• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Port Said by mid-December. Looks like some guesses were a bit too optimistic. :D

Port Said
January 6th, 1942

portsaideglisecophete.jpg

Port Said wasn’t a very large town, its existence only justified by the presence of a continent-dividing canal. Due to its proximity to the French built canal, Port Said had a very European look. General Rommel resided in a hotel-turned-command-centre which was run by a middle-aged Frenchman named René. René was born near the Alsace and was therefore knew German very well. This made dealing with the man that much easier.
Rommel and his staff were sitting in the lounge while discussing the ongoing campaign when René came to them, carrying a full tray. The German general stopped talking and looked at the owner.
“I thought you gentlemen might like some ice tea in this hot climate,” René said.
Rommel smiled and thanked the man. After René put the drink on the table in the middle he held the tray in front of his chest and said in a subordinate tone: “I’m sorry for the lack of electricity. The fighting damaged the power lines and my generator out back can only provide so much.”
“It’s okay,” Rommel replied. René turned around but before he could walk away Rommel asked: “René?”
“Yes?” “What do you think of this war? Do you hate us for invading your country?”
“To be honest general, I care little for war. Most people just try to get on with their lives. Take me for example. I was born in France but when you live in the Alsace you’re just as German as any of you. And now I call Egypt my home. War is politics, powerful men drawing lines on a map.”
Rommel nodded understandingly, seemingly satisfied with the answer and René left.

Port Said
January 31st, 1942

The British on the other side of the canal were dug in deep. German and Italian forces had managed to cross the Suez Canal several times but each time they were driven back across by deep layers of defensive positions and the British mobile tanks. In an effort to weaken the British, Rommel had tasked the Luftwaffe and the Italian airforce to mercilessly pound the enemy into submission. But the British were resilient and withstood the around-the-clock attacks. The bad communication between the Germans and Italians didn’t help much either. Rommels hope were three new motorized divisions arriving from Italy that would tip the balance in their favour. Sometimes superior numbers and brute force had to be applied.

Sinai Desert
February 3rd, 1942

As soon as the Italian reinforcements arrived Rommel had ordered the attack. Facing them were 9 British battle-hardened divisions led by Lt. General Montgomery, known for successes in the Syria Campaign. With the critical situation at the Suez Canal Montgomery had flown Damascus to Jerusalem and onto the Sinai Desert, taking command of the forces there just in time for the assault. Wether the British got wind of the upcoming assault no-one knows.
Montgomery’s experience didn’t matter much in the upcoming battle. After crossing the Canal, the Axis’ mobile forces cut through the German defences. The infantry units advancing behind them did the rest of the work. As dusk fell, the Suez Canal was under full control of the Germans and their forces were driving deep into the Sinai Peninsula, on their way to Jerusalem. Some British forces retreated into a pocket around Sharm-al-Sheikh where they would soon face encirclement.

trtj022.jpg

Jerusalem
February 11th, 1942

The battle for North Africa had been won and the Middle East lay for the taking. That’s what General Erwin Rommel thought as he entered Jerusalem. They were greeted by a crowd Palestinians on the side of the road, who seemed genuinely happy to see them. After they had broken through the British defences in the Sinai, the road to Jerusalem had been an empty one. The Sharm-al-Sheikh pocket had been neutralized and the Italians were already moving into Jordan. Britain had been utterly defeated. In the north the Syrians had managed to break through the siege of Aleppo. When the Syrians and German armies would meet the British divisions between them would be crushed.

trtj023.jpg
trtj024.jpg
trtj026.jpg

The breakthroughs at El Alamein and Suez and the subsequent capture of Jerusalem would have lasting implications for the Axis war effort. Days after the defeat of the British at Suez, Saudi Arabia joined the Allies but the entire Arabian Peninsula would be overrun within the coming months. In the south, the Italians forces in the Horn of Africa would eventually meet up with the armies from Egypt. Together they would move their way down the African continent.
The Syrian armies would eventually meet up with the Germans, the British armies forced to surrender. Reassured by the Axis successes in the Middle East, Turkey joined the war on Germany’s side in early March. Backed by German armies, the Turks captured the oil fields of Baku that were so vital to the Axis war machine. The war in Russia would go the way the Germans wanted it.
Rommel’s Afrikakorps, renamed the Deutsche Asienkorps would have several more successful campaigns in Iraq and Persia and would spearhe

Last edited:
Since no-one got anywhere close to I'm giving the Polish Sausage of Close-But-No-Cigar to all three participants: Myth, Kurt_Steiner, Juan_de_Marco. My advice is: learn to guess better :D

Thanks for this undeserved prize, but if you ever expect me to guess better...

well...

Better don't guess when I'll manage to do it... :D

Polish, by the way?

When I heard Polish, I feel the urge to invade Wagner.

I think tehre is something wrong in that last sentence...

Rommel’s Afrikakorps, renamed the Deutsche Asienkorps would have several more successful campaigns in Iraq and Persia and would spearhe

Is this the end of the story? If it is, how much information are we missing? :confused:

yes but it was quite a jump from june '41 to dec. '41. I think I played it after you started this scenario, but as I said, you have to be ruthless to do it quickly. attack understrength, underorg-ed, rush for alexandra, leave some gaps behind your spearheads, carefully pick apart pockets, and most importantly: the infantry ALWAYS has to march. no rest for the wicked.

Is this the end of the story? If it is, how much information are we missing? :confused:

That's just speculation after winning the game which happened after I took Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

Sorry about the quick end but there just wasn't much interesting stuff between those things so I just told them in one recap.

Regarding Juan de Marco: you're right ofcourse but sometimes your just too slow and once you do it wrong once you'll never catch up.

That's just speculation after winning the game which happened after I took Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

Sorry about the quick end but there just wasn't much interesting stuff between those things so I just told them in one recap.

I meant your last sentence just stops. There isn't even an "." at the end.

Oh, didn't notice that. Maybe I hit the character limit. Well anyway it goes something like this: "Rommel’s Afrikakorps, renamed the Deutsche Asienkorps would have several more successful campaigns in Iraq and Persia and would spearhead the invasion of India."

That's all I could remember. Don't think much more came after that so you didn't miss much. Bottom line: Rommel did well ;)

Oh, didn't notice that. Maybe I hit the character limit. Well anyway it goes something like this: "Rommel’s Afrikakorps, renamed the Deutsche Asienkorps would have several more successful campaigns in Iraq and Persia and would spearhead the invasion of India."

That's all I could remember. Don't think much more came after that so you didn't miss much. Bottom line: Rommel did well ;)

Good for Rommel! He is certain to have a better future than he did historically.