• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I also thought the hiring price was a modifier of the normal price too, except with a much higher increase in cost as you purchase more mercenaries. And it might be more profitable because of that because it increases at a far higher rate in terms of increase of price in match with force-limits.
Does anyone know what determines the base price of mercenaries or is it a common pool that the cost is shared with everyone?
There is number of problems with mercenaries. To start with, I think there is only limited number available at any given time, so even if you set up some profitable scheme you will be able to make only so much profit, because amount of capital you could put in would be limited. In addition your only instant cost control is Grand Army (which increases the limit by 33%) and that only allows you 1:2 ratio at best. And then when you cancel mercenary contract you only get 25% back.

So...
Idea is to take press gangs, start building ships, change NI, get money back, get stab to max, rinse and repeat...

Yeah, this should definitely be banned for MP. Perfect strat to double your money, in case of ottomans - actualy multiply by a great number...

So...
Idea is to take press gangs, start building ships, change NI, get money back, get stab to max, rinse and repeat...

Yeah, this should definitely be banned for MP. Perfect strat to double your money, in case of ottomans - actualy multiply by a great number...

You don't get all the money back when you stop recruiting it - only some of it. Also, this method involves getting stab costs back a lot. Also, for the Ottomans, unless they have a modifier that increases ship costs, won't this method be worse?

It's consistent with other rates - trade and tax efficiency can also go over 100%. And PI recently capped trade efficiency at 200%, so presumably they are aware of it and considered it WAD. It's also interesting that per province tech exchange rate increment is 2.5% - exactly the same as tech cost increase from the extra province (so if you actually own provinces with manufactories your tech cost in ducats will never go down as you increase tech rate)
I'm reasonably confident they aren't aware of it.

--

Your faster strategy was the same as King's, although he didn't optimize it nearly as much (in particular, he waited to build and destroy level 5 naval buildings). Luckily it should be fairly obvious in MP, but I reported it (privately) a few days ago just to be sure.

If the Ottomans, or anyone else, have some modifier that they cannot apply and remove later that reduces the cost of ships, this is bad, because (x/2) increases as x increases - in other words, the larger I can make my ship costs, the greater the monetary gain I will get from this press gangs method (if it worked as advertised), in absolute terms, because half of a bigger number is bigger than half of a smaller number.

I suppose my original statement was too strong, and it should be - if this method worked, it wouldn't be more efficient for the ottomans, or the hansa, or whoever gets static ship cost modifers, to do this.

In which case you order more ships to be built.

The only two variables really relevant to this approach is the amount of money you have that will be multiplied by this strategy (based on loansize in 1399 or 1400) and the return on investment, based on how much you can increase (and decrease afterwards) the cost of shipbuilding.

Kind regards,

Andy

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but you explain step-by-step how this is done? From my understanding, it involves manipulating naval forcelimits and ship costs so that the refund you get from ship construction exceeds the construction cost. Then that money is funneled into tech.

I'm interested in trying this, but the explanations thus far have been a little unclear.

Press Gang reduces naval cost by 50%
Grand Navy increases Naval force limit by 100%
Going above your naval force limit increases cost by up to w/e % you're over.

You'd first pick up Press Gang so the ship costs are 50%.
Get 5 loans so you get enough money up front, and spend them all on carrack.

After you cede your provinces, your forcelimit will drop to one, and since you already have 17 ships, your cost will be x17.
With 50% build queue refund, you'd sell back a couple ships, get stab back to 0, drop Press Gang, refund the rests of the ships. Making HUGE profit.

Then you switch your NI to Grand Navy, so your forcelimit is now 3, making your cost ~x6.
Spend them all on carracks again, drop GN, cost goes back to x17, with refund money you'd still be getting ~x8.5 vs ~x6, there's your profit for stab cost.

Ofc it's a little more complicated than that due to the cost scaling of the queue system, but you get the gist of it.

Once you're gov 9, the process is further hastened by Grand Navy + Press Gang, so you'd spend your earnings on gov 9 first.

It's doable, but just REALLY time consuming and mouse damaging.

You'd probably have to spend hours of nonstop clicking, so get a macro/program that does the left clicks for you.
In fact, it's so time consuming that it's difficult for your MP friends to not notice it.

The difficult part of this strategy is the fund and the fleet so your first transaction can bring a sizable return for the future abuse.

Last edited:
Something i don't quite get.

Did you really spend all those hours clicking the invest 200 ducats button?
I used xdotool instead as an input device (instead of mouse). But performance of that feature in EU3 is pretty poor even if you have high performance input device. I had to wait for minutes. And it's actually a bit more complicated to script because there's a limit on treasury and on the contract sale price

I'm reasonably confident they aren't aware of it.
It would seem unlikely that the current logic happened accidentally (I imagine it would be hard to get the code that adds 100 research points that wrong :) )

Your faster strategy was the same as King's, although he didn't optimize it nearly as much (in particular, he waited to build and destroy level 5 naval buildings). Luckily it should be fairly obvious in MP, but I reported it (privately) a few days ago just to be sure.
I am not sure it would be obvious unless the player goes overboard with it. Small boosts from this technique could be hard to spot.

Unification of Netherlands ( July 6th, 1403 )

I think I may have a record here for the Unification of the Netherlands
I did not know what to do, so I posted it here.
Netherlands.jpg