• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dskod1

Field Marshal
137 Badges
Apr 14, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • VtM - Bloodlines 2 Blood Moon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
ok I have europa universalis 3 in nomine

2 questions

1. what is a personal union?

2. how do I form one?

1)One country's ruler ruling another country with a chance to inherit every time a king dies. The country ruled in the personal union is treated like a vassal, except they cannot break the union at will and do not pay half their monthly tax income.

2)There is a small chance of one being formed every time the ruler of a country dies, and that country has a royal marriage with another.

Think of it as a type of vassal. In short, you share the same king but remain separate countries. The new king has to come from one of the countries, and this country becomes the Sr.Partner, while the Jr has limited options.

The only way to get them is thorough royal marriage, time, and luck - and be weary, you could end up as the Jr.Partner!

A personal union is when your king is also the king of another country. The leading country in the union determines the foreign policy, so the smaller partner cannot declare war while in a personal union. A personal union may eventually lead to one country inheriting the domains of the other country. It can't be broken by direct action, but if your relationship with the other country is low enough and your leader dies the union will dissolve.
Unions are created randomly with countries with which you have a royal marriage. Thus, republics can't form PU's.

ok cool thanks guys. So can I have a list of governments wich cant form unions please

ok cool thanks guys. So can I have a list of governments wich cant form unions please
While I don't have a list, the key issue is royal marriages. If you can have a royal marriage then you can have a personal union. Most republics can not have royal marriages; noble republic can.

Note: you can only get into a PU if you have a royal marriage; if you don't have a royal marriage, then you can NOT get into a PU.

I just started playing EU3 again... I am Holland in 1399 in a union with Hainaut.

How do I dissolve it? I wish to be a free nation again. Is there seriously nothing to do, but wait until one of the rulers dies?

If my ruler dies... my game would actually end?

I just started playing EU3 again... I am Holland in 1399 in a union with Hainaut.

How do I dissolve it? I wish to be a free nation again. Is there seriously nothing to do, but wait until one of the rulers dies?

If my ruler dies... my game would actually end?

Obviously you are playing 3.x, so the answer is insult them. PUs end when the king dies and the senior has negative prestige or is excommunicated, or when the parties have negative relations, or immediately if either party changes to a non-noble republic.

And the game would only actually end if you chose to quit it.

-Pat