• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So if "prepare" mode is for preparation of future attacks, and you say it will be good for "using the moment of suprise", one question comes to my mind>

Will we be able to give objectives to the AI controled units that are inside a country, we dont have declared war on yet?

For example, will a german player be able in january 1940 to put some of his units under "army group Benelux" command, swich it's HQ to AI control, set it objectives to conquering holland and belgium, even if germany is at peace with them? (so that the AI will say "I need 5 more inf divisions", and move its troops to best locations for making the future attacks, so when then the player declares war, and switch them to "blitz" mode, they will crush it's target in a few days?).

Or will we be limited to give the AI targets in countries that we are at war already?

So if "prepare" mode is for preparation of future attacks, and you say it will be good for "using the moment of suprise", one question comes to my mind>

Will we be able to give objectives to the AI controled units that are inside a country, we dont have declared war on yet?

For example, will a german player be able in january 1940 to put some of his units under "army group Benelux" command, swich it's HQ to AI control, set it objectives to conquering holland and belgium, even if germany is at peace with them? (so that the AI will say "I need 5 more inf divisions", and move its troops to best locations for making the future attacks, so when then the player declares war, and switch them to "blitz" mode, they will crush it's target in a few days?).

Or will we be limited to give the AI targets in countries that we are at war already?
That is one of the better questions that have been asked in this thread. I hadn't thought of that question and will be watching for the answer.

Should work fine.

:eek: Goodbye life.

So I'm guessing the only thing that hasn't changed from HOI2 is the pictures used for the politicians and generals.

No using photoshop we've upgrade them too, they now all have 70s style mullets and polyester shirts.

Leaders traits will mean nothing to AI?
A General Rommel will perform as well as general unknown if under ai control, surely that cannot be right?

Just because you put some unknown general in charage of a unit doesn't mean you're all of a sudden crap using it and the AI is no different.

A General Rommel will perform as well as general unknown if under ai control, surely that cannot be right?

Read the post King responded "no" to.

Will leader abilites and skill levels influence AI behaviour?

Will, lets say, "I-got-tanks" level 6 Rommel act smarter than "I-have-badges" lvl 1 Heimller?

We know leaders' skill levels matter, he just said the AI won't act differently based on who the commander is.

Normal modifiers should still apply so Rommel will perform better than some incompetent ass.

EDIT: It would be interesting to know though whether the AI will be bright enough to send the best commanders to where they are needed most.
Can the Ai switch leaders at need?

After just reading through this thread, I am greatly impressed with the direction of the AI programming. War games, and Paradox games in particular will be the very best use of this type of AI with mutiple tiers of control rather than one single AI doing everything. It should be more realistic, and provide better results in gameplay. Excellent work, guys. :D

Looking backwar athte 6th Army question, I thought of possibly the best (and the intended) way to take personal control of it without screwing up everything in the chain of command and areas of control, etc. We don't want Army Group Central to suddenly see a hole where its southern flank used to be covered by Army Group South by removing it from the chain of command.

Anyway, pause the game, switch OKH theater command to human control, go to Army Group North and Central, change them to AI control and set their objectives. Go to Army Group South and set it to human control. Then go to each individual Army in the Army Group South and set them to AI control and set their objectives. Then go to 6th Army and set it to human control. Give whatever directions you want while paused, then upause and watch the action start, and change 6th Army's orders as you see fit.

When you get tired of it, or are otherwise done with it, set Army Group South to AI control, and set its objectives. Or you could go all the way up to OKH theater HQ and set it to AI control, and set its objectives. Then go beat back D-Day, or conquer the mideast, or whatever.

Personally, AI control sounds like an excellent way for me to finally get into playing the UK. Finally all those widespread units will be adequately controlled while I manage Europe or whatever.

Just to make me better understand the new concept.

1) You assign (or create) an armed forces command structure (e.g. theater command, army group command, army command, corps command, divisional command)

2) You choose the preferred AI settings (if you like), however a human can never control a command that is lower than the highest AI setting you choose in the chain of command hierarchy (e.g. you cannot control a division yourself when you assigned it to corps or higher command controlled by the AI)

3) You will set objectives that the AI will try to achieve, if necessary the AI will ask for more units to achieve its set goals

4) The will AI plan things to the highest form of command you set for the AI

Small question: will the AI set minor objectives for command structures that are under its chain of command (e.g. army group North has its objective set to Leningrad, but issues objectives for lower structure commands to move/attack towards Riga and Smolensk, later assigning them other objectives if they succeed)?

No using photoshop we've upgrade them too, they now all have 70s style mullets and polyester shirts.

Goes along nicely with the stripes in political I guess.
Anything else? Starsky and Hutch as generals?

So even if you order a formation onto the defensive if the enemy ignore it and weaken the front in front of it then it will try at the very least to improve its defensive position.

Hm, one question: In which way the AI will evaluate the situation in "defense" mode? Will they also try to advance, if they already have an extremly strong defensive position, even if there are almost no enemy troops opposing them?

For example: The Army defending the Magnot-line has the order to defend. If there are no German troops at the other side, will they slowly sneak over the Rhein, or stay in their fortresses?

Hm, one question: In which way the AI will evaluate the situation in "defense" mode? Will they also try to advance, if they already have an extremly strong defensive position, even if there are almost no enemy troops opposing them?

For example: The Army defending the Magnot-line has the order to defend. If there are no German troops at the other side, will they slowly sneak over the Rhein, or stay in their fortresses?
I believe they will. In HoI2 the defense AI setting was more or less equal to caution (only attack when you are certain to win). However they will no doubt not completely abandon their positions.

Edit: nevermind, I believe you've answered this in the negative

Regarding AI reassigning 'free divisions' within your organization:

Let's say I have an Army Group with 2 Corps and a Mot division. If the AI decides one of the Corps needs that division, the division will be assigned there. Will the division be left there forever, or will the AI remember that you'd left that division free, and feel free to reassign it to reserves or to the other Corps as needed?

Can you assign a combination of both your own and opponents provinces at the same time?

If yes - if you choose the Defend stance - would the AI try and capture the opponents provinces and then hold them - or is this too complex a scenario for it?? (could see it being useful if you wanted to straighten your line and remove a salient)