• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CaptRobau

Master of the Universe
66 Badges
May 6, 2009
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings III
The Road to Jerusalem

Game: Desert Fox: Rommel in Africa as Germany, goal is strategic victory
Version: HoI2: DD ARMA 1.2
Difficulty: Very hard/normal
Style: Narrative

The good thing about these battle scenario AARs is that I can move on quickly to a new one. I never get bored and neither will you. This time Rommel is up for the task as he commands the German Afrikakorps and his Italian allies to victory. I chose to play as Germany because I like to do it the way that never happened. Playing as the British would to me be a very boring defensive game. Germany on the other hand is on the attack. Plus I think Rommel is a much more intriguiging character.

The Road to Jerusalem Trailer

Last edited:
Inlots

With the British you can attack too, and quite successfully. In fact, the scenario is quite easy no matter which side you play. At least you've set it on very hard, hopefully that'll make things a bit more interesting. ;)

Count me in! Apparenly, this one should last a bit more, isn't it?

1942-43, I guess...

Tripoli
February 14th, 1941

trtj01.jpg

The air was hot and dry. The 49-year old Lieutenant General descneded the ramp. Rommel stepped on the concrete dock and looked around. Tripoli's harbor was filled with dozens of ships, most of them transport ships. At the adjacent dock they were unloading a panzer. Rommel had been given control of the Deutches Afrikakorps by the Führer himself. Two days after he was assigned the task he was already in Africa. He was to take the fresh divisions and reinforce the battered Italian troops that had been pushed back by the British. Any further incursions into Italian territory was unacceptable. The Italians could not hold the line on their own and as such the Oberkommando des Heeres had decided to send a blocking force.
A staff car pulled up in front of Rommel. It would take him to the recidency of the Italian Governor-General and Commander-in-Chief of Libya. Rodolfo Graziani was a sour-looking man. He looked as if he had seen his fair share of troubles. Rommel liked those qualities in a man. Still he was uncomfortable by the look Graziani gave him. They shook hands and he was invited into the stately mansion that was Graziani's residence. After a quick cup of tea, he was led by Graziani into a small planning room. A single soldier was manning the radio in the corner of the room. On the wall hung a large map of Libya, arrows and points drawn across its surface. "I'm sure you've been fully briefed on the situation my troops are in?" Graziani asked while pointing at the map. Rommel nodded and together they walked over to the map. "I cannot stress the dire situation we are in general Rommel," the Italian continued. "The British are much stronger than we anticipated." "Don't worry, my divisions can easily hold the line." Rommel pointed at the area near El Agheila: "As you must know, this is only a small strip of land. Forty miles from the sea it already turns into endless sand dunes. No Englishman that will go through there. My divisions will hold." Judging by Graziani's he wasn't completely reassured. Rommel wasn't looking forward to work with this man. The two discussed tactics for another hour or so. Rommel went to bed early. Tomorrow the first of his troops would already leave for the frontline and Rommel wanted to arrive there as soon as they did.

Near El Agheila
March 22rd, 1941

Rommel had arrived at the frontline safely. Immediately after arrival he had sent out scouting parties to probe the enemy and see what they were worth. He was sitting in the shade of his tent when the first party returned. The officer of the party rushed out of the car as soon as it had come to a stop and ran to Rommel. After saluting back, Rommel said: "Report!" "General, we managed to get within a mile of the enemy encampment. Their defense was sluggish and weak. The Italian information was correct though, we saw four divisions." "Good, good. They've let their guard down." He turned to one of his aides and asked: "Have all the brigades arrived yet?" "Not yet Sir, the division won't be complete until around ten o'clock this evening," the aide replied. Rommel thought for a moment and then said: "Round up the senior officers for a meeting at eleven. The Italians too. I want to make preparations for an probing attack on the British divisions. Lets see how weak they really are." The aide ran into the tent leaving Rommel behind to think about the upcoming attack. This could a golden opportunity. To attack is the best defense someone once said.

Agedebia
March 30th, 1941

They had managed to easily defeat the British army at El Agheila and now they were preparing for another big push. The battered British divisions would stand no chance against the combined Italian-German force led by Rommel. Overhead German bombers and fighters were heading to battlefield. So were Rommel and his Panzer division. The Italians would attack the three divisions Benghazi and hold there while the Afrikakorps would move through Msus and Derna to encircle and destroy the troops in Barca.

trtj02.jpg

Last edited:
NIce start!

But shouldn't it be: the battered british divisions who don't stand a chance against your push?

From my (little) experience, now you worst enemy is the lack of motorisation in most of the Italian units and the wide distances (I found myself with Rommel at El Alamein and the Italian grunts still at Tobruk... :mad:)

From my (little) experience, now you worst enemy is the lack of motorisation in most of the Italian units and the wide distances (I found myself with Rommel at El Alamein and the Italian grunts still at Tobruk... :mad:)

Yeah, that happens to me every time I play desert fox with germany. The italians divisons, except for that few motorized, are useless. They are weak, slow, low org...

Yeah, that happens to me every time I play desert fox with germany. The italians divisons, except for that few motorized, are useless. They are weak, slow, low org...

That is why I go with "fullcontrol". Gives me a better use of the Italians.

This looks very good so far. I only have a small suggestion with your writing. It is hard to follow who is saying what in the previous update. I suggest that you start a new paragraph for a new speaker. You should only have quotes by one speaker per paragraph.

Besides that small point I think you are doing an excellent job and I am very much looking forward to more.

I'm not entirely sure what your meaning is, M4, but it's probably inappropriate.