yourself with your example. :)

I also think the occupation policy should somehow allow to differentiate between different regions , it was a common german tactic to rule through favouring particular ethnicities over others, eg in the beginning of the war they decided it would be a good idea to cozy up to the flemish and so the flemish POW's were released a lot sooner than the walloons

I also think the occupation policy should somehow allow to differentiate between different regions , it was a common german tactic to rule through favouring particular ethnicities over others, eg in the beginning of the war they decided it would be a good idea to cozy up to the flemish and so the flemish POW's were released a lot sooner than the walloons

Enthnicities aren't simulated in any of the Hearts of Iron games.

So the important and simple question is>
How will be things like Menguko or Croatia handled in this new system? Created by events that will modify borders, that are otherwise static? Or what about Slovakia? So far you never admit that events could/will shift borders, or change ownership of provinces, but in my imagination thats the only way it could work... Because I just dont believe there will not be any Menguko, or that after the split of Czechoslovakia, new Slovakia will only occupy its land, not control it, because that just will not make any sense. (And i'm just not like some other forum members here, who thinks you are making any nonsences into HOI3 ;) )