East India Company: Reivews, Previews, Interviews Meta-Thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fredrik II

Paradox Interactive
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Sep 15, 2003
www.paradoxplaza.com
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria 2
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Click here to subscribe to this thread

Reviews:
Game and Player Review
Avault Review
Resolution Magazine Review
Hooked Gamers Review
Strategy Informer Review
Game Examiner Review
Gamer Limit Review
IGN Review
TechWoo Review
Female Gamers UK Review
Cheat Code Central Review
Boomtown Review
Games32 Review
Bright Hub Review
Gameshark review

Previews:
Worth Playing preview
Gamespot GDC preview
Gamesquad Preview (Naval Battle Preview code)
Boomtown preview
Wargamer preview
Diehard Gamefan preview
Tacticular Cancer Preview
Team Teabag preview
Gamevortex preview
Honest Gamers Preview
IGN Preview (E3)
Gamespot preview (E3)
The Reticule preview
Gaming Shogun preview
News10 preview (E3)
Cyberstratege preview (French)
Cyberstratege preview translated by Google
Hooked Gamer preview
Rockpapershotgun preview
Gameplanet preview
GamersRoute preview
Honest Gamers preview
Altern8 preview
Avault preview
Boomtown preview
Hooked Gamers Preview
RealGamer preview
All About Games preview

Interviews:
DieHardGameFan interview with Lead Designer Kim Soares

TrueGameHeadz interview with Lead Designer Kim Soares
Brutal Gamer interview with Lead Designer Kim Soares
Wargamer interview
Bashers interview
GameFocus.ca

Videos:
Video Developer Diary #1 (Gamespot)
Video Developer Diary #2 (Gamespot)
Video Developer Diary #3 (Gamespot)
Video Developer Diary #4 (Pdx Youtube channel)
Video Developer Diary #5 (Gamespot)
E3 Video part 1
E3 video part 2
Multiplayer footage from Gametrailers
Meet the team - from inside the Nitro Games office
Launch Trailer on Gametrailers

Other:
Nominated "Best of E3" in the Strategy Games genre
Listed among the "Best PC Games of Summer 2009" by IGN
Several chapter long AAR series by Tom Chick
How to make a million Ducats (by Tom Chick)

Last edited:
The game is looking fantastic. The map is quite interesting and could do with some more explanation of (hopefully).

P.S. This reviews, etc... thread deserves to be stickied, in my opinion.

This game is looking pretty interesting, although I have a few questions, one of them being Denmark and the Holy Roman Empire, did they actually have Far Eastern merchant companies historically?

This game is looking pretty interesting, although I have a few questions, one of them being Denmark and the Holy Roman Empire, did they actually have Far Eastern merchant companies historically?

The HRE itself: no. But I think that Brandenburg tried to establish some colonies in Africa. If I remember correctly they were not that successful with it. :D

if the HRE will be a weak countrie i think it will be a really good challenge for us to grown up the HRE
devs can you give us a compleltly map with als the colonies and they'r affiliation? :) i think that will be intresting

We (the Danish) most certainly did.
Ostindisk Kompagni (East India Company) was founded by King Christian IV (on the advice of a couple of Dutchmen!) in 1616 and had its headquarters in Trankebar from 1620 on the south eastern shore of India.
The company had a very colourful history and died and was resurrected many times during the next couple of hundred years (reborn, for example, as Asiatic Company in 1730).
It was never a great success in any of its incarnations, but it was most certainly a big part of Danish colonial history.

The wars with England in the beginning of the 19th century pretty much ruined the company and the Dutch also did their best to suppress it over the years.
Half way through the 19th century it had drawn its last breath.

In 1897 a private entrepreneur founded the East Asiatic Company which ran well through most of the 20th century, being the largest company in Scandinavia in the 70's.
The company fell apart in the 80's, though, and though it still exists today it is but a shadow of its former glory.

HRE and Italy are not very good picks for colonial powers. Italy was formed in 1861 and as long as I know, it never had its own East India company. Italian colonialist attempts became (in-)famous later in the modern times.

HRE was a medieval structure and its political significance vaporized in the course of 18th century (the "shadow" of HRE was abolished in 1806 by Napoleon).

Most important East India companies were established in modern-style nation states. Multinational, conservative empires failed at this. Austria was always trying to create an unitary, centralised state but never succeeded (even the name "Austria" is not correct label for that conglomerate).

Austrian East India company (Ostender Kompanie-German, Oostendse Compagnie-Dutch) was founded in 1717 in Austrian Netherlands (today Belgium) and lasted till 1731. It was closed due to British pressure on Austria during Treaty of Wien negotiations (forming an Anglo-Austrian alliance against French-Spanish colonial superpower which emerged from Spanish succesion wars).

Thanks for the info. That is the first time I had heard of anyone not thinking that this portion of history would not be a politically correct subject for a game. I do not know of any war that is considered totally Politically Correct. And yet they are the backdrop for many games.

Again thanks,
Greg.