• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(79717)

Is this esoteric?
Jul 4, 2007
www.heroesofardania.net
Here is a long overdue thread for the folks who are having trouble getting the Gold edition of Majesty working on their computer.

Background:

The original Majesty- The Fantasy Kingdom Sim was developed by Cyberlore Studios and published by MicroProse for Windows in March, 2000. Infogrames released Majesty Gold Edition, (Majesty and The Northern Expansion bundled together), in January, 2002.

Needless to say, Majesty is an old game, developed for an old operating system, that was designed to run on computers with what we'd consider today as "outdated" hardware. There is no guarantee that it will work with your "futuristic" system.

That said, here are some things you can try to get Majesty to work. Before I go on, I'd recommend that before you attempt any of this, you back up everything.

Workarounds:

#1 Disabling the Opening Cinematic

This is an old fix, but it works in many cases...
  • Right click the SHORTCUT to MajX.exe
  • Select properties and add -nointro to the end of the target line.
  • The result should look something like this fo a typical game installation:
"C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Majesty - Gold Edition\MajX\MajX.exe" -nointro​

#2 Disabling DirectDraw Acceleration

Another possible "workaround" for movie crashes is disabling DirectDraw Acceleration.

• From the Start menu select Run...
  • Now type in DXdiag and press enter
  • Click on the Display tab
  • Set the "DirectDraw Acceleration" to Disabled
Your movies will look distorted but the game will run.
You'll need to re-enable DirectDraw for other games though.

#3 Swap your graphics card codec for another

Some Geforce cards have Blink32 codec issues that will cause Majesty to crash on videos. Updating your Blink32 codec might work.

TheDS said:
The actual name of the DLL in question is "binkw32.dll" and a replacement can be found at the following links. Naturally, rename your original file.

This one seems to simply disable all the cinematics, and is the one I kept.
http://www.dll-download.net/binkw32.html

This one didn't do anything for me. Maybe it'll be better for you.
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl....shtml?binkw32

This one seemed to make things worse for me (a different noise before crash).
http://www.dlldll.com/binkw32.dll_download.html

#4 Disable/Remove the music files
Some systems have trouble with the music files in the Gold edition (supposedly the file format was changed from the original format). The only verified workaround is to remove (or simply relocate) the music files. In those instances the game will otherwise function normally (sans music).

Last edited:
Weren't the music files also a problem? Were you just supposed to delete them or use another shortcut (which of course, I can't remember... -nocdmusic or something)?

Weren't the music files also a problem? Were you just supposed to delete them or use another shortcut (which of course, I can't remember... -nocdmusic or something)?

Any way to get the game to work with music for those of us where it causes crashes?

Yeah I can't remember if there was a simple extension fix for that or not.
I suppose removing the all music files might be an option if an extension's not available. If someone comes up with something definite, I'll include it in the post.

Does anyone else have problems with lag between mouse movements and the pointer on screen or any solutions to said problems? I don't have any other problems with the game besides this.

I have a
Core2Duo Processor with 2.2Ghz
NVidia GeForce 8600GT with 256MB Video RAM
2 Gig of RAM
Windows Vista 32bit Home Edition

Majesty Gold Edition is the version I have.

It seems that this is an nvidia driver problem. Everyone who has nvidia crad and vista of 7 has the same problem too... :(
Press windows button+R or select Run... in start menu. Write "dxdiag" and press enter, then select Display and try to disable DirectDraw acceleration if it is possible. It may helps but I am not sure.

Anybody can tell me how can I get the sound files from Majesty Gold Edition if it is possible? There is a data2.cab file on the CD but I can't open it (I tried win explorer, winrar, bitzipper).

Edit: I've just found on the original website the voicelines and the Sound Editor so it helps a little but the question says: How can I open that cab file?

Last edited:
I've had trouble with the game crashing at about 11 days into the Save the Prince quest (the one where your kid is kidnapped by elves). I have the Gold edition. OS is XP-64 bit (not sure if that makes any difference). I never had this trouble back when I had just the Majesty disc (before the gold edition came out).

Also, sometimes the game will randomly crash to descktop for no particular reason. This doesn't occur very often, but I've had it happen a few times in the Freestyle maps.

I had the problem with the movie and I fixed it by disabling the directdraw acceleration. But now when I get to the menu it's moved over to the right. i know I should know this, but how do I fix it? I can barely see anything.

Majesty Gold and CCCP-Codecs

I have found that Majesty Gold and the Northern expansion pack will Hang and be forced to be terminated if you have the CCCP-Project codec packs installed.

Apparently the audio stream triggers the ffdshow audio decoder to start, which gets in the way of the program running audio correctly. :wacko:

Uninstalling the CCCP-codec pack fixes the problem but I'd almost rather have the codecs than the games.

If anyone knows how to make these audio files not trigger the ffdshow conflict, please post it.

EDIT: I have found how to keep it from hanging. Follow these steps:
Open the Start--> Program --> Combined Community Codec Pack --> Filters --> FFDShow Audio Decoder Configuration.

In the left pane, select Codecs

In the pane on the right the very first thing listed should be MP3. In the middle column under 'decoder', make a note somewhere of its current setting (be it libmad or mp3lib).

Then select the decoder for mp3 and set it to 'disabled'.

Click apply and close the config utility.

Try running Majesty.

By making a note, you can set it back when you have troubles playing back stuff in other apps.

Last edited: