• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds great Kim!

Another question for P-dox - we going to get a nice ship badge to add to my ever growing army of badges... :p

I guess so :)

LOL, sometimes I think things are taken so very seriously when it comes to sea based games - people mad a waypoints? Seriously? There has to be some abstraction in any game.

Yes, serious to a point that it looses the fun factor. The reason for some people asking about ship physics and the ship controls is most have had experience in a lot of naval games. Some bad, some good.

For me the standard is AoS2, which was a great game full of bugs. But still one of the best age of sail games around, without becomming a sail simulator. The recent experience with the waypoint and physcis system of E:TW leaves mucht to be desired. Actually its a drama. For Paradox a chance to jump into the gab, again without becomming a simulator. I like Kim's statement that some abtractcy is needed.

Just take an example at another great (third party) Paradox game: Mount & Blade. Its not a simulator but it just has the right feel to everything when it comes to movement and fighting. Much depends on the player skill. You got to go through a learning curve. Some are good at horses, some at ground fight, some with long distance weapons. You can win with all. By the way, great to hear that that game is going multiplayer too.

In multiplayer balance is a very important key element. If you go too far, everybody will end up in 1st rates. If you go too complex, you will hardly get a game.
As Kim stated realistically, no game can do without a form a abstractcy.

We have recently added three modes dubbed arcade, normal and simulator. . . . In simulator mode it can become almost impossible for single ship to reach certain point on the world as side wind can push the ship so strongly.

Why would a single ship have a problem?
Caution Grognard content follows read at your own risk.:p

Wind affects all ships the same. The type of rig would affect how close to the wind you could sail. Fore & Aft rigged ships such as the Schooners, Cutters and Xebecs could sail with in 50 degrees off the wind. Square Rigged ships could sail, at best, about 60 degrees off the wind. Usually because the yards could not braced fully fore & aft because it would hit the rigging. Sailing much closer to the wind the leeway cancels upwind movement.
Another question. In Simulator mode do we get advanced sail controls?

I only had a little time the other day, so I did not get a chance to read all the responses. Hence the followup questions.

Greg.

i have a few questions regarding pirate acts against the other companies
if i attack, loot and then sink, a ship from another company will they always know i did it?
or will it be a chance to get "caught" when doing things like that?
personally i would find it a bit annoying, if i sink a ship in the east indies, and the mother company in amsterdam instantly knows and retaliates

can u capture prize ships in combat?

sorry if any of this has been answered elsewhere, no sound on my pc atm so cant watch the videos:)

Awsome :D

What I saw in the interview with Kim was exactly what I was looking for about the ship controls, I see that you control multiple ships with point to point, and individual direct commands with keyboard controls. That's really nice.:D

I'm surprised to hear people have a problem with the waypoint system in the game. How do you think real ships at sea navigate? they use way points.
Today we think of waypoints being a position on your GPS or a game navigation system, but the concept has been used for navigation at sea for hundreds of years.
When a waypoint is reached a course alteration is made for the next waypoint.

In sailing mode (open sea non world map), how far can you sail?

This would be what we call Tactical Level. You can sail as far as you like, there are no boundaries like invisible barriers or lines you cannot cross. This also true for our coastal levels.

If you are trying to flee the battle, you can activate flee-icon. This way your ship will get away if enemies have not shot at it for some time. If it is the AI ship that is trying to flee, the same thing goes the other way around, with the exception that player can decide if she wishes to continue the pursuit.

Why would a single ship have a problem?

Wind affects all ships the same. The type of rig would affect how close to the wind you could sail... ...Square Rigged ships could sail, at best, about 60 degrees off the wind.
Another question. In Simulator mode do we get advanced sail controls?
Greg.

I was too vague: I was talking about the incident ships can often have in simulator mode and in strong wind: wind force pushes them sideways so the ship cannot reach a point even very near it, without taking a looooong detour.

Even square rigged ships had other kind of sails as well. Major thing, maybe evenmore than sails, affecting how much wind affectgs ship's sideways movement, is also the shape of ship's hull. U-shaped flat bottom hull would suffer from this much more than V-shaped hull with deep draught, as there would be more stuff below the water.

We do have a guy on our staff who is curator of maritime history and archeology plus secretary of the Finnish maritime historical association. So we do take things into account :) but as mentioned in some previous posts, there has to be abstractions to be made (if the aim is not to make as accurate simulation as possible).

i have a few questions regarding pirate acts against the other companies
if i attack, loot and then sink, a ship from another company will they always know i did it?
or will it be a chance to get "caught" when doing things like that?
personally i would find it a bit annoying, if i sink a ship in the east indies, and the mother company in amsterdam instantly knows and retaliates

can u capture prize ships in combat?

Basically, yes, they will know about it. I know that they did not have mobile phones back then :) We reasoned this so that, as we do not offer a way to execute surviving enemy sailors, that word gets around. And someone might have seen you do it. Or any of the multiple other possibilities.

To add some randomness into this, mainly for the reasons you stated, enemy companies do not react always the same. Sometimes single attack could trigger a war, sometimes you can get away with multiple attacks.

You can take any enemy ship that did not escape or went to the bottom of the sea. You do have to have enough crew to man all the ships however. Example: Your frigate managed to force already damaged enemy ship-of-the-line to surrender, but you lost a lot of crew. Depending on the number of your remaining crew you might be able to 1) add the SOTL to your fleet 2) take the SOTL but have to leave your frigate behind 3) be only able to keep your frigate.

I'm surprised to hear people have a problem with the waypoint system in the game. How do you think real ships at sea navigate? they use way points.
Today we think of waypoints being a position on your GPS or a game navigation system, but the concept has been used for navigation at sea for hundreds of years.
When a waypoint is reached a course alteration is made for the next waypoint.

I dont think many have too much a problem with the waypoint system. Kim already gave an answer to the worries about a system where ships would stop at the end of the waypoint (ETW style).

A waypoint system is quite logical when you have to command multiple ships.

On the other hand. Especially if you like to control one ship, you like to have the feeling to be at the helm. Being at the helm gives you the freedom of how you want to go to you desired location (waypoint). You would get a better feel to be in control of your ship, and likely get that sense of being on sail ship. For instance if you like the cat and mouse manouvring with frigates or sloops at close distance it could be much better if you were at the helm.
A waypoint system will calculate this for you. It would become a little more abstract.

Anyway. It is just a matter of point of view. Both systems could work very well. And Kim, happely already made clear, that the waypoint system would not lead to weird behavior like ships that suddenly stop at a waypoint.

We do have a guy on our staff who is curator of maritime history and archeology plus secretary of the Finnish maritime historical association. So we do take things into account :) but as mentioned in some previous posts, there has to be abstractions to be made (if the aim is not to make as accurate simulation as possible).

Wow, now I am really getting excited. Having access to a resource of that quality could greatly enhance the game.

Greg.

Basically, yes, they will know about it. I know that they did not have mobile phones back then :) We reasoned this so that, as we do not offer a way to execute surviving enemy sailors, that word gets around. And someone might have seen you do it. Or any of the multiple other possibilities.

To add some randomness into this, mainly for the reasons you stated, enemy companies do not react always the same. Sometimes single attack could trigger a war, sometimes you can get away with multiple attacks.

You can take any enemy ship that did not escape or went to the bottom of the sea. You do have to have enough crew to man all the ships however. Example: Your frigate managed to force already damaged enemy ship-of-the-line to surrender, but you lost a lot of crew. Depending on the number of your remaining crew you might be able to 1) add the SOTL to your fleet 2) take the SOTL but have to leave your frigate behind 3) be only able to keep your frigate.

I too have had a thing about this, sinking a ship in the middle of "nowhere" and all of a sudden in that instance the country know about it and your a marked man.

I can understand your point about word getting around if I sink a ship, but my point about it would be there should be a time delay before War kicks in.

Say two or three weeks, I mean if I sink a Dutch ship one day, and then 2 or 3 days later sailing along I pass near a couple of Dutch men'o war they should not attack.

I think there should be a delay between sinking a ship and the Company/Country knowing about it and sending out a go sink him message to there fleet/ports.

Don't know about writing games, would it be hard to put in a delay trigger.

Don't know about writing games, would it be hard to put in a delay trigger.

Most likely no and there is a chance that its already in the game. Like if you sinked ships in the indian ocean it would some time until they hear about it, but if you sink the ships near europe they would know almost immidiatly.

Most likely no and there is a chance that its already in the game. Like if you sinked ships in the indian ocean it would some time until they hear about it, but if you sink the ships near europe they would know almost immidiatly.
While a very valid point - news took time to travel in this era - surely a 'delay' of some sort becomes a handicap that only applies to the AI? The player can see everything as it happens, and thus react instantly.

While a very valid point - news took time to travel in this era - surely a 'delay' of some sort becomes a handicap that only applies to the AI? The player can see everything as it happens, and thus react instantly.

Exactly, good point. In addition, AI attacking you immediately you have attacked one of its fleets seldom happens as there is a lot of room on the strategic level. Naturally, if two fleets of the same AI-company are close together and you attack one of them, the other one might attack right back. Then again, that would be reasonable.

Using Kim's demo as a reference, I noticed it took only minutes to sail from India to Africa. In real time that would trip would likely take a couple weeks. My take on the delay is that tactical battles happen at near real time, but strategic movement is extremely accelerated. Therefore a short time to the user is likely several weeks in game time. That said, I would hazard to say it would be more than fair that a user get at most 2-3 minutes of game play before a retaliatory strike that occur from an un-witnessed act.

I noticed also there was a large red circle on the map and smaller high-lighted area around the ship on the strategic map. What does these indicators mean?

Greg.

We have recently added three modes dubbed arcade, normal and simulator. The mode affects certain aspects like ship turning arcs and how strongly wind affects the ship. In simulator mode it can become almost impossible for single ship to reach certain point on the world as side wind can push the ship so strongly.

This is great news!!!!

question: in simulator mode, is the wind model also going to work in the strategical level? (I am assuming it will work in the tactical map),

if so, is it going to be modeled as per earth's prevailing wind system/ monsoon?

thanks

It does not affect strategic level, nor there is wind patterns or ocean currents. We thought of it a lot, but felt that it would not necessarily add positively to the gameplay. Also, as game speed is roughly 1 year per 10 min real time as a default (~1 yr/2,5 min with highest acceleration), visual reprensentations could have appeared as too fast.