Armageddon 1.3 Beta 2 (24/04/2009) is now up (general comments/questions only please)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes it works I just tested it by making Zhukov dormant, intentionally including him in the event, manually firing the event and waking him and he's there!
So what other high profile Soviet generals should be thus saved from the purge? Certainly Rossokovsky, Konev and anybody who historically developed doctrines for them I think.

While I don't have a problem with a specific instance of the game being edited to protect Russian generals, I like how the 'default' version incorporates an element of randomness. Stalin's purges weren't a precisely directly program, there were significant elements on randomness. I like the fact that this is represented in the game.

If any generals should be protected then I'd favour it be the first cavalary army men (Timoshenko, Budenny etc).

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure (I did the wakeleader fix many months ago), so better test it.

Yes it works I just tested it by making Zhukov dormant, intentionally including him in the event, manually firing the event and waking him and he's there!
So what other high profile Soviet generals should be thus saved from the purge? Certainly Rossokovsky, Konev and anybody who historically developed doctrines for them I think.

While I don't have a problem with a specific instance of the game being edited to protect Russian generals, I like how the 'default' version incorporates an element of randomness. Stalin's purges weren't a precisely directly program, there were significant elements on randomness. I like the fact that this is represented in the game.

If any generals should be protected then I'd favour it be the first cavalary army men (Timoshenko, Budenny etc).

This is not going to be changed. It has been this way since the first version of HOI2.

Sorry.

Hi,

Noted the following in the change log:

"- Fixed an issue with unit modifiers loaded from INC files at scenario start (used in some mods)"

What did you fix here? We had previously been using commands such as this:

seaattack = 37

Unfortunately it didn't seem to work at all. Will this now work? Any details would be appreciated. thanks!

mm

I personally just changed the start dates in my game for some of the important guys to 39 - so after the purges, but before the winter war. Of course that's no solution for people who want early wars, but I myself play mostly historical up to 41, so it works for me.

The purge should be randomized. Kinda like the historical purges.

If you really pressed me, I'd say only those who were clearly politically favoured by Stalin: Buddeny, Voroshilov, Timoshenko and then Shaposhnikov. The latter basically built Stavka and laid the basis for the Soviet military organization, which Vassilevski and Zhukov built upon. He really is never given enough credit.

Fortunately for the Soviet Union, Shaposhnikov had a fine military mind and high administrative skills. He combined these talents with his position in Stalin's confidence to rebuild the Red Army leadership after the purges. Mozg Armii was for decades required reading for every Soviet officer. In 1939 Stalin accepted Shaposhnikov's plan for a rapid build up of the Red Army's strength. Although the plan was not completed before the German invasion of June 1941, it was sufficiently advanced to save the Soviet Union from complete disaster.

Mozg Armii -- "The Brain of the Army"

Shaposhnikov was also an important political balance in tumultuous Stavka during the desperate days of 1941. The others: roll of the dice.

You could, I guess, reprieve Meretskov (purged in 40) and Rokossovsky, since they were reprieved historically.

Last edited:
I accept the fact that coreymas has made a decision, and in reality I was less interested in an official event than in getting responses for my own modding efforts. So I'll save the 4 mentioned by Cueball (one of whom was a doctrine guy, another of whom became HOS) plus anyone else who develops doctrine, like Kuznetsov, Novikov, etc. The reason for all the wakeleader stuff is the earlier observation of a user who had Rossokovsky, who starts in 1940, get purged--evidence that a late start does not protect you from the purge. The only way to protect from the purge is to make the leader dormant in 36 and wake him in the purge.

I accept the fact that coreymas has made a decision, and in reality I was less interested in an official event than in getting responses for my own modding efforts. So I'll save the 4 mentioned by Cueball (one of whom was a doctrine guy, another of whom became HOS) plus anyone else who develops doctrine, like Kuznetsov, Novikov, etc. The reason for all the wakeleader stuff is the earlier observation of a user who had Rossokovsky, who starts in 1940, get purged--evidence that a late start does not protect you from the purge. The only way to protect from the purge is to make the leader dormant in 36 and wake him in the purge.

Yes. This was what I needed to know. I'd like to keep one or two of the leaders mentioned above (Zhukov, Vassilevsky, Konev and Rokossovsky) and use reload if I lost 3 or 4 of them (yes, cheating). Before this patch I kept them as leaders in one place, normally Leningrad, so that I could quickly see after the purge who has survived. Now I have to go through the whole list.

Should probably rename the new AI files for IND, the DFR and RSI in the patch to just IND.ai, DFR.ai and RSI.ai, then.

Should probably rename est_1936.ai to just est.ai as well

Should probably rename est_1936.ai to just est.ai as well
I would suggest renaming ALL of the AIs where there is only a 1936 and 1945 (added in Doomsday for the Doomsday Scenario) file. If you really think about it, most (if not all) of the 1945 AIs are designed for the 1945 (Doomsday) scenario and aren't really meant for an ongoing 1936 campaign.

The way I set it up in EIR is that Buddeny and Voroshilov are dismissed from command decisions after the Winter War -- they get "desk jobs" at the Kremlin so Voroshilov stays as a minister. This leaves an opening for other commanders to achieve FM status through auto-promote.

I would suggest renaming ALL of the AIs where there is only a 1936 and 1945 (added in Doomsday for the Doomsday Scenario) file. If you really think about it, most (if not all) of the 1945 AIs are designed for the 1945 (Doomsday) scenario and aren't really meant for an ongoing 1936 campaign.

An extremely good point.

Just to clarify about the Lithuanian file: that country only has a 1936 file. I think the number should dropped in case LIT is liberated after 1946 (e.g., during WWIII).

Last edited:
I thought ghost fleets were a thing of the past. So, what are those below? I don't know if this happened in beta 1 to the AI, but I never had any empty fleets. I don't have a screenie, but in this beta 2 game, Germany (me, human player) also saw some empty fleets.

A couple of ghosts fleets are used by the exe for some purpose. I am not sure what, but I think it has something to do with ai production. They were only a problem when the system was producing hundreds of them for each naval power. In other words its working as designed if you see two.

Indeed, the AI uses empty fleets to shift naval brigades and other stuff around. 1-2 empty fleets are normal, and not a problem.

I'm constantly getting hang-ups where everything just freezes, including the sound ... which then goes on to play in an endless loop (each iteration about a second long). After a while I see a Microsoft Visual C++ Just In Time Debugging popup, but I can't go to the debugger because the whole system has become irresponsive. Never had that before the Beta. :(

The only thing that works is Alt+Ctrl+Del and then kill HOI2 in the Task Manager.

Don't know if this has any relevance but are you using Vista or XP?

Dunno if that's in the focus of the patch team, but there are some older problems which I think deserve to be corrected:

- As Jap, I sometimes inherit some ships plus their commanding admiral from SIA during the event chain that makes Siam a puppet of Jap at the beginning of the pacific war

- Air units can get wiped out when territory changes to allies or puppets (lost some planes when Jap set up a NatChi puppet, had to edit them back in from the previous save)