• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
for some weird reason people at our forums get upset with "random starts" and "non-historical behaviour"

and i think options like "random barbarian hordes" does not really fit ww2.

Now I am begining to doubt the wisdom of this choice, so few World War II games model the effect of Barbarian hordes accurately. We could be the first.

And alot of other "complex" games like Civ4 that have several fullscreens full off options you can tweak make this seem very very thin.

To be honest, i really dont like setting the options for two hours before actually starting the game. Imho, the options of HoI3 are just right as you have more choices than in HoI2 without modding files but can do the setup pretty fast.

To be honest, i really dont like setting the options for two hours before actually starting the game. Imho, the options of HoI3 are just right as you have more choices than in HoI2 without modding files but can do the setup pretty fast.
Isn't that why there is a standard default setting? Default or not changing any complex options would be equal to not changing anything in the "misc.txt" under db before starting up your HoI2 game.

Now I am begining to doubt the wisdom of this choice, so few World War II games model the effect of Barbarian hordes accurately. We could be the first.

Off topic or on topic not sure, how historically accurately is the AI handling the different scenario starts. Does a Germany 1936 ai still take Poland first? Or does the ai build up forces as Johan indicated for the bigger threat France.
I am just wondering how much lateral movement the ai exercises or is it confined to certain predetermined actions like Danzig, Barbarossa etc?

Off topic or on topic not sure, how historically accurately is the AI handling the different scenario starts. Does a Germany 1936 ai still take Poland first? Or does the ai build up forces as Johan indicated for the bigger threat France.
I am just wondering how much lateral movement the ai exercises or is it confined to certain predetermined actions like Danzig, Barbarossa etc?

The AI isn't finished yet, I'll let you know more when it's done.

Tannu Tuva... the new home of the Mongolian hordes?

Sorry could not resist... back on topic

I for one did not play the battle scenerios... plus gotta leave some room for the expansion packs....

Looks great

For day of infamy, I will love to see how HOI3 handles the Pearl Harbour attack, I hope the results are going to be somewhat random, but still devasting to the US fleet.

I am also looking forward to AI Japan invading south east asia after Pearl Harbour, Japanese lack of interest in resource rich SE asia was one of the biggest issues with HOI2

Then there was the other problem. Let’s say you start the day before Pearl Harbour, the Japanese combined fleet is out in the Pacific steaming toward its Day of Infamy. Then the Japanese AI decides that the USA has a huge IC, massive manpower and to be honest this war in China is taking a lot of our resources we would be mad to fight them and calls the fleet home. Now for those of you who are fans of a ‘good’ AI this would be an eminently sensible decision for the Japanese AI to make, but let’s be honest it isn’t going to give you the full on World War II experience.

So does the Day of Infamy scenario starts just before Pearl Harbour? Does this mean that Pearl Harbour is not an event anymore? Shouldn't the scenario start with Japan at war with America?

What happens to me if hoi 3 is finally out, there will be nothing to looking forward on wednesdays :(
Great work, just as usual...
I dont miss the battle scenarios either, only played them once and that was the HOI 2 demo :D
The two scenarios which were taken out, could be quite useful and interesting,
but as I know paradox they will be included again in one of the patches.

Yeah I really hope the AI left to it's own means would be capable of pulling off a lot of the historically accurate events. Or at least the general flow.

For instance, would the U.S. actually be able to do land invasion on Normandy and send paratroopers.

Would the U.S. do market Garden?

Considering the player didn''t change the world so much that these events weren't possible.

The AI doing a coordinated amphibious assault and paratrooper landing in even a remotely effective way would just have me thrilled.

I look forward to Day of Infamy the most, as I don't have to dull my way through the 1936-1941 of building an very large army, air force and especially navy :p I didn't do that in my latest game as US though, or at least no army... was rather fun, but I still can't keep my hands off building stuff :p didn't try 1941 with US though, but I want to now...

Anyways, with Laws and politics, and the likes, I'm hoping that a build-up won't be possible, at least not a 100 division army, before the Day of Infamy.. but brings on fun in politics and espionage, giving me 5 years of FUN! w00t

if the AI did market garden everybody would say the AI sucks :D

:rofl: I needed a good laugh, thank you! :)

Now, I know battlescenarios aren't in (don't worry I read the 4 or 5 posts the devs stated that in :D), but is there still an option/way to limit the map still available for modders (black out the rest of the world, etc...)

i.e. if a mod wanted to, could this type of code still be used?
map = {
no = all
yes = 1612
yes = 1613
yes = 1614
yes = 1622
Though, I admit it might be crazy with over 10k provinces!

Well, even if there are no battle scenarios, they should be modded-in, I presume...

Still, if that promised feature of delegating AI to handle certain aspects of the game and even war-fronts will be done properly, I think it will be more than feasible to "simulate" much more battle-scenarios and even in much more dimensions. I mean that you will be able to play Barbarossa scenario as some kind of a "battle-scenario" while ordering the AI to control everything except Eastern front warfare etc. So no need to have battle scenarios with such options...:)

Nice DD. I like the selectable difficulty levels for different aspects of the game. I also like selecting the country to play by selecting the map directly.

BTW I loved the battle scenarios in HoI2. Who wants to bet that we'll see some battlescenarios in an expansion pack?

Great news, those two new start dates will be very fun to try out. maybe now I can have a semi-historical pacific war as USA! The battle scenarios were fun for one playthrough back in the day, but they were not worth the effort for HoI3 IMHO.

hehe, well only if the German AI responds correctly.

However, if Germany is played by a bad player, Market Garden could be a great move for the US AI.

But, the main point is...will the AI be capable of planning a massive invasion?

Would German AI actually use Paratroopers?

Yes - and they would say the same thing if the AI launched the Bulge attack, or Kursk, or invaded the Caucasus instead of taking Moscow, or if AI Japan committed to the Solomons, or if AI Russia launched a bloody mess counter-attack in 1941, or if AI UK landed at Dieppe in 1942, or if ...:D