+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #28 - 13th of May 2009

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Development Diary #28 - 13th of May 2009

Occupation Policies, there has been much talk about those stripes on the map, so let’s talk a little bit about them. Many of you have noticed the stripes to denote the difference between those provinces that you occupy and those that you actually own. We did this for some very good reasons.

One of the more unsatisfactory things with HoI2 was the end of the war, or more exactly no matter how hard you tried you never could quite get the borders looking right. Well now we part of the problem solved already. With the underlying borders sitting there we only have to worry about those provinces that change ownership like Germany and Poland for example. This cuts down the permutations dramatically, allowing a Hearts of Iron 3 post war Europe to look more like a post war Europe. Although since we don’t know what you the player are actually going to do with your game we in way shape or form guarantee that post war Europe will look like post war Europe. All we have done is set up a system that cope better minor deviations from the time line.

The other logic for this system is allowing occupation policies to vary according to the country. This is another part of Heart of Iron 2 that is rather unsatisfactory everywhere was always the same. Now you have the option of varying the occupation policy by country, the game knows where these countries are thanks to those nifty stripes you see on the map. The harsher your policy the more resources and partisans you get from a country but the less manpower and leadership. This allows you to do a number of neat things. Firstly during conquest you can throttle back the occupation policy allowing you to focus more on conquering and less on your lines of communication. The second is that there will be some countries that from an economic point of view aren’t valuable but are worth holding for strategic reasons. Take Denmark as an example, not exactly Europe’s industrial powerhouse. With the variable occupation policy you can be lighter on a country like Denmark, reducing the need for garrisons, allowing you to divert garrisons to areas of greater economic value.

The third addition is how partisans work. Instead of being an instant value, it has a base value that it gradually moves towards. So instead of being a set number it is a gradual process. This is far more realistic, instead of instant partisans the minute you occupy territory it takes time for resistance movements to organise themselves. It also means that if you decide to be nice to the people the won’t simply pack their bags and go home, the partisans will keep fighting on at the same rate for a while, until the reduction in local support reduces their operational efficiency.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Great

Historically correct border and new dynamic partisan systems.

Great!! Cant wait for August...

Woo. When will you put a countdown timer on gamers gate?

Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Interesting DevDiary!

Will the ministers affect the modifiers of the occupation Policy?

DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

What are the occupational policies that we can pick between? Are those moddable?
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Social Democrat
    Issues: Interventionism/Free trade
    Current work: Tech Support
    Cash reserves: Whatever coins I find in my apartment.
    Revolt risk: 28%
    Militancy: 9
    Consciousness: 8

This is no AAR, this is a space station, no wait, THIS IS SPARTA, no I am doing it wrong, this is a bonus developer diary.
    - King

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Great, and once again very logical solution to a puzzling problem. Well done!
    "What is a hen-teaser?"

"Coffee? What am I, some American who has no tea because he threw it into the ocean, and thus has to settle for coffee?"
    - Volrath50

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Temrek View Post
    What are the occupational policies that we can pick between? Are those moddable?
    There are 4 levels and they are stored in a plain text file so you can mod the effects.
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Niiiice
    "I've become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds."
    - J. Robert Oppenheimer

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourIron CrossLegioMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Wow, excellent Dev. Diary, as always.

One question -- say I am invading the Soviet Union as Germany. Obviously, this takes a long time to do, so while I am doing so, do I then set my occupation policy, or do I have to be at peace (i.e., have some sort of cease-fire in place) or can I set my occupational policy during the war with the country I am already partly occupying?
    AARs: From Sicily to Italy: A Tale of Re-Unification, Expansion and Empire:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=472240 (Cancelled)

Summa sedes non capit duos.

I see both Denmark and Norway has a Collaboration Government. The Norwegian legitimate government and king fled to England and led the opposition from there. The Danish ones stayed put. Shouldn't there be some further differentiation there?

I would propose that you have illegitimate and legitimate collaboration governments with legitimate ones only possible during certain criteria or by event.

Quote Originally Posted by oribiasi View Post
    Wow, excellent Dev. Diary, as always.

One question -- say I am invading the Soviet Union as Germany. Obviously, this takes a long time to do, so while I am doing so, do I then set my occupation policy, or do I have to be at peace (i.e., have some sort of cease-fire in place) or can I set my occupational policy during the war with the country I am already partly occupying?
    You can set occupation policy the minute you occupy a province.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinseek View Post
    I see both Denmark and Norway has a Collaboration Government. The Norwegian legitimate government and king fled to England and led the opposition from there. The Danish ones stayed put. Shouldn't there be some further differentiation there?

I would propose that you have illegitimate and legitimate collaboration governments with legitimate ones only possible during certain criteria or by event.
    No

Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

I like the partisans

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    There are 4 levels and they are stored in a plain text file so you can mod the effects.
    Can we add more levels or only what they do, their effects?
    ...Can You hear the howling?...

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Wait a minute...

POLITICS
    < Expert >

What's that in the upper right corner?
    "What is a hen-teaser?"

"Coffee? What am I, some American who has no tea because he threw it into the ocean, and thus has to settle for coffee?"
    - Volrath50

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    Can we add more levels or only what they do, their effects?
    of course you can add more

¡Por qué no te callas! Moderator Txini's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Gijón, Kingdom of Asturias, Spanish Empire
    An what will happen with those Occupied Countries when War reaches end, will some be auto-annexed, for example Total Exploitation Poland, and others become Puppets as Collaborationist Government Denmark?
    Hay quien ha venido al mundo para enamorarse de una sola y determinada mujer, y consecuentemente, no es probable que tropiece con ella.-José Ortega y Gasset

Ven a Ierusalem y sigue las aventuras de los Judíos contra el Yugo Romano. - Votaciones Aquí - terminado

¡Ahora, ahora, ahora Quini ahora!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper Fi

Nice
    "We must teach them. We must take away their planes, their automatic weapons, their tanks, their artillery and teach them dignity".
    -For Whome the Bell Tolls.

"Win first, and then fight."
    -Sun Tzu.

so it is the great precept of nature to love ourselves only as we love our neighbour, or what comes to the same thing, as our neighbour is capable of loving us.

Adam Smith, -Theory of Moral Sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    of course you can add more
    The modability of this game makes me shiver...
    ...Can You hear the howling?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast