+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Late to the Dance - a Prussian AAR

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries

Late to the Dance - a Prussian AAR

I gave up on a WC with Castille, because it was booooring.

I'll try a shorter timeframe - namely, I will try and unite Germany starting with the ascension of Friedrich the Great on May 10, 1668.

Goals:
    * Form Prussia (I start as Brandenburg, and can form Prussia as soon as I get 20 prestige)
    * Connect the Prussian Lands
    * Form Germany
    * Become Holy Roman Emperor

Bonus goals:
    * Take the Austrian provinces from Austria
    * Humiliate France
    * Make inroads into India

What will not happen:
    * Taking land in America. The cost of doing anything in America outweighs the utility of anything I could gain there against major powers.
    * Any aspirations to naval greatness. Again, cost issues.

200k clubHoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis

Blog Entries
    Im a fan of all Germany Games, so, Subscribed
    Med Stolthet Lünchad i: Varulv XXIII. Varulv XXVI Werewolf LXV Varulv XXIVx2 Varulv XXVI Varulv XXV Werewolf CXXII Werewolf CXXVII Werewolf CXXVIII Werewolf CXXIX Werewolf LXVII Werewolf CXXXI Werwolf CXXXII Werewolf LXVIII

"But if PhilleP keeps being PhilleP, I will have him lynched." - EUROO7.
    Ägare av 216 soos-minnesmärken av andra graden!
    Owner of a Eärendil Seal of Approval.
    I Reward Medallions to those I believe have proven themself Worthy, Epic and Awesome Enough to Receive One.

Europa Universalis 3

good luck

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight

Blog Entries

Chapter 1: A crappy starting position

It does not take a long look at Brandenburg's situation in 1688 to see that a late-game start to try and unify Germany is going to be a hard slog.

Friedrich the Great ascends the throne...

The starting tech is based on the starting year - in this case, Level 33 is 1690. Research is moved to Government for another Idea. Our income...sucks.

Our starting units: Latin Knights in 1688? Might as well be using African Clubmen too. A switch to Gustavian Infantry and Gallop Cavalry is in order. Our starting army size is...anemic. We might be able to take candy from a baby...

Our starting Generals. Our best general dies before we can use him (within a year), because that's what generals do.

Starting ideas. At this stage in the game, there are no military ideas worth having, so of course, Brandenburg has 6. We switch out Glorious Arms (increased prestige from battles) for Smithian Economics. At this size, stab hits are nothing compared to the horror of having a crap economy.

Worse, Brandenburg starts "sliderly challenged".
    Decentralization 4 - in 1688 this is going to HURT.
    Aristocratic 3 - plutocratic is better late game.
    Serfdom 4 - Ow.
    Narrowminded 1 - This is one of those sliders where being in the middle is like laying down on a 16 lane highway.
    Mercantilism 3 - Real useful when you don't own a CoT. Might be better if I can take Lubeck and Danzig.
    Offensive 2 - Ve don't need no steenking forts!
    Land 4 and Quality 3 - Our best slider positions.

A quick slider move to Free Subjects loses us 1 more stability. Starting off at -3 stability - woot!

Buildings: A 1688 start means that all available buildings (except War College/Admiralty) have been built. We have 2 shipyards, and a Naval Equipment Manufactory in Ostpreussen.

Decisions: We're 20 prestige away from forming Prussia. We could eat 5 stability to Accept Cultural Shift to Prussian...kinda silly since forming Prussia does that anyway. Licensing of the Press isn't worth it, but we can pass the Anti-Piracy Act. Pirates suck - we'll legislate them away!

Time to unpause and start the game!
    Last edited by naggy; 04-05-2009 at 18:09.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Looking forward to this! Those sliders are appalling and the NI's not great although I do like National Conscripts.

Apparently I need to buy some more gravel.

My AARs: EU3 England, Golden Horde, France, Iroquois, Castile / EU2 Finland / My Inkwell

"Sunset Invasion isn't ASB - it's just Prawnstar playing CK2" Athalcor
    "If EU3 had exiled prawn-like aliens he'd be the first one to do a WC with them..." aldriq
    "You were prawn under a conquering stAAR!" Arakhor

Prussia is always an interesting choice.

Good luck!

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Good luck! And once you've had everyone responsible for those terrible sliders executed, do let us know which lucky nation is going to be your first target
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

is that viceroys? useful for a european-centered nation

Europa Universalis 3

Quote Originally Posted by sprites View Post
    Its not viecroys its the trade thing, not the shrewd commerce but the other one, i forgot the name. I dont play trading nations so i have no idea

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

I really like yours ARRs, good luck with this one.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

As maybe you can tell, I'm a huge Prussia fan, so -- go for it!

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by sprites View Post
    I think it's national trade policy.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    LegioMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

May the Prussian eagle rise.

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute, I wonder if anyone else has a Brandenburg AAR?...
    "We give the facts. You can't say that we have a slant because of it. I hear that the jury's in on evolution."

"When you divide a country into two sides, one of which cheers the idea of murder and hate, you don't have much choice in which side you're on."

Blog Entries
    PhilleP: Thanks!

Hitmanalex: I'll need it.

PrawnStar: The best NI I had was National Trade Policy. National Conscripts and Grand Army will be the last ones I switch out, since I need manpower badly.

elbasto: If the AI were in charge, they'd be doomed.

Milites: Yeah, that's going to suck. I need at least 50 years before I want to try to even think about tangling with France, especially given the fickleness of AI allies.

m0rbid86: Yup.

aldriq: Poland or Austria, I think, are my natural first targets. I really want to ally with OE.

sprites, Hitmanalex, Unibrow: Unibrow is correct. It's National Trade Policy.

Didaa: Thank you!

Rensslaer: Prussian aggressiveness may be rewarded with being drawn and quartered, but you can't win if you don't try!

Beamed: The Prussian Eagle is surrounded by a lot of hungry dogs. I just had better not roll in the steak sauce first.

Quote Originally Posted by naggy View Post
    I gave up on a WC with Castille, because it was booooring.
    Didn't follow that AAR much, but this one looks promising. I've never tried a game starting after 1453, so I am interested.

(but please, no cavalry only stacks )
    Last edited by Winner; 04-05-2009 at 10:44.
    HoI2, mod 1914 -- Could Schlieffen Plan have led to a German victory in the Great War? Find out in this AAR! -- Completed

"Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate." - Spartan Battle Manual

Warden of the Cinque Ports Teep's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: WarshipsMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

That isn't technically Frederick the great, it is actually Frederick William the Great Elector. Pedantry over, good luck.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

In. Oh, so in.

Very curious to see how things will work out for this late German venture!

Blog Entries
    Winner: A cav only stack in 1688 would be hamburger.

Teep: He'll be the great by the time I'm done! (we hope). But you are correct - too many Friedrichs.

oddman: As am I. Right now, the only neighbors I could take in a straight fight are all in the HRE and protected by Austria.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast