• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah I got that it won't necessarily be your core provinces but that really isn't my question is it? So basically it means that there won't be any option for the player on what kind of policy to choose from when they annex a country which is weird because I see Norway under the list of occupied countries. It probably means that annex is only possible if there is no government in exile but that doesn't mean that you should just take out the occupation option out.
Ah, yes... Now that's another question :p Or, not another question, but your real one :rofl:
You can't annex a country unless the whole alliance is done with, but I would assume that you still choose how occupied\owned provinces should be dealt with ;)

Alright, so in order to have "differing occupation policies" within the SU, I suppose you could use events/decisions in a mod to drive it.

Can event commands be used to force a government in exile into existence as in the following example?

Eg. sequence A to E for each region, after it is fully occupied by an outside power (eg. Baltics as a whole)

A
Transfer province ownership from SU to Germany.

B
Release puppets, negate dissent penalties for puppet release (if any)

C
Declare war on puppets.

D
Transfer control of all provinces in region to Germany.

E
Force existence of Government in Exile for each puppet, to prevent annexation. Force location to Moscow if necessary.

I had a bit of time to think about the system and am a little concerned by 3 things.

1. will menguko not be in the game as it is not possible to release puppets on territory which is merely occupied in this case Nat China?

2. Will Croatia not be able to be released due to the same restriction in this case the presence of a Yugoslav government in exile?

3. Most importantly, as I am Czech, will the Czechoslovak government in exile and therefore Czechoslovak military units not be present due to Czechoslovakia being annexed prior to WW2? I know they played a lesser role than Polands exile government but Czechoslovak units took an active role in many important WW2 conflicts such as the Battle of Britain and North Africa.

4. Ok I thought of one more how will the alternative exile governments(soviet puppets) be represented?

I had a bit of time to think about the system and am a little concerned by 3 things.

1. will menguko not be in the game as it is not possible to release puppets on territory which is merely occupied in this case Nat China?

2. Will Croatia not be able to be released due to the same restriction in this case the presence of a Yugoslav government in exile?

3. Most importantly, as I am Czech, will the Czechoslovak government in exile and therefore Czechoslovak military units not be present due to Czechoslovakia being annexed prior to WW2? I know they played a lesser role than Polands exile government but Czechoslovak units took an active role in many important WW2 conflicts such as the Battle of Britain and North Africa.

4. Ok I thought of one more how will the alternative exile governments(soviet puppets) be represented?

Look:

fz10qa3.jpg

It Seems that Slovakia and Croatia Exits.... So may be Events.

And Czech Territory is Anexed so not Czech Exile Gov......

So stripes cannot be hidden by option / mods ?
The game engine can use then as much as it wants, I don't want to see them.

Look:

It Seems that Slovakia and Croatia Exits.... So may be Events.

And Czech Territory is Anexed so not Czech Exile Gov......

About that map. Historically Germany had annexed (among other areas) Luxembourg, Alsace-Lorraine, a big slice of Poland and much of Slovenia by this date. If that's not corrected by the time the game is released, we're going to need a few more events. It's certainly a step in the right direction, mind.

Important modding question to the Devs:

If I occupy a part of my enemy that he occupied will it be separated or will it have the same policy for the whole country?
In other words:
If SSRs (like Ukraine) would work as for example occupied land with modder created 'Soviet Republic' as occupation policy will we be then able to release it and/or have our policy torwards them?

Another thing is - can we have separated occupation policy for different factions? Total exploitation as USA is a little to much IMO. Or can we at least have some modifiers that unlock certain occupation policy.

I wonder how would it work for British India...'Dominion' policy.

My read had been that most of those had been considered occupied, with governments-in-exile, under the new system.

Sure, and I welcome the fact that annexation and occupation are at last properly distinguished. But the areas I mentioned were actually attached to Germany and ruled directly from Berlin.

I had a bit of time to think about the system and am a little concerned...

This is precisely why I asked the question previously.

Alas, no answer from a dev... yet...

;)

Last edited:
And I will repeat but make a different example:
if Baltic States arent annexed but occupied by SU - will Germany be able to release them or create occupation government?

I would go further to say that even if they were annexed, technically, they still existed (historically) as seperate "states." Therefore, it would make sense if they could, at least, be released.

;)

What bothers me most is how the transition between ocupied province and owned province is made. I think it goes like this, so if anyone understands it better I ask him to correct me.

Scenario A: an non faction country (ex. Albania)
You DoW them, and until you take all their VP provinces (VPs are still in?) they are subject to occupation (you can set occupation level). Once you annex them, since they are not part of any faction, so world clearly doesn't care for them. Those provinces become Owned provinces with 100% productivity, basically your core province. No need for occupation level.

Scenario B: a faction country (ex France)
Same as above until annexation. Then their government flees to London, and you can't legally own their territory, since their government is alive so you can only occupy them. Potentially events can make some provinces of their yours (ex Poland).

Or the cores are still in and they regulate owned/controlled mechanic?

because I'm interested when can you release a puppet form some conquered territory like Poland (have all their territories, not like Belgians who will have some remaining in Africa). Immediately after annexation (or breakdown), after you destroy their faction or something else. Because you shouldn't be able to do it after annexation because those provinces are still only controled not owned.
So when do provinces become owned?

johan said:
One of the more unsatisfactory things with HoI2 was the end of the war, or more exactly no matter how hard you tried you never could quite get the borders looking right. Well now we part of the problem solved already. With the underlying borders sitting there we only have to worry about those provinces that change ownership like Germany and Poland for example. This cuts down the permutations dramatically, allowing a Hearts of Iron 3 post war Europe to look more like a post war Europe. Although since we don’t know what you the player are actually going to do with your game we in way shape or form guarantee that post war Europe will look like post war Europe. All we have done is set up a system that cope better minor deviations from the time line.

i dont understand the above statement at all .. anyone care to explain to me what it says?