+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Tide has Turned vs. High Tide

Darkest HourDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

The Tide has Turned vs. High Tide

I'm not a huge fan of the title "The Tide has Turned" for the 1943 scenario. I would much rather have the title "High Tide." I'm sure I'm going to have a few people tell me that I am picky and I can't always get what I want but I just want to see what other people have to say about the different title. I just think "High Tide" it sounds a little more serious and epic than the tide has turned. Also, the battle of Stalingrad and Midway were knows as the high tide of Germany and Japan respectively.

Edit: Changed 1942 to 1943, my mistake
    Last edited by Bombinator; 21-04-2009 at 00:07.

Hearts of Iron III

Blog Entries
    Why not use a part of the famous Churchill-quote and call it "End of the beginning" ?
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." /Einstein

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. " /Churchill

Darkest HourDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
    Why not use a part of the famous Churchill-quote and call it "End of the beginning" ?
    That would also be good. I'm pretty much saying anything would be better than "The Tide has Turned"

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIRome GoldSword of the Stars

LOL I think this in incredibly picky but if you want opinions I like the Churchill "end of the beginning" more than High Tide... that just sounds weird when it is not in a full sentence. The Tide has Turned is a common phrase in WW2 history and encapsulates the feeling of that start date.
    "I may be dangerous," he said, "but I am not wicked. No, I am not wicked." - Henry James, The American

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."

Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."

attributed to D. Eisenhower, close to Scipio Africanus remarks after defeating Hannibal on Carthage's employment of mercenary armies.

"End of the Beginning" is definitely the best.

Quote Originally Posted by wyrm View Post
    why not use a part of the famous churchill-quote and call it "end of the beginning" ?
    +1

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

I'm going out on the limb here and say that I prefer "The tide has turned". It's more fitting given what has happened IMO.
    I have a geeky math cookie And I'm proud of it!

A missile might hit someone, taxation kills everybody!

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by wiguy View Post
    I'm going out on the limb here and say that I prefer "The tide has turned". It's more fitting given what has happened IMO.
    Its not that the title doesn't accurately describe what was going on at that time. Its that it doesn't have that epic feeling that titles such as "The Road to War", "The Gathering Storm", and "Götterdämmerung" have.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae Victis

Personally, when I read what that scenario was called, the very first thing that popped into my mind was, "High Water Mark" and Gettysburg tbh....

Hearts of Iron III

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombinator View Post
    Its not that the title doesn't accurately describe what was going on at that time. Its that it doesn't have that epic feeling that titles such as "The Road to War", "The Gathering Storm", and "Götterdämmerung" have.
    Guess it could always be rephrased into a more Gandalfish style with "The turn of the tide"
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." /Einstein

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. " /Churchill

What's with the water fetish? Why not just "Turning Point"?

Other ideas:
    -Reversal of Fortune(s)
    -Turning Tides
    -Counterattack (cheesy/inaccurate?)

In any case, "The End of the Beginning" is a much better choice than the one now. 2nd Alamein (1942) was the subject of the quote and it was quite obviously a turning point, or turn of the tide for the Commonwealth.

Hearts of Iron III

I could vote for Churchill's phrase, but that is always the case, eh?

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    What 1942 scenario?

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Johan, i think they're referring to the 1943 scenario.

just everyone associates "Stalingrad" with "1942"

Lt. General
    EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

I always love the Churchill quotes.
    So I too think that "The End of the Beginning" is perfect.
    ¡Ay, caramba!
    I'm going down to the Great river of Mississippi!!!!!

Deus VultEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by mandead View Post
    Year In Which Many Died, But Not The Years Prior, And Not Those After

It's the end of the beginning of the end of the beginning.

The bane of all farmers SeedSnatcher's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club

Seeing as how there are no more fancy scenario plates (A pity, because it made mod scenarios really stand apart or blend in), it'd be rather easy to mod this.

Star Swirl the Bearded Baneslave's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by SeedSnatcher View Post
    Seeing as how there are no more fancy scenario plates (A pity, because it made mod scenarios really stand apart or blend in), it'd be rather easy to mod this.
    (Agreed) and agreed.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

*Votes for "The End of the Beginning"*
    Last edited by Black Lotus; 20-04-2009 at 16:41.
    "Politics. As exciting as war. Definitely as dangerous... Though in war, you can only get killed once. In politics it can happen over and over."

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Victoria 2

How about. . .

Revenge of the Allies!

(sorry couldn't resist!)
    -----------------------------
    Feedback from the environment is essential to rapid evolution.

Sudden, violent death is a highly effective and time-proven form of negative feedback.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast