+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The 1948 Arab-Israeli War

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

The 1948 Arab-Israeli War

The 1948 Arab-Israeli War , version 1.1.

This is a little battlescenario I've made, dealing with the war that ensued after the formation of Israel. It took me a while to complete, as I worked out the intricacies of modding HoI2, and it's very short in duration, since it begins in 15 May 1948 and ends in 24 February 1949, while the belligerents are all micropowers in regards to their ICs, but I hope it will provide some entertainment.

I've taken care to create a completely vanilla-friendly scenario, for HoI2, Doomsday and Armageddon. No game files are overwritten at any point, and there is no effect on the actual game, apart from the addition of the new scenario. Due to HoI2's hardcoded time limit, I made a separate version for it, where all events are shifted to the past by two years. So in the HoI2 version the war begins in 1946 and ends in 1947. I've also changed some ministers who only become active after 1947.

Here is a screenshot of the scenario selection screen, where you can also see the map and belligerent nations:

Downloads:

Here is the scenario for Doomsday/Armageddon:
    Palestine_1948_HoI2_1_1.zip

and here is the same scenario for HoI2, adapted for the earlier timeframe (the war begins in 1946 instead of 1948):
    Palestine_1948_DD_Arm_1_1.zip

In each case, copy the contents of the zip to [your version of HoI2]\
    It should appear as a selectable scenario when you launch the game.

No game files are altered or overwritten at any time. Both zips are about 266kB in size.

Changes in v1.1:

- Renamed some Israeli divisions.
    - "Beaufighters" event now activates a CAS squadron for Israel.
    - Added one point of IC and some population and resources to Egypt.
    Last edited by Selzro; 30-12-2011 at 21:57.

HoI Anthology

I'm getting it

I presume you use divisions as (apart from they are the game unit) in 1948 only brigades fought. You should make on for 1982, 73 and 67

Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic

I'm using half strength divisions to represent most starting bridages, although I've grouped some into full strength divisions for simplicity's sake. I couldn't find the names of most military units, so apart from a few historical ones I guessed the others. I tried to get army setups as close in numbers and types to the historical ones as possible, which means that Israel starts with a large army, compared to its neighbours, although a bit worse in quality.

Maybe one day I'll attempt this for some other war. But not anytime soon.

Elchanan Tannenbaum is one of the generals but I don't think he was even born in 1948 ><
    btw here's the names of the brigades..most of them don't exist now
    Infantry:
    Golani Brigade
    Carmeli Brigade
    Alexandroni Brigade
    kiryati brigade
    Givati Brigade
    Aziyoni Brigade
    Oded Brigade
    Armor:
    8th Armored Brigade
    7th Armored Brigade
    Palmach Brigades:
    Arel Brigade
    Yiftach Brigade
    Negev Brigade

Thanks for the info RoSeaY! I've already included the 8th Armored Brigade (as a mechanized brigade, since that's what it more closely resembled, to my knowledge). I'll name the others accordingly (at least the Palmach ones) when I release a new version.

Tannenbaum is an Israeli general in HoI2. He becomes active in 1945. Maybe he's an ancestor of that other Tannenbaum who wasn't born yet at that time. I haven't added any leaders besides the ones already in the leader files, since I didn't want to make changes to them (plus, in only a rare few cases did I know the actual leader of each unit).

I'm not a huge battle scenario fan, but this one looks really well done. Great work!

Thanks!

HoI Anthology

Can you do a step by step thing with screenshots. I don't know the exact file where to put it. Thanks. I've done it in all three's SCENARIO folder.

Pantomacatalasecesionanis ta

Blog Entries
    Downloaded and play till june 1948 -no more time to test it more thoroughly- and I can say this:

I love it!

Great work!
    "Pequeño Padawan Kurtizacoal, por qué me has salido tan cabrón?" - me dijo mi Maestro.
    Palo Dixit: posible Anticristo, vacalentacialanonanista, Culé y Salido que provoca manifas por donde pasa.
    Palo Dixit redux: Escatológico bipolar

AARs en curso o acabados -Ongoing and finished HoI2 AARs-
    WritAAR of the Week:16-03-07/5-04-09/13-09-09/19-09-10/28-10-11 - Fan of the week 25-03-07/29-10-07/06-04-08/29-12-08/13-09-09 - Canonized 02-12-07 - Best Character WritAAR of the Week:03-04-09- Showcased 01-05-2010/10-12-2010 - Mi blog: Confesiones clandestinas: Poema frungido [Actualizado 20/10/2014]

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Finally found Jehanne's chastity belt! But can't get the key in.
    A wonderful little battle scenario. Thanks.

I even get to try out my Israel, Palestine and Syria skins.

Ayeshteni
    "I Have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephan Hawkings

Owner of a Golden Phoenix cookie! Extremely Proud owner of a BiB cookie! I also have a very special Johan cookie as well
    Owner of 7 2Coaties
    "Why not? The primary causes for union are, thankfully, long gone. So why are we hanging on to it? For the sake of sentimentality? An uncertain economic argument that's easily dismissed? Nah. Go forth, Scots. All power to your elbow. You'll take the oil and we'll take the nukes, and we'll be in Brussels afore ye. And so on." - Rabid Bogling

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by TombolaG View Post
    Can you do a step by step thing with screenshots. I don't know the exact file where to put it. Thanks. I've done it in all three's SCENARIO folder.
    I add to this request.
    Nationality: Czech
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Anarcho-Liberal
    Issues: Laissez Faire/Full Citizenship
    Cash Reserves: Rising
    Militancy: 4 (-0.01)
    Consciousness: 9 (+0.10)

It's very simple. Here goes:

Go to where you've saved the zip file (it's circled in red in this screenshot - I'm using Windows Commander but any other file management program, like My Computer, will do). Select it and choose to unpack its contents to your HoI2/DD/Arm folder (as seen with the arrow).

Depending on your program (for instance if you are using Windows Commander), you may be able to drag and drop the contents of the zip directly to their destination.

In this case, as you can see, the zip contains two folders, gfx and scenarios, which correspond to folders of the same name in HoI2. Drag and drop them (or however else you unpack them) to the root HoI2 folder (as shown in the previous picture) and the contents of these folders will go automatically to the corresponding folders in HoI2. Careful, if you drag and drop each folder to the corresponding folder, it will form inside that folder, and you don't want that. Unpack directly to HoI2's root folder.
    Last edited by Selzro; 12-05-2009 at 22:34.

The bane of all farmers SeedSnatcher's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club

Fun battlescenario you've made here. Only managed to get a draw as Israel on my first try.

The only inaccuracy I saw was in the event that gives Israel a bomber squad. The event says B-17s, but gives you a STR wing. B-17s were tactical bombers, B-25s are the strategics. It would make the event more useful in any case.

Great scenario all-in-all, nice and challenging.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

In the USA's techtree, B-17's are basic strategic bombers and B-25's are advanced tactical bombers. Did Paradox get it wrong?

Israel gets some Beaufighters later on as an event. HoI2 has them classified as CAS, but I've used the event to strengthen the initial B-17 squadron, since it seemed like a simpler approach at the time. Do you think I should make the Beaufighters into a separate CAS squadron, or just turn the B-17 one into tactical and keep them there?

The bane of all farmers SeedSnatcher's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club

No, I was remembering stuff wrong, the B-17 is the strategic bomber.

So yes, do give Israel a CAS wing. Makes things easier.

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubTeleglitch: Die More Edition

It's not possible to win it as Egypt, as you can't command AI divisions because of other AI has more IC.

An event maybe? Or then you could make all the arab countries into 1 nation called "Arab Coalition" or some such.

I meant to include an event that allows you military control of the rest of the Arab forces, but I couldn't find the command. Any help would be appreciated.

Egypt is currently tied in IC with Iraq, while every other Arab country (and Israel) has less. Even when I had given more IC to Egypt you could only be given expeditionary forces for limited amounts of time (as happens now). That's actually realistic, since a major problem for the Arabs was that they had no unified command, so it was easy for the Israelis to fend off their attacks and go on the offensive. But it does make it very difficult to win as the Arabs in this battlescenario.

I have won as Egypt during testing, although it required some gamey maneuvering. If you retreat and let the Israelis advance to Port Said, your home army will be activated, and that's 6 extra infantry divisions. If I can find the command for assuming military control in an event, I'll add it, and it will make things simpler.

HoI Anthology

thanks for the info.

HoI Anthology

I use powerdesk. I don't know how to work it with that after the first stage. Mine comes up with all the events, etc.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

Blog Entries
    Awesome Battlescenario.

And yes, I do agree that you should make one for the other wars too.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (If you want peace, prepare for war) - Pvblivs Flavivs Vegetivs Renatvs

Stopping the 40 day plan: A French 1914 AAR Completed
    pAARallel Universes: A Germany 1936 Grand Campaign Abandoned

WW Big Wins: LXV, LXXI, CXXVII, CXXIX, CXXX, CXXXI, CXXXII
    WW Lite Wins: XCVII (sub win), CXIX, CXXI, CXXVII, CXXXVI, CCVIII, CCXXXVIII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast