• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Selzro

Lt. General
48 Badges
Apr 23, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
The 1948 Arab-Israeli War , version 1.1.

This is a little battlescenario I've made, dealing with the war that ensued after the formation of Israel. It took me a while to complete, as I worked out the intricacies of modding HoI2, and it's very short in duration, since it begins in 15 May 1948 and ends in 24 February 1949, while the belligerents are all micropowers in regards to their ICs, but I hope it will provide some entertainment.

I've taken care to create a completely vanilla-friendly scenario, for HoI2, Doomsday and Armageddon. No game files are overwritten at any point, and there is no effect on the actual game, apart from the addition of the new scenario. Due to HoI2's hardcoded time limit, I made a separate version for it, where all events are shifted to the past by two years. So in the HoI2 version the war begins in 1946 and ends in 1947. I've also changed some ministers who only become active after 1947.

Here is a screenshot of the scenario selection screen, where you can also see the map and belligerent nations:

Downloads:

Here is the scenario for Doomsday/Armageddon:
View attachment Palestine_1948_DD_Arm_1_1.zip

and here is the same scenario for HoI2, adapted for the earlier timeframe (the war begins in 1946 instead of 1948):
View attachment Palestine_1948_HoI2_1_1.zip

In each case, copy the contents of the zip to [your version of HoI2]\
It should appear as a selectable scenario when you launch the game.

No game files are altered or overwritten at any time. Both zips are about 266kB in size.

Changes in v1.1:

- Renamed some Israeli divisions.
- "Beaufighters" event now activates a CAS squadron for Israel.
- Added one point of IC and some population and resources to Egypt.

Last edited:
I'm using half strength divisions to represent most starting bridages, although I've grouped some into full strength divisions for simplicity's sake. I couldn't find the names of most military units, so apart from a few historical ones I guessed the others. I tried to get army setups as close in numbers and types to the historical ones as possible, which means that Israel starts with a large army, compared to its neighbours, although a bit worse in quality.

Maybe one day I'll attempt this for some other war. But not anytime soon. :)

Elchanan Tannenbaum is one of the generals but I don't think he was even born in 1948 ><
btw here's the names of the brigades..most of them don't exist now
Infantry:
Golani Brigade
Carmeli Brigade
Alexandroni Brigade
kiryati brigade
Givati Brigade
Aziyoni Brigade
Oded Brigade
Armor:
8th Armored Brigade
7th Armored Brigade
Palmach Brigades:
Arel Brigade
Yiftach Brigade
Negev Brigade

Thanks for the info RoSeaY! I've already included the 8th Armored Brigade (as a mechanized brigade, since that's what it more closely resembled, to my knowledge). I'll name the others accordingly (at least the Palmach ones) when I release a new version.

Tannenbaum is an Israeli general in HoI2. He becomes active in 1945. Maybe he's an ancestor of that other Tannenbaum who wasn't born yet at that time. I haven't added any leaders besides the ones already in the leader files, since I didn't want to make changes to them (plus, in only a rare few cases did I know the actual leader of each unit).

I'm not a huge battle scenario fan, but this one looks really well done. Great work!

Thanks!

Downloaded and play till june 1948 -no more time to test it more thoroughly- and I can say this:

I love it!

Great work!

A wonderful little battle scenario. Thanks.

I even get to try out my Israel, Palestine and Syria skins. :D

Ayeshteni

Can you do a step by step thing with screenshots. I don't know the exact file where to put it. Thanks. I've done it in all three's SCENARIO folder.

I add to this request.

It's very simple. Here goes:

Go to where you've saved the zip file (it's circled in red in this screenshot - I'm using Windows Commander but any other file management program, like My Computer, will do). Select it and choose to unpack its contents to your HoI2/DD/Arm folder (as seen with the arrow).

Depending on your program (for instance if you are using Windows Commander), you may be able to drag and drop the contents of the zip directly to their destination.

In this case, as you can see, the zip contains two folders, gfx and scenarios, which correspond to folders of the same name in HoI2. Drag and drop them (or however else you unpack them) to the root HoI2 folder (as shown in the previous picture) and the contents of these folders will go automatically to the corresponding folders in HoI2. Careful, if you drag and drop each folder to the corresponding folder, it will form inside that folder, and you don't want that. Unpack directly to HoI2's root folder.

Last edited:
Fun battlescenario you've made here. Only managed to get a draw as Israel on my first try. :(

The only inaccuracy I saw was in the event that gives Israel a bomber squad. The event says B-17s, but gives you a STR wing. B-17s were tactical bombers, B-25s are the strategics. It would make the event more useful in any case.

Great scenario all-in-all, nice and challenging. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

In the USA's techtree, B-17's are basic strategic bombers and B-25's are advanced tactical bombers. Did Paradox get it wrong?

Israel gets some Beaufighters later on as an event. HoI2 has them classified as CAS, but I've used the event to strengthen the initial B-17 squadron, since it seemed like a simpler approach at the time. Do you think I should make the Beaufighters into a separate CAS squadron, or just turn the B-17 one into tactical and keep them there?

I meant to include an event that allows you military control of the rest of the Arab forces, but I couldn't find the command. Any help would be appreciated.

Egypt is currently tied in IC with Iraq, while every other Arab country (and Israel) has less. Even when I had given more IC to Egypt you could only be given expeditionary forces for limited amounts of time (as happens now). That's actually realistic, since a major problem for the Arabs was that they had no unified command, so it was easy for the Israelis to fend off their attacks and go on the offensive. But it does make it very difficult to win as the Arabs in this battlescenario.

I have won as Egypt during testing, although it required some gamey maneuvering. If you retreat and let the Israelis advance to Port Said, your home army will be activated, and that's 6 extra infantry divisions. If I can find the command for assuming military control in an event, I'll add it, and it will make things simpler.

Awesome Battlescenario. :)

And yes, I do agree that you should make one for the other wars too. :D