+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Religious Migrations (Mini-Mod)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Religious Migrations (Mini-Mod)

This mini-mod consists of events and decisions that simulate the migration of people of different religions from one province to another, and also the religious minorities that exist in each province.

Let me explain it a little better with a few screenshots:

Here we can see Ile de France has a protestant majority

However, reformed refugees have arrived from neighbor provinces Cambray and Othe...

Cambray, on its hand, has some protestant people, maybe refugees from Artois...

... or maybe "induced" people from Ile de France, who are trying to spread the protestant faith!

Pernambuco has received some slaves from Portuguese Zanzibar...

And protestants from Caracas are colonizing neighbor Cumana.

Here's some more details:
    An event warns you when a minority appears in one of your provinces.
    An event also warns you when that minority is getting larger.
    When the minority reaches a certain number, the province will switch religions; the minority will become the province main religion, and the province will get a minority of the previous religion.
    Owning a province with slaves will cause them to spread that province's faith throughout your colonies and overseas possessions.
    People from neighbor provinces can (and will) move to your provinces if certain conditions are met (normally if they're of a different religion than their owner country, if the revolt risk is high, etc.)
    There's a province decision to encourage religious emigration (and another to cancel it) that will cause your people to move to neighbor heretic provinces and create/enlarge minorities there.

PLEASE give me some suggestions and ideas to improve this mod further, and some feedback on how you liked/hated the mod if you happen to try it out.

DISCLAIMER: This mini-mod is in its "beta" phase. It may contain bugs, and it may crash your game. It has worked fine for me for dozens of years, though. It also may not be properly balanced as of now.

Here's the download link:

LINK

Edits:
    3/4/09 23.45 - found a bug in the code that prevented catholic minorities from being created, re-uploaded the file.
    5/4/09 16.45 - major update.
    7/4/09 3.00 - major update and new events.
    Last edited by aenariel; 07-04-2009 at 04:07.
    /aeni
    Europa Universalis IV über alles!
    Try out Haftetavenscrap's Realistic Map Generator!

Maker of:
    » Religious Migrations Mini-Mod (for EU3): Event system that simulates religious minorities and migrations.
    » copy_culture Event Set (for EU3): Copy any province's culture to another province of your choice.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I just wanted to say that I really like the idea behind this mod, and that I will take a look at it when I have time. I have been considering something similar with my current project, although it focuses on refugees and abductees from occupied provinces. I'm looking forward to seeing how you have done your mod, since it seems so similar to mine.

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Warlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    very good idea indeed.
    AKA TheNewTeddy

Quote of the Month - October (Bad_Haggis) "The ramblings of Libertarians make my political views look coherent."

Follow my terrible Mount and Blade Warband playthrough / AAR

If enforcing the rules to-the-letter results in stupid situations, it means you have stupid rules... and you SHOULD enforce them to-the-letter, otherwise they'll never get changed.

Love the idea, just one question, is this compatible with IN 3.1 or 3.2 Beta??

Although I see you have a minority religion indicator in your provinces, here is an idea I posted in the WWM thread and maybe you would like to consider it along with the other changes you made:

"6. The major thing that I wanted to get everyone's opinion on was the possibility of having some sort of "slave colony system", although I realize this brings up a lot of tension and debate around here, I think it could be set up in such a way that it doesn't focus solely on racial or ethnic basis because slavery was a very real thing in this period of time among all cultures and religions and in much of the non-Western world was used as a way to deal with prisoners of war. My proposition would be to make it similar to the "penal colony" indicator in a province and to restrict "slave colony" to provinces that are of both a different culture group as well as religious group than that of the owner, and the owner would have to have the idea "colonial ambitions" or "QFTNW" to use it. This would cause the "slave colony" to have increased revolt risk and declining population (maybe -3% or so), but would allow the owner to settle new lands with that culture (at a faster rate than normal colonies and with economic bonuses but with increased revolt risk and casus belli to nation's with that culture/religion). Eventually, maybe past 1820's or so or if the person has ideas "religious tolerance" or other advanced ideas, this could cause a prestige hit or other penalties. Comments?"

I'm running it on 3.2b. I've made quite a few bug fixes and balancing tweaks tonight, I'll update the new version later.

Yes, I've thought of that. But, although it's fairly simple to do it religion-wise, it's WAY too hard to do it for cultures. There are a LOT of different cultures in the game, but only 12 different religions (13 in WWM). I can do some province decisions related to slavery and toy around with the religions though.

Btw, my mini-mod is compatible with WWM.
    /aeni

Maker of:
    » Religious Migrations Mini-Mod (for EU3): Event system that simulates religious minorities and migrations.
    » copy_culture Event Set (for EU3): Copy any province's culture to another province of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by aenariel View Post
    Btw, my mini-mod is compatible with WWM.
    great...

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Warlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    IMHO you should talk to the guys over at Magna Mundi and see if you cannot get your mini-mod added to the main project!
    AKA TheNewTeddy

Quote of the Month - October (Bad_Haggis) "The ramblings of Libertarians make my political views look coherent."

Follow my terrible Mount and Blade Warband playthrough / AAR

If enforcing the rules to-the-letter results in stupid situations, it means you have stupid rules... and you SHOULD enforce them to-the-letter, otherwise they'll never get changed.

Heh I'd like to have people's reactions first. I'm gonna post an update to the mod later tonight of everything goes well, with lots of fixes.

Cheers.
    /aeni

Maker of:

I've updated the files today, the events are now much more balanced and the decisions make a lot more sense.

The events will trigger every other month and add less "percentage" to the minorities each time, but allow a more dynamic growth/decline.
    The "Encourage" decision now has a cost and a fixed time (2 years) after which the nation has to pay the cost again.

I'm thinking of making a new series of events that make minorities help missionaries by decreasing their costs/increasing their success rate if, for instance, there's a Catholic minority in a province that is being targeted by a Cath. missionary, and so on.
    I'm also thinking on adding some events that cause province modifiers to be added, something like "religious friction" if two different religions are present and the country is intolerant.

What do you guys think?
    /aeni

Maker of:

Sounds great little mod, but how i can use it with WWM? Do i just copy and paste files from RM to WWM?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Lead and GoldMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Sounds like a great mod. Will finally give a way to have various religions in one province and make it bit more realistic. Maybe even vanilla EU3 could utilize some of the ideas

Quote Originally Posted by kivija80 View Post
    Sounds great little mod, but how i can use it with WWM? Do i just copy and paste files from RM to WWM?
    Yes, except event_modifiers.txt. That one you'll just have to copy whatever is after "# RELIGIOUS MIGRATIONS" manually to the one already existing on the WWM common folder.

I said it is compatible because it has all 13 WWM's religions (compared to vanilla's 12).

Sounds like a great mod. Will finally give a way to have various religions in one province and make it bit more realistic. Maybe even vanilla EU3 could utilize some of the ideas
    Thanks. There are still a lot of events missing (the one's I suggested above) but I think the mod alone "as is" is already somewhat fun.

I have loads of RL work to do this week but I'll try to post some new updates as time goes. I have a zillion ideas for events but some are quite tiresome to code because they require specific events for each religion.

Well, keep giving me feedback. Thanks.
    /aeni

Maker of:

Quote Originally Posted by aenariel View Post
    Yes, except event_modifiers.txt. That one you'll just have to copy whatever is after "# RELIGIOUS MIGRATIONS" manually to the one already existing on the WWM common folder.

I said it is compatible because it has all 13 WWM's religions (compared to vanilla's 12).
    Ah, thank you very much, i'll do that.

Okay guys, new update.

Here's the change list:

- Now minorities will help missionaries to convert the provinces faster (by increasing the chance and decreasing the cost).
    - Having minorities in a province, depending on various factors, can trigger an event called "religious friction". This event will create province modifiers that give a bit of revolt risk and cause the minorities to spread to nearby provinces for a while.
    - A new decision has been added, "Crack down on minorities". This decision will increase revolt risk but make minorities to flee to neighbor provinces, friendly or not.
    - Slave provinces no longer receive minorities from other slave provinces.
    - I've recoded some parts of the growth/decline events to make them more sane.
    - Loads of other minor fixes.

That's it. This mini-mod is rapidly reaching its conclusion, as I'm running out of (major) ideas. There's still lots of minor details to do, but the core is almost done.

Any new ideas and feedback are greatly appreciated.
    /aeni

Maker of:

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Is this mini-mod compatible with Magna Mundi Platinum, despite having less religions?

Quote Originally Posted by boies00 View Post
    Is this mini-mod compatible with Magna Mundi Platinum, despite having less religions?
    Almost certainly not.

Now, the trick would be to get them to integrate it. This seems right down their alley...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k club

could you do this for cultures too?
    "Berlin is the testicle of the West. When I want the West to scream, I squeeze on Berlin." Nikita Khrushchev

"Under my command, every mission is a suicide mission."- Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"Capitalists will always find a way of buying themelves out of any crisis. As long it's the workers that foot the bill" Lenin

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

Very good idea Aenariel!

In answering other people's comments... integrating this with MMP2 would be a very complex ask to do properly at first and a very challenging thing to balance.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    Very good idea Aenariel!
    Thanks!

In answering other people's comments... integrating this with MMP2 would be a very complex ask to do properly at first and a very challenging thing to balance.
    Yes, I agree. It's not difficult to add whatever religions are missing, but balancing the events is something that requires a lot of testing, and MMP already has religion-based events (gradual conversion comes to mind) that would conflict with this.
    /aeni

Maker of:

Quote Originally Posted by hyme View Post
    could you do this for cultures too?

That's what we're discussing here. There are a LOT more different cultures than different religions in the game, so we'd need to have a different approach on the whole thing to make it work for cultures too. Although, to be honest, it is perfectly possible.
    /aeni

Maker of:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast