• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
all good news, but I still think the peace negotiation system is an april joke... :confused:

Unfortunately, I don't think it is. And it worries me, because that's not the sort of thing that can be modable.

I hope it's a joke, even though I usually go for it all in my HoI games, I would like to draw my own edges of my newly gained contry... It's good that Bitter Peace still exists, because I don't want all of Russia when playing Germany... Well, acctually I just want to win against Russia, I usually liberate Ukraine, and some other small contries, just to have more allies, and because I don't want the map to looks screwed... which it usually end up doing... :p

These icons will indicate how many hits on the national unity the country is taking. First one is indicating the hits form the strategic bombing, the second one- form the attacks on the convoys. The middle one is maybe the combined value, or indicates the intelligence and political hits.
My bet the middle one is related to land warfare.
So it could be something like the amount of enemy troops in your country compared to yours (including your allies), and/or something that factors the control of the territory.
Or even it could be tied to the amount of IC controlled by the enemy, it's the strategic par of the warfare after all.

Nukes will have an effect on the country they are used on to increase the chances of surrender. Excellent news, the nuke should have more consequences than simply destroying IC. The fear these weapons create should be a big thing.

Very good news indeed.

WWII is an all out war against idealogies.

None of them would surrender without the bomb.

Of course they would. Stop using hindsight as a point of argument - it does not work.

Every single
war before WWII was concluded without the atomic bomb. :eek:o

If the Japs had been defeated on their home islands, they would have surrendered. The bomb was simply an alternative to millions more lives being lost. Germany surrendered - no bomb was dropped on them.

The Soviets would have surrendered eventually (by all accounts they weren't far off in '42/'43.) A bomb would not have been needed had the war turned out differently in other theatres.

Germany was completely conquered. So what's your point?

That is total conquest.

Can you imagine choosing all those extra provinces in a peace negotiation? They added over 10,000 extra provinces.

Now what the hell was the name of that province? Where is it agin on the scroll? What provinces is the AI refering to when they offer a peace agreement?

Are you smart enough to remember all those names and where they are located?

If there were regions it would be different.

I'm highly displeased with the peace options.

I wanted Paradox to get away from the silly "total war" black and white model; but more importantly, I find that breaking the UK's government and not being able to win any British colonies in the process - worse, not being able to sign peace with the rest of the Empire at some point - is a very problematic setup.

There are ways to do this.
Bold mine.

Oooo, this is getting better all the time!

I can hardly wait! Playing as Germany, marching on Washington, I destroy the governments of 80 nations around the world, their homelands already conquered. Every island, every jungle, every scrap of land everywhere has witnessed the boot and track of my armies ...

Then what? What actually happens when I capture every last piece of land, and the governments no longer have anywhere they can exile to?

But I do like the end of victory point provinces determining when a nation is defeated. Better that they should have to be defeated everywhere. This implies that every unit has to be defeated as well.

Germany was completely conquered. So what's your point?

That is total conquest.

Can you imagine choosing all those extra provinces in a peace negotiation? They added over 10,000 extra provinces.

Now what the hell was the name of that province? Where is it agin on the scroll? What provinces is the AI refering to when they offer a peace agreement?

Are you smart enough to remember all those names and where they are located?

If there were regions it would be different.

You're making the assumption that the HoI2 system should be used.

It should not.

A drag & drop/select system would be much better. Remember, it's the EU3 engine - think how the province setup worked in that (if you've played it) - only an expanded version.

...Strategic warfare, we already mentioned that strategic warfare can be used to lower national unity. It is now perfectly feasible to bomb Rotterdam and induce the Dutch to surrender. Basically uncontested strategic warfare will lower national unity. Note with the surrender logic being what it is bombing a country that still holds all its provinces (say like bombing Ploesti in Romania) won’t actually make the country surrender, you still need troops on the ground. However it will make the country become more vulnerable to surrender, meaning it won’t hold on as long once things start to go bad. Basically strategic warfare sort of works like this, each successful attack reduces national unity, each defence increases national unity.

Does strategic warfare consist of more than just bombing (e.g. naval blockades, where appropriate)? Because if it involves nothing more than just a [conventional] bombing campaign, it would be fairly ahistorical.

The Allies were mistaken in believing that bombing Germany around the clock would force a popular uprising in Germany, only to be proven wrong as the people continued to persevere. Germany believed the same thing in the Battle of Britain, but the British had their 'finest hour'. The US had to resort not to one, but two atomic weapons before the Japanese finally capitulated.

I'm all for gameplay, but not at the expense of history altogether.

The lack of surrender negotiations is rather frightening i imagine myself having to fight endlessly vs exiled british government,i usually conquer Britain in late 1940 in HOI3 it appears i`ll be fighting with them till 1948 with the USA joining the losing side just for the fun of it.
Another think just imagine i`m not in an alliance neither is my enemy where would the government in exile go,can`t i just annex the fully conquered nation? :confused:

ps:i truly can`t understand the reason of not including peace deals,NOBODY and i really mean NOBODY ever declared war with the intention of just fighting endlessly.

My bet the middle one is related to land warfare.
So it could be something like the amount of enemy troops in your country compared to yours (including your allies), and/or something that factors the control of the territory.
Or even it could be tied to the amount of IC controlled by the enemy, it's the strategic par of the warfare after all.

Yeah, you may be right.
But my bet is based on the assumtion, that if it's land warfare based, the icon will represent tanks or infantry or artillery. So with these flags, it's more probably a summary of all things, or represent the effect of your policies.

Does strategic warfare consist of more than just bombing (e.g. naval blockades, where appropriate)? Because if it involves nothing more than just a [conventional] bombing campaign, it would be fairly ahistorical.

The Allies were mistaken in believing that bombing Germany around the clock would force a popular uprising in Germany, only to be proven wrong as the people continued to persevere. Germany believed the same thing in the Battle of Britain, but the British had their 'finest hour'. The US had to resort not to one, but two atomic weapons before the Japanese finally capitulated.

I'm all for gameplay, but not at the expense of history altogether.

you need to read the dev diary again. and specifically the part you quoted.

It is based at the capital of the faction leader.
So what happens if a country breaks another one within the same faction? I assume you mean factions as communists, fascists etc and not the alliances themselves. I guess an austrian goverment wouldnt go to Berlin if Germany decided to do it the hard way :p

If they are overseas then you need to take them one by one.

I'm sorry because I don't get it. If a country rules even small islands it will not be beaten until the very last piece of rock will be conquered?

One more question: what about the unpredictability of the history that you wanted to bring in the game/engine? Maybe a more realistic (less fanatic?) Churchill would surrender after the French defeat.

Finally why a country should “by default” surrender only if all the land is conquered? De Gaulle was nicknamed by Churchill “Charle sans terre” and at the end of the war he got some.

Last edited: