• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(111870)

Colonel
1 Badges
Aug 22, 2008
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
Ottomania

This is my first attempt of making an AAR.

The AAR is inspired from the thread on the OE from the forums. I will try to go on a Jihad Westwards and maintain peace in the east, for now.

The setting is Very Hard and all else normal.

Sadly i made a misstake at the early game, so i have very few screenies from the start.

Also i any1 can help me out how to imagehost the pics and type them in here i would be delighted. I have used Imageshack, but can't get any of the pics to be in "my images". Also i use way to much time converting from BMP to PNG.

Plz help.

Ottomania: Part 1, Timur Vs Bayezid.

Bayezid the first, 1399, Diary during the 7-day assembly:
The war against the empire of Timur, is one our glorious empire is destined to lose. Timur has in over the last years expanded his empire to a great vast blob in between Arabia and India. The Ottoman state and culture is superior to everybody else, so why can’t our economy sustain an army like that of Timur.. And if that isn’t enough Timur is a ferocious general. There are rumors of him eating the rottening hearts of his slain enemies. Nay, a direct confrontation will not be in Ottoman favor. And already now Timur is marching in on the Ottoman territories of Sivas and Angorra with more than twenty thousand troops! The situation is getting grim. And this council of nobles has squandered time at this council for 7 days, doing nothing. If this continues I won’t have a throne my son, Murad, can inherit.
Something must be done. Those pesky nobles won’t be allowed to stand between me and greatness. Neither will that useless barbarian.

Bayezid the first, 1399, speech to the war council of the Ottoman Empire, after the 7-day assembly:
What shall we do, great men of the Empire? You have suggested we should cower behind our walls in despair! And pay of Timur with land and gold! Our land and our gold! How dare you even suggest that! From this day forth war taxes is taxed all over the empire. None are allowed to slip free, not the nobles nor the mosques. You will all assemble your best men at Angora at my disposal. Every livestock in the Regions of Sivas and Angorra must be taken away or burned. We will raid into Persia and kill any who opposes us. Including those non-believers amongst us! I vow to defend our great empire against Timur. Are you cowards or are you Ottomans? Are you with me or against me?
Anyone who opposes this speak now.

**** Scriptors notes ****
And none spoke. Either the Kings plan was perfect, or the men assembled were frightened by the 2 full strength regiments present within the grand hall of Edirne. It could as well be the special outfit worn by the king, that day:

Only days later, as an direct consequence of the Kings speech, the landlords of Bithynia openly adopted the Shiite faith.. As an consequence thereof Bayezid enacted the denouncement of sect practices and the Sheik ul-Islam Office. The punishment of the sects had to wait, as the war was the most important issue at the moment.
sect_practice.png

Bayezid the first, early 1400, Diary entry:
Finally we have conquered the last treacherous Turkish tribes, who supported Timur. It has been to long sieging Mus. So much effort and blood, and only for the province of Mus and Kony. I would have had the sieges finish sooner, but we couldn’t afford any encounters with the main army of Timur. As a result we had to give up the sieges many times. Our new allies The Golden Horde and The Mamluks, wouldn’t allow us to take all the lands of Karaman and Dulkadir. I don’t know why, as I stopped listening at “they will have to be an OPM first”.
At least we are gaining some ground occupying Timurs fortless lands in Persia. This has proven a great distraction, as he have been forced to retreat out of Asia Minor. Asia Minor is once again in our hands, but we must be ever vigilant as that huge army is just at our border!
Bayezid the first, september 1403, Diary entry:
We had our first real battle against our enemies army. It wasn’t a fight we did at our good will, but we had to protect our infantry regiments from being overrun. In the end we lost the battle, Mira Shan was an formidable foe. At least we saved several thousand infantry from the certain dead. They will now be reassigned to guard duty as war exhaustion is rising.

Rumors has come of Timurs death. According to the rumors Timur died in February 1401 ! As expected his nation is falling apart in a succession crisis. We have been giving active support to Azerbaijani nationalists. In the coming time we will try to help Persian and other nationalists as well. The nobles are not pleased with the war results. They wishes to see our armies crush those of our enemies. Thankfully my son, Murad, is arguing for the continued policy of occupation and support for dissidents.
Bayezid the first, January 1405, Diary entry:
I can almost feel the victory! The two huge armies of the empire has both been pushed east, where they are fighting nationalist rebels! One day we might be able to defeat them. Rumors goes, that Bâbur the III can’t pay his armies. He surely isn’t as able as his grand uncle Timur.
EU3_16.png

But at home we have troubles with rebels as well.
EU3_17.png

Bayezid the first, March 1405, Diary entry:
For the first time the I ordered my army to charge against the demoralized army of Miran Shah:
EU3_18.png

The province of Edirne reversed their faith. The battle of Atak showed them, Islam isn’t a religion of cowards.
EU3_19.png

Bayezid the first, June 1405, Diary entry:
We have been chasing the army of Miran Shah for months. A series of winning battles, a lot of newly occupied land but no decisive victory yet.
EU3_20.png

Bayezid the first, July 1405, Diary entry:
I got an arrow through the leg in the battle for Bukhara. The doctor says the wound will easily heal. To be on the safe side I have ordered my servants in Edirne to prepare for Murads ascension to the throne. I myself have seen what can happen in a succession crisis:
EU3_21.png

*** Chronicles of the Grand Scriptor of the Ottoman Empires ***
November 1405 was a changing year for the empire. Bayezid completed his war against the so called Timurid Empire. The Province of Erserum, and its Turkish populace, was gained. Khiva was released and became an Ottoman ally. Persia had proclaimed itself an independent state, and continued to war the remnants of the Timurid Empire. Bayezid had so far insured the Empire from the Eastern threat.
In the same month Bayezid the Warrior died from his wounds. His son Murad II took the throne, and none opposed the son of the glorious Bayezid. His father had spent most of his reign looking east. Murad II had his eyes focused in another direction!

The Empire at the 15 November 1405
EU3_MAP_TUR_14051115_1.png

After the peace in 1406:
EU3_MAP_TUR_140633_1.png

Bayezids deeds:
Bayeszid_emperor.jpg

During the war it hadn't been necessary to take any loans. Instead the treasury had been forced to mint a bit. Inflation stood around ~1 - It was clear for anyone, that more money had to be extracted from the economy to protect against the Empires enemies.

Last edited:
Why didnt the Hungarians or any minors like Serbia Wallachia or byz atk u :eek: in all my games they dow ottos almost immediately, gj so far though

Serbia and Bosnia are vassals at 1399, therefore they can't attack me while in a war with me. They won't due to good relations.

Hungary did attack Bosnia. They didn't land any armies, due to the lack of MA through Serbia... Been a little while since i played this, so i forgot, as it had little effect. Naples attacked as well, but only landed 2k troops and were kicked out.

@Forsakenblack: Muslims like war.. At least my muslims, and are therefore fun to play (STABLESS DOW!).

Ottomania: Part 2, Consolidation.
Not many historical records over the period of 1405-1423 have survived of the Ottoman Empire. This lack of accurate knowledge is primarily due to multiple sackings of The Great Library in Imereti by Georgian nationalists.
Some things have come to historians knowledge from outsiders. Primarily venetian traders, who were one of the richest states at that time. The Empire was very poor, as the war against Timur had devastating effects on the economy. Many men and women in the working age had emigrated to other lands. The eastern part of the nation were worst of, due to the high damage those provinces had taken during the war. Many resources were directed from the central government, but most projects failed due to the incapable administrative capabilities of Murad II:
Ruler1405.jpg

Historians now agree, that Murad II finalized his fathers peace negotiations with the Timurid Empire. Earlier it was thought Bayezid himself signed the treaty, but later found documents has Murads signature on it. Afterwards signing the treaty, he allowed the economy to heal partially. Amongst other measures he reduced spending towards the army and the navy. He also was a profound supporter of the church, which he gave almost unlimited funds and power to convert the heathens in old Greece, Bulgaria, Albania etc..
Murad continued the diplomatic policy his father instituted; strong royal bonds with the Golden Horde and The Mamluks. Even though both suffered succession crises and incredible weakness he stood by them, and even helped destroy the rebellions when he could. Secretly he hoped his family would inherit those lands.
Several times during his reign the empire was attacked by Hungary, as they claimed Ze Empire was treating its Christian subjects poorly (As if Hungary was any better. They did not declare war on Ze Empire itself, but its Orthodox Christian vassal Bosnia). The wars all ended with Bosnia being looted, the Hungarian fleet sunk and were otherwise a Status Quo.
The Mamluks did at some point attack an unknown muslim state. Some say its geographical location in the 14th century was barely known by the Venetian traders. Ze Empire honored its alliance, but its stability was trashed, due to the military acces given to Ze Empire. Years was spend on regaining that stability. Some historians describe the stability situation as an “-3” classification! If Murad hasn’t been as tactical capable, then Ze Empire would surely have collapsed.
The Orthodox state of Trebizond was annexed by Candar in the period. Relatively late in his reign Murad II started expanding Ze Empires borders. First he attacked Georgia, where he conquered Imereti and Alania. Most of the fighting took place in Golden Horde territory by GH’s troops. Georgia (the province), was granted to GH for their support. The former glorious Byzantine Empire had guaranteed Georgias independence and had joined the war with them. Most of the Byzantine army was beaten after an failed assault against the walls of Burgas. Thrace was afterwards sieged and taken. The unconquerable city had fallen. The 4000 Byzantine troops in Morea was attacked by 4000 Ottoman marines. The navy itself returned to the Bosphorus strait to gather reinforcements
http://www.ncmaritimehistory.org/images/Native Canoe.jpg
The naval landing party . As seen they are to busy hunting fishies instead of preparing to fight!

All 4000 Ottoman marines were brutally decapitated at the beaches, while having nowhere to run. Murad himself command the second attack wave, and no records of prisoners have ever been found.
After the fort at Morea had fallen peace with the Byzantines were given. Morea was ceded as well as a minor sum of ducats.
Murad II were still angry at the Byzantines for slaughtering his armies (and the Hungarians, but aren’t we all?  ). He promptly declared war upon Achea – Bringing in Venice and and the Byzantines. Thrace fall quickly, as the city walls had yet to be repaired. That is when the Byzantine Empire ceased to exist. Upon conquering Thrace, Murad II completed the mission given by the nobles, the conquest of the City Of Mens Desire was done. Achea suffered the same faith and was annexed shortly after. Venice was ultimately convinced to cede Athens, and would no more contest the Ottoman Empire as ruler of Greece. Despite Murads victory, Ze Empire was taught an important lesson; when being a coastal nation you need naval supremacy. Two fifteenth of the Imperial navy was sunk or captured by the Venetian army.
Many revolts in the former Georgian territories Alana and especially Imereti put a hard strain on the army. All missionaries, Turkish officials and governmental buildings was killed, sacked, burned or all three (not necessarily in that order). The Great Library in Imereti and all records were burned, even though the library were built in Imereti to please the Georgians. Between 1409 and 1412 many provinces embraced the true faith.

In 1416 died, while the nation was in a war with Hungary. Even though it was an de facto state of peace, as neither nation were willing to send armies through Serbia.
MuradII_emperor.jpg

The world in 1413
EU3_MAP_TUR_141313_1-1.png

Last edited:
*Subscribes* - I keep thinking I'll try the Ottos soon but I haven't managed it yet.

Good work getting rid of Byzantium - if only to annoy the fanboys!

In Nomine has something pretty annoying: All of the seas are terra incigota (however it was written). How come you got rid of that?

In Nomine has something pretty annoying: All of the seas are terra incigota (however it was written). How come you got rid of that?

Terra Incognita is all unknown territories. The Timurid parts of Persia was discovered, while at war. (Its possible to walk through provinces while at war)

The world map doesn't show TI and is made using F12 or ctrl+F12.

I hope my campaign makes your Turkey game in HOI a bit easier :)

Ottomania: Part 3, Abdulmalik I – The peaceful years
Abdulmalik I, Murad II eldest son, rose to the throne in march 1416. He was only 18 at the time. Even before his ascension Abdulmalik I (Henceforth A1) was loved by the people and the nobility. Much of this love was due to an intense effort by Murads Public Relations officer, Abdelina Jolie. The rest was due to his unique skillfulness (7/8/8)

ANGELINA%20JOLIE%20EN%20ESQUIRE.jpg

Murads chief publicist. Very popular amongst the masses and the nobles.

A1 ended the Hungarian war, without any battles ever occurred. He also supported his allies in the GH against Muscowy and Novgorod. He did not send in many forces except to cleanse GH’s territory of rebels. He also had his own problem with nationalist and religious rebels, especially Greece and the Georgians in Imereti were big problems (the latter continued for almost another decade to loot and burn all official records and pictures of OE history).
He did manage to spread the sunni faith in large parts of Greece and Bulgaria. He moved the capital to Thrace, instituted the National Bank so money could be diverted from public research to the treasury. Historians believe the progress in the empire was approximately 20 % slower than an equivalent Western European state. The money was greatly needed for missionaries, the army, the fleet and the building of temples to the praise of Allah. He also moved the capital to Istanbul, which was formerly known as Constantinople. He also finished his forefathers work and lay the final foundation for the Imperial Administration.
A1 had such a peaceful mind, that he would not allow any neighboring states to begin any wars. The inhabitant of the empire had as an direct consequence of this known relative peace in 5 good years. But one day A1 had to show the world if those warnings were just for show, as Candar tried to call his bluff by declaring war on Karaman..

EU3_2_2.jpg

Last edited:
Ottomania part 4, or how Abdulmalik came to love war.

We left off, where Candar attacked Karaman, which were protected by the entire Muslim world, you can’t say it was a wise move, but as leader of the Muslim world the Ottoman Empire lead the alliance against Candar. Candar owned a total of 3 provinces and commanded an army of 4000 men. A1’s advisors quickly realized it was only a matter of time before Candar was defeated. The Ottoman armies primary goal was to command all sieges of the Candari provinces.

A bit of ping ponging between the Ottoman eastern rebel forces and the Candari forces led to the utter destruction of Candars armed forces. All 3 Candari provinces are sieged by OE forces and the Mamluks arrived late and couldn’t join in on the really fun part. A1 enjoyed to see Mamluk infantry throw themselves at the walls of the fortress. At the second attempt the fort fell. Candar offered a white peace, which many thought would be granted due to the peaceful nature of A1.
EU3_22-1.png

“Many” were wrong. A1 felt humiliated, as the King of Candar had ignored the warning and guarantee. The armies of OE continued.

The Mamluks proceeded to help the Ottoman siege in Sinope. Kastamon had fallen and Imereti revolts as always:
EU3_24.png

EU3_25.png

The assault fails miserably much to the dismay of Abdulmalik I. Making him angrier than ever seen before:
istockphoto_1648631-angry-demon-vector.jpg

Some say A1 himself beheaded every surviving member of the garrison. Others stories that he also killed their wives and children. Others say all the stories were made up by A1 himself to help future sieges. A1 himself led all battles and sieges of the army, which historians argue is a proof of A1’s blood thirst, which led to many of his later wars.

After the fall of Sinope the Timurids embargoes us, the Ottoman Empire.
EU3_27-1.png

The Centralisation effort led to a “large” revolt – It seems the Empire needs to westernize, where centralisation of -2 is necessary:
EU3_29-1.png

The pic also show the sliders of the empire and our important national bank.

The Revolt in Mus is beaten by our friends, The Mamluks, as they return home. Candar cedes Sinope and Trebizon. Both are Turkish of culture, which is nice.

WE is close to zero, the troops is at full maintenance so A1 thinks about a new target!
EU3_31.jpg

That is not the case for Hungary. Every nation who has RR in their home provinces is almost ready to be destroyed.

His advisors agreed it would be possible to defeat Hungary in a one and one. They could almost all agree it was worth the cost.

Prepare for the chapter 5: The undefeatable alliance:

EU3_32.jpg

Got off to a roaring start and no mistake.