• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorties would be awesome, and it would allow you to set up a double strike on an enemy by using the sortie to weaken a besieging army for when your main army arrives to lift the siege.

It's not possible to mod the AI directly, but the bankruptcy events I mentioned will take care of too adventurous AI nations.

Look at what I just found in the ai-section of ROM in a save game:
Code:
        building_prov={
            key="roads"
            id=90
            value=30
        }
It seems like the Roman AI wants to build "roads" in Etruria. So it could be possible to tell the AI directly to not build some buildings in specific provinces.

I suppose so. But I have not tested it. At the moment I wasted my time on another, more fundamental problem: Sometimes the ai_hard_strategy-section is added to a country, sometimes it is not. In my last test game, ROM, CAR, EGY and MAC (+civil war factions) got there ai_hard_strategy, while SEL has no. At least this works very well, Carthage & Rome are at war every 5 - 10 years. :D

I suppose so. But I have not tested it. At the moment I wasted my time on another, more fundamental problem: Sometimes the ai_hard_strategy-section is added to a country, sometimes it is not. In my last test game, ROM, CAR, EGY and MAC (+civil war factions) got there ai_hard_strategy, while SEL has no. At least this works very well, Carthage & Rome are at war every 5 - 10 years. :D

That sounds pretty good, too bad that it doesn't always work though. Either way this will open up a whole new set off possibilities.

Remember that the only civilisation bonus we can play with is a global one, how quickly civilisation spreads in the whole country. I don't think temples and other culture buildings should have a global effect on civilisation. It's possible to provinces an increased civilisation value from these buildings through events, though, but I don't see why really.

Doc, I really like your idea with the sorties. As far as I know, it could be implemented quite easily with something along the lines of not = { units_in_province = 2 } and has_building = ... (different combinations of the buildings that increase the garrison size/fort level).

That sucks. But why dont you see giving a bonus doesnt make sense now. You said soemthing different in the other thread. Or do you think it doesnt make sense doing it via events. I think i have to differ in both cases...but its your mod...

That sounds pretty good, too bad that it doesn't always work though. Either way this will open up a whole new set off possibilities.

Yes, but there some more important problems with the AI at the moment:
- Big AI republics always have a stability around -2.
- Big AI monarchies always have civil wars.

That's weird, I wonder why the engine has to be so totally random when it comes to AI management. Keep on digging, though, and you might find an explanation to the randomness. ;)

That sucks. But why dont you see giving a bonus doesnt make sense now. You said soemthing different in the other thread. Or do you think it doesnt make sense doing it via events. I think i have to differ in both cases...but its your mod...
Why don't I see that a bonus doesn't make sense? :p
I'd say that it makes sense to have events increasing civilisation values as soon as certain buildings have been built, but it's probably quite annoying to play with. Might work with silent character events, though.

Hi Descartes,

Great preview. Some thoughts I had:

1) Would you be able to include a harbour upgrade from the Standard Harbour (Mercantile (or Civil)) to ===> Mercantile (or Civil) Harbour plus Military Harbour ?

The dual harbours of Carthage are an example. Also Piraeus, Alexandria and Sebastos of Herod. Augustus and later emporers also built military harbours.

Suggested modifiers for the upgrade would be reduced piracy and other standard naval modifiers.

2) Hunting reverses and parks/gardens for Splendor (or as upgrades to palace).

I really like the new Garrison and Defences buildings. This will be cool.

1) Would you be able to include a harbour upgrade from the Standard Harbour (Mercantile (or Civil)) to ===> Mercantile (or Civil) Harbour plus Military Harbour ?

The dual harbours of Carthage are an example. Also Piraeus, Alexandria and Sebastos of Herod. Augustus and later emporers also built military harbours.

Suggested modifiers for the upgrade would be reduced piracy and other standard naval modifiers.
Good idea, I've added it to the first post. Check the modifiers and see if they correspond to your idea.

2) Hunting reverses and parks/gardens for Splendor (or as upgrades to palace).
Hunting reverses? :confused:
I've added gardens to the first post, as an upgrade to palace.

I don't know if you noticed, but I accidentally wrote "Cheexsta's river mod" in the first post. It has been corrected. Sorry. :(

Hunting reverses? :confused:
I've added gardens to the first post, as an upgrade to palace.

Hunting reserves, yes I was reading the other day after the assassination of Peridiccas, a new regency was set up by Antipater. The meeting was held at a hunting reserve/park somewhere in Syria. Also in Xenophon's Anabasis, there is mention of Persian hunting grounds.

I don't know if you noticed, but I accidentally wrote "Cheexsta's river mod" in the first post. It has been corrected. Sorry. :(

Thats ok, if not funny, I had been working on it when Cheexsta brought it up on the MMR forum and I thought %$%$ I better get it fininshed before someone else starts it. Also I remember really early on in the forums,someone mentioned it and then there was Rome Total Realism or EB, there were some little river trading building in one of those.

Hunting reserves, yes I was reading the other day after the assassination of Peridiccas, a new regency was set up by Antipater. The meeting was held at a hunting reserve/park somewhere in Syria. Also in Xenophon's Anabasis, there is mention of Persian hunting grounds.
Aah, that's interesting. Sounds like something I could put in as a provincial modifier here and there (I'd prefer that to making it a province improvement, since it's not really "built" as the other ones). Should it give more starting experience?

Thats ok, if not funny, I had been working on it when Cheexsta brought it up on the MMR forum and I thought %$%$ I better get it fininshed before someone else starts it. Also I remember really early on in the forums,someone mentioned it and then there was Rome Total Realism or EB, there were some little river trading building in one of those.
Again, I'm sorry. :(

Aah, that's interesting. Sounds like something I could put in as a provincial modifier here and there (I'd prefer that to making it a province improvement, since it's not really "built" as the other ones). Should it give more starting experience?

Some ideas:
- diplomacy chance increase as you can entertain/scare the crap out of foreign diplomats on your hunting reserve
- it will give the guy with the huntsman title something to do - you could tie it to the huntsman title so that you only get one title for each hunting reserve
- perhaps it could help educate young lords via an event chain
- could it be worked in with the current hunting event chain. A good place to get rid of your enemies and make new friends.

Wow looking good, keep up the good work. :)

I may pick up Rome again because of you :D

My thoughts exactly :D

Want another go at our Caesar/Silvagenius rivalry? :D:D:cool:

When can we expect the next version Descartes?

I've been thinking about how to implement my buildings visually. My idea is to give every building an icon representing their function, rather than one showing how they look from the outside (no one would be able to tell the difference between libraries and academies, or temples and mausoleums).
Here's a list of my own suggestions.

Roads - Wooden sign
Paved roads - Milestone (milarium)
Canals - Spade (?)
Aqueduct - Blue arrow to the right (?)
Sewers - Blue arrow to the right and green/yellow one to the left (?)
Irrigation - Wheat ax (?)
Forum - Coin
Harbour - Anchor
Military harbour - ?
Academy - Blackboard with a chalk
Library - Opened book
Theatre - Two masks
Arena - Gladiator helmet
Public baths - Sponge
Stadium - Trumpet
Lighthouse - Fire
Palace - Wreath (?)
Gardens - Bigger wreath (?)
Temple - Lightning bolt (?)
Mausoleum - Skull (?), Urn (?)
Permanent army camp - Battle standard (?)
Fortified army camp - More fancy-looking battle standard (?)
City guard - Sword (?)
Wooden city walls - Pole (?)
Stone city walls - Stone (?)
Watchtowers - Eye (?)
Fortified borders - ?

I'm not sure about the ones with question marks, so any suggestions are welcome. Feel free to comment on the rest as well. :)