• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How in hell did you manage to do that in little under 15 years??? :)

Malacca lacks knowledge of West Java and as far as I understood it, you require one full colony to get "natural spread" to the two westermost provinces. Furthermore, I consider it quite a feat to have gained the necessary number of colonists by 1414. I have personally never gained gov-tech 4 (for 'Colonial Venture') as a Malay country before 1412, but I see you have some loans, so maybe you turbo-financed an earlier tech-progression? Would be interesting to know how my record was beaten, considering I didn't think you could scale it back more than perhaps 2 years (without playing Majipahit). One learns new things everyday.
Probably a lot of saving+reloading for the spread of discoveries. Malacca gets a slight boost to colonist income from their CoT, which helps even if the NI comes late.

Probably a lot of saving+reloading for the spread of discoveries. Malacca gets a slight boost to colonist income from their CoT, which helps even if the NI comes late.

Pewt, since you have a firm grasp on game mechanics: Can an incomplete colony (for example with 200 population) reveal an adjacent province? I've only been able to "reload-reveal" land after the colony became a city, but perhaps that was just incredible bad luck on my part?

Pewt, since you have a firm grasp on game mechanics: Can an incomplete colony (for example with 200 population) reveal an adjacent province? I've only been able to "reload-reveal" land after the colony became a city, but perhaps that was just incredible bad luck on my part?
I haven't looked at the event mechanics, but I can say with confidence that it isn't possible to get one, let alone four, colonies completed in that region by that date as that country, so yes. And I doubt it was bad luck on your part so much as a lot of reloading on alexti's; it usually takes me a few years between that firing, whereas alexti was clearly getting it once per year.

edit: Disregard, GT4 quicker than expected so getting a full province is easy.

Last edited:
There is a reliable strategy that produces Malaya in about 15 years. With Malacca you can populate 2 CoT which together with some Gov advisor should produce Gov 4 in 1406 (if you don't expand). Then you immediately grab Mataram (this can be preset), park your army there and move NF there. As soon as the province with 3 unknown adjacencies is discovered colonize it. With 5 colonists it should be completed towards the end of 1411, then you move army there and wait for colonists and discoveries. Expected time is around 3 years. There are few optimizations you can do. I've moved slider towards free subjects to save tech cost and vassalized nearby buddhists (doesn't really help much, but I thought extra ships and armies might be useful). I got Gov 2 advisor in 1400 and upgraded him to Gov 4 as soon as I could. If you get lucky with initial advisor it can help a bit. I actually didn't get Mataram immediately (because Brunei was beating up Aceh and I had to help them). It's important to know that you don't need to complete 4 colonies to form Malaya - just start them, so you only need to rush the one with 3 adjacencies. I am not totally sure if the size of the army influences the speed of discovery, but just in case I was parking all my forces there.

The game was actually funny in a way because I know I used to form Malaya (pre 5.2 patch) in 1415-1416, so I thought I could set a good record by optimizing the strategy, but in the end it was only marginally faster.

Italy unification 01 Nov 1410
Italy-14101101.jpeg

There is a reliable strategy that produces Malaya in about 15 years. With Malacca you can populate 2 CoT which together with some Gov advisor should produce Gov 4 in 1406 (if you don't expand). Then you immediately grab Mataram (this can be preset), park your army there and move NF there. As soon as the province with 3 unknown adjacencies is discovered colonize it. With 5 colonists it should be completed towards the end of 1411, then you move army there and wait for colonists and discoveries. Expected time is around 3 years. There are few optimizations you can do. I've moved slider towards free subjects to save tech cost and vassalized nearby buddhists (doesn't really help much, but I thought extra ships and armies might be useful). I got Gov 2 advisor in 1400 and upgraded him to Gov 4 as soon as I could. If you get lucky with initial advisor it can help a bit. I actually didn't get Mataram immediately (because Brunei was beating up Aceh and I had to help them). It's important to know that you don't need to complete 4 colonies to form Malaya - just start them, so you only need to rush the one with 3 adjacencies. I am not totally sure if the size of the army influences the speed of discovery, but just in case I was parking all my forces there.

The game was actually funny in a way because I know I used to form Malaya (pre 5.2 patch) in 1415-1416, so I thought I could set a good record by optimizing the strategy, but in the end it was only marginally faster.

Yeah, that was exactly the same strategy as I've used, but with much faster gov-tech progression. Well, interesting on that detail. Thank you. :)

Don't you need cores for italy?I find it quite hard to get cores on these regions since they can only be done by missions and annexing vassals with missions again this fast.

PU, i think. only problem is you cannot PU rome, but it is not impossible to gain core on rome. I hope alexti will tell us how he got there.

EDIT: Imo he played as urbino, which would explain how he got core on rome so easily.

PU, i think. only problem is you cannot PU rome, but it is not impossible to gain core on rome. I hope alexti will tell us how he got there.

EDIT: Imo he played as urbino, which would explain how he got core on rome so easily.
I'd guess Tuscany; fairly rich and they can easily get claims several times very early on. There are a few ways I can think of to get a core on Lombardia; PU is the easiest but I don't think it's the fastest.

Yeah, that was exactly the same strategy as I've used, but with much faster gov-tech progression. Well, interesting on that detail. Thank you. :)
Were you playing as Malacca too? I don't see how much difference you can get in tech speed. Free subject moves helps a little bit, vassals help a bit, advisor plan I used is probably close to optimal (unless you get lucky with the random advisor). But altogether it probably saves only a year or so. I was thinking about losing 3 provinces to someone in 1404 which could potentially move schedule couple of years ahead, but it's difficult to get all necessary wars done in time.

I think tuscany could be done faster than that with a lucky claims or two, but yeah, italian ambition makes sense. Didn't notice the regiment names; good eye.
It can be done much quicker with Castille too, I have made number of suboptimal things which I haven't recognized until later. Perhaps something like 1408 is doable reliably. With some luck, perhaps 1405.

I am not sure about other plans. How can you get a core on Rome (even assuming that you got lucky enough to get other cores)? The only thing I can think of is PU and inherit everybody while annexing Papal States and selling Rome to one of the monarchies. But this plan has pretty low chance of succeeding within first 10 years.