• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I got inspired by your setup, and tried something identical. It was easier than I thought.
I found that the ai hardly built any ships, so I could easily dominate the sea. That ombined with the colonial powers tendency to put way too many men abroad, made the big showdown with France a bit of a walkover. If you want to restart the game, I think you should aim for something more aggresive. . . Like conquering all of Europe ! :)

I started by taking out Poland for the prestige and manpower, then turned to the HRE. I never came around to disband the HRE or hold Rome, but did grap a sizeable part of india. Russia is a monster, and if I hadn't forced them in a few wars, they would have held most of todays China and Turkey.

I experienced two bugs during the game. My first king as a leader, existed long into the next regents timeframe. He only disappeared when I tried to reassign him. Later I got a bug where the game froze a few day after reload. I simply went back in time to find a usable savegame.

And a screenshot.

Last edited:
Update:
* New computer arrived and installed.
* EU3, NA, IN, 3.1, 3.2b2 installed.

HD contents will be migrated tonight. Hopefully I can play tomorrow night!

Porting my save games from the old install to the new one has completely hosed them - they don't load. I'm not going to fight for hours to save a savegame that is only a decade or so old...

...so tonight, we start anew! The Hapsburg Temporal Flux machine has struck, but it will not save them!

Chapter 2 take 2: Prussia rebooted

I thought a bit before restarting, and chose a new strategy. The opening moves are otherwise the same, except I delay picking Scientific Revolution a bit to make room for a DoW on Holstein before they can get allies.
P2_005_DoW-Holstein.gif

Advisors: 3 star compete chance, 2 star reputation, 5 star stability. And for real fun, our opening mission is still to connect the Prussian lands. Because Poland is just a pushover, right?

May 23: Sweden asks for military access instead of the alliance they asked for last time.

June 12: Denmark asks for alliance.

June 21: RM with Bavaria and Saxony. An inheritance never hurt anyone.

June 25: Netherlands requests access. This should help keep them down if they guarantee a target.

July 4: Bavaria offers alliance. Our army has almost reached Holstein.

July 23: Holstein's army dies in Slesvig. 1/3/1 vs 2k inf wasn't quite fair.

September 1: Stability increases to -1.

December 4: Holstein is annexed. This will hurt my rep for now, but I won't have any other good targets early.
P2_006_Holstein-annexed.gif

January 1, 1639: RM with Palatinate.

February 1: Stability increases to -0. Switch ideas from Glorious Arms to Smithian Economics drops us to -3.

July 1: Stab increases to -2.

November 1: Stability increases to -1.

April 1: Stability increases to 0. Naval tech 33 (Heavy Frigate). Idea swapped from Battlefield Commissions to Patron of the Arts.

May 1: Government tech 33 - new idea! We take Scientific Revolution.

March 1: France gets a PU with Mantua. Unddu shudders.

March 21: RM with Austria and France. Back, BWB and BBB! Back!

April 19: RM with Ansbach, Baden, and Wurtenburg. The goal is inheritances and to force potential enemies to eat stabhits.

June 1: Stab is finally back to 0. See why taking stabhits is better early than late?

May 14, 1692: After lots of doing nothing, an opportunity opens up! Mainz leaves the Holy Roman Empire, making it a tasty snack! Mainz is allied with Ansbach and Hesse, and is guaranteed by Switzerland. Some insults are necessary to get relations below 100, though.
P2_007_Mainz-leaves-HRE.gif

Start things off with MA through Brunswick and Hesse.

July 20: War is declared on Mainz. Ansbach wisely bows out, but Hesse foolishly joins in the war while 12k infantry and 10k artillery are sitting in Kassel. Also in the screenshot: Spain and France (two most powerful nations in the world) are slugging it out.
P2_008_DoW-Mainz.gif

October 13: Kassel falls to assault, giving me a base of operations.

November 1: Stability gets back to 0.

December 12: The Hessian army is kicked out of Hessen. 22k vs 8k isn't much of a match. No reason to follow - I don't need to kill off Hesse's army, and they can't get behind me.

March 8: Hessen falls to siege. I had time to send the infantry home to reinforce.

March 25: General von Hessen-Homburg dies in Hessen. Appropriate.

June 8: Venice declares war on Savoy, bringing France in on Venice's side, and Austria on Savoy's.
P2_009_Venice-DoW-Savoy.gif

July 30: Hessians are kicked out of Nassau. Now it's time to hunt them down.

August 24: After kicking the Hessians and the army of Mainz out of Hessen, the Hessian army surrenders in Nassau.
P2_010_Hessen-army-dies.gif

September 9: The Palatinate declares war on Mainz. Nice try. On the bright side, I don't have to hunt down Mainz' armies - the Palatinate and Wurzburg take care of that.
P2_011_Confusion.gif

March 1, 1694: Stability hits 3.

April 7: Mainz surrenders and is annexed.
P2_012_Mainz-annexed.gif

June 11: Sweden offers alliance. To celebrate, we take Kessel and Nassau (16 base tax!) and 275 ducats from Hesse, leaving them to be annexed by the Palatinate.
P2_013_Hesse-loses.gif

June 12: MA is requested from Wurzburg, so our armies can march between Mainz and Kassel.

June 13: Switzerland peaces out for 50 ducats.

June 14: Now that we have a border with France, I give them military access. This will serve as our early warning system.

June 26: With the war finished...we are Prussia!
P2_014_Prussia.gif

King within an Empire?
Means that the end of an Empire is nearing... :eek::p
Which is good for you since you shall be the supreme ancestor of that new Empire-to-be!

Fronzel: That may be hard, given how many are held by major powers. We'll see.

elbasto: If I can ever spare a large enough army that far away...

Teep: Nope.

Enewald: Yeah right. This time, Austria and Poland won the war much quicker, so I couldn't take advantage of them being tied down. I can take Austria if she's distracted, not if she's bearing down on me alone.

Najs: Depends on how far east I go!

naggy said:
Fronzel: That may be hard, given how many are held by major powers.

And that's why it's worth doing! Taking on a difficult goal means you'll always have something to work towards.

Strikes me as a good bonus goal after you form Germany.

Once you form Germany, the game is ridiculously easy, unless your prestige gets destroyed by unclaimed cores!

Maybe in early starts, but I'll still be surrounded by major and medium powers unless I get really, really lucky.