+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #27 - 6th of May 2009

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
    Can you assign a combination of both your own and opponents provinces at the same time?

If yes - if you choose the Defend stance - would the AI try and capture the opponents provinces and then hold them - or is this too complex a scenario for it?? (could see it being useful if you wanted to straighten your line and remove a salient)
    yes you can.
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest Hour
    East India Company CollectionFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIIron Cross
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    yes you can.
    Brilliant - getting better and better!!

I am so happy now!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

My first post in a looooong time. Good to be back, and excited about the game. Read all development diaries till date and this is the first time I felt the urge to ask. Apologies I'm not a native speaker. So:

Do you not fear exploits? I mean AI behaviour is after all a set of logical codes. If we as players have the possibility to see how the AI works, we get a clear understanding of when it will attack, how it builds up, what fronts etc. All the factors will be clear to us and the AI basically looses the possibility of suprise. I assume the enemy AI will be based on the same behaviour as our AI. Although it will be an interesting addition (and I understand that it is non compulsory), I feel a fear on the long term for predictability.

Just my thought and worries. Still looking forward to it none-the-less.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffius View Post
    My first post in a looooong time. Good to be back, and excited about the game. Read all development diaries till date and this is the first time I felt the urge to ask. Apologies I'm not a native speaker. So:

Do you not fear exploits? I mean AI behaviour is after all a set of logical codes. If we as players have the possibility to see how the AI works, we get a clear understanding of when it will attack, how it builds up, what fronts etc. All the factors will be clear to us and the AI basically looses the possibility of suprise. I assume the enemy AI will be based on the same behaviour as our AI. Although it will be an interesting addition (and I understand that it is non compulsory), I feel a fear on the long term for predictability.

Just my thought and worries. Still looking forward to it none-the-less.
    Sooner or later the player will always figure out the AI and exploit these weaknesses if he/she/both decides to, so if this system allows the palyer to figure it out sooner then then it is only a question of when not if. However the benefits to us for testing and imrpoving the AI outweight this downside in our opinion.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thank you, fair enough!

I wonder what happens when you give the ai stupid orders like Blitzkrieg as Soviet Union in June 1941. Will it maybe even ignore the order?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Sensemann View Post
    I wonder what happens when you give the ai stupid orders like Blitzkrieg as Soviet Union in June 1941. Will it maybe even ignore the order?
    The key word here is 'orders'.
    “The cheapest form of pride however is national pride. For it betrays in the one thus afflicted the lack of individual qualities of which he could be proud, while he would not otherwise reach for what he shares with so many millions. He who possesses significant personal merits will rather recognise the defects of his own nation, as he has them constantly before his eyes, most clearly. But that poor beggar who has nothing in the world of which he can be proud, latches onto the last means of being proud, the nation to which he belongs to. Thus he recovers and is now in gratitude ready to defend with hands and feet all errors and follies which are its own.”

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Sensemann View Post
    It will do the best it can with the assets you have given it.

Is the Blitzkrieg available for all from the start? If no - then the Germans should have it as doctrine first and the rest 'learn it' from them or develop but 'after'. If not then why is it named Blitzkrieg?

EDIT:
    I know thats a silly question - but IMO the Blitzkrieg was something doctrinal that was started by Germany first.
    ...Can You hear the howling?...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    Is the Blitzkrieg available for all from the start? If no - then the Germans should have it as doctrine first and the rest 'learn it' from them or develop but 'after'. If not then why is it named Blitzkrieg?
    Because we like the name

Because we like the name
    So no impact by doctrines? I would like to see it first developed by Germans... Is it at least moddable? I guess no... its AIs standard option so would cause troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Joppos View Post
    The key word here is 'orders'.
    "Das war ein BEFEHL!" *slams table!*
    Click here if you want to know what FOARP stands for.

"Fighting for your own freedom is also fighting for national freedom, fighting for your own rights is also fighting for your country's rights - because a free and equal country cannot be made by a group of slaves!" - Hu Shi

not a beta for HoI3 Moderator Derek Pullem's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Hoi 2 Beta500k club

So no impact by doctrines? I would like to see it first developed by Germans... Is it at least moddable?
    British blitzkrieg = infantry with brigaded artillery and heavy tanks = snailkrieg

Germany = light tanks, CAS plus doctrines

You want to do the same thing - except Germany does it so much better
    "I NOW INFORM YOU THAT YOU ARE TOO FAR FROM REALITY."

Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, (ex-) Iraqi Minister for Information

Quote Originally Posted by FOARP View Post
    "Das war ein BEFEHL!" *slams table!*
    I cant wait to see an AAR with full AI control of all aspects (production, policy, war) and a player as fuhrer giving only general orders/directives. "Das war ein befehl!!!"

Minister of Peace for Europe Moderator Grosshaus's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Sounds extremely impressive, especially if one can put air units as part of the command structures.
    Pity comes for free, but jealousy must be earned - Lauri Tähkä

Hearts of Iron II beta AAR Guardian of Democracy

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

HoI3 just got a lot more complex and at the same time simpler. I love it.

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

It will do the best it can with the assets you have given it.
    If I have an army along a frontline, and tell the AI to defend a province behind it, will it know how to execute a fighting withdrawal?

EDIT:
    I know thats a silly question - but IMO the Blitzkrieg was something doctrinal that was started by Germany first.
    Actually, the Germans never ever used the term Blitzkrieg and called it something else:

Vernichtungsgedanke

But like most German war terminology, that twisted the tongue of English newsreel speakers so they called it "Bliztkrieg"

And the type of doctrine was unique to the Germans either, because both Liddell Hart and Tukhachevsky had pushed the ideas in their respective nations but it wasn't popular with the upper brass.

I am for a full control. But this feature can be useful in case of offensives occuring in multiple fronts contemporary.

A graphic question:
    in the divisions information window, the type of division/brigade is rappresented using the counters style, i guess. For example the infantry division (i'm always talking about info window, not the map) is rappresented by the rectangle with an X inside.

Will you stay with this choice or you will add a more detailed icons (same as HOI2) ?

thanks and keep up the good work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast