• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Makes no difference, there was still a goverment in exile in England.
The king was considered 'in no position to rule the belgians'.

This is one thing that would be accuratly portrayed in HoI3. The germans defeat the belgian army in europe, national unity collapses, a goverment in exile is formed. The goverment in exile keeps control of Congo. Germany occupies belgium.

Are you sure about that? It seems to me that if you loose the national unity you surrender that's it. If, instead, you have a high national unity, as you said, a government in exile is formed. So in the case of Belgium the national unity should be very high because I cannot see so much IC in Congo.

PS

I think that you opened a door on the "fake" governements in exile like Free French. They had no land (almost) and no representativity (in 1940).

Makes no difference, there was still a goverment in exile in England.
The king was considered 'in no position to rule the belgians'.

This is one thing that would be accuratly portrayed in HoI3. The germans defeat the belgian army in europe, national unity collapses, a goverment in exile is formed. The goverment in exile keeps control of Congo. Germany occupies belgium.

Newerthless Kings decision led hall Belgium army to lay down its weapons and surrender,leaving vacuum around Anglo-French armies that suddenly found themselves enveloped by Germans.from military point of view classic surrender and capitulation.

So exile government-Yes.
Imidiate capitulation of hall Belgium army in europe-allso Yes.

So we have true fact-there can be capitulation and parallel to that forming of Exile government,atualy that allmost allways was the case-one patriotic fraction forms exile government.

Are you sure about that? It seems to me that if you loose the national unity you surrender that's it. If, instead, you have a high national unity, as you said, a government in exile is formed. So in the case of Belgium the national unity should be very high because I cannot see so much IC in Congo.

I'm very sure.

but in general if a country’s national unity breaks then all provinces that have been captured or are linked to the capital are occupied and remainder fights on with the government in exile.

I'm very sure.

So you are right and this means that if your country rules (among other provinces) a rock in the ocean you can still fight until your rock will be conquered. Do you think that this is reasonable?

but in general if a country’s national unity breaks then all provinces that have been captured or are linked to the capital are occupied and remainder fights on with the government in exile.
Yeah, this seems very sensible, and should model Belgium, France and the Netherlands quite realistically.

It would also be cool to see the British capital change to Delhi or somewhere if the British Isles are occupied.

Mind you, realistically speaking I'd expect to see the Germans release a British puppet soon afterward. One thing I disliked about all three factions' AI in vanilla HoI2 (though it was rectified in certain mods) was that when nations were conquered they generally remained occupied until 'liberated' by another faction.

It would be nice to see nations released as puppets from time to time, so they could fight alongside their alliance leader. :)

So you are right and this means that if your country rules (among other provinces) a rock in the ocean you can still fight until your rock will be conquered. Do you think that this is reasonable?

What did poland have left? They didn't even have a rock, but they still fielded an armoured division at the end of the war.

What did poland have left? They didn't even have a rock, but they still fielded an armoured division at the end of the war.

Poland had a stone in the Sussex ;)

Yes,with the mention that the said division was equipped with British equipment. Without the UK,no division.

And British were equipped with USA equipment.

Minor correction " also equipped". True,and your point is?

My point is like this point
Yes,with the mention that the said division was equipped with British equipment. Without the UK,no division.

The exiled governments were
1) "fake" (like a puppet)
2) representative and legitimate (like Poland)
3) not representative and nor legitimate (like Free French in 1940)

The point is that a country when is beaten may surrender because is beaten. That's all.

The point is that a country may be beaten on the ground or may be beaten because it realize that the odds are unfavourable.

Then there's a misunderstanding. I quoted Zeekater who said something like "It doesn't matter if one lost all his territory, one can still field and armored division" and I added " provided they have great powers as allies".

If the rock is populated, the local administrators on the rock have little reason to start obeying orders of the conquerer if for some reason (like naval blockade by other enemies) the conquerer can't project power as far as the rock. If the conquerer sets up a puppet government in the homeland, then maybe the local administration accepts it's authority. Otherwise, why accept the authority of foriegn invaders who can't get at you?

Though we know how things will be set in HOI III, and I dont think is bad solution,still here is my view about"perfect"solution:

After capitulation there should be some possibility of creation of 2 new governments for every capitulated country:

1.Exile free government-created as should be in HOI III.
2.Colaborationist government-created if wanted by ocupator or by historical event.

Those 2 governments than should have mechanism of polithical competition to gain support of nation.
Practicaly,if those 2 govrnments are formed, capitulated nation enters the state of civil war with one side on Allied and other on Axis example.
Exile government will have high national unity but in example of Netherlands low resources on disposal.Colaboracionist government will have resources but low national unity.

Last edited:
The new system seems ok.

I've got one problem though.

For those playing as Japan. We all know that Japan's entire battleplan against the US was to cripple the US Pacific Fleet and eventually force the US to accept peace terms when the war became too costly for them.

Now we all know now that this would never have happened after Pearl Harbor.

However, it stands to reason that there should be a way to make nations grow wary of war and seek a peace agreement if the war becomes too much for the people to stomach or if the government running the country changes.

Japan never had the capability or the desire to invade and conquer the mainland of the United States, so how can anyone expect to win a war as Japan if they bomb Pearl Harbor?

If the rock is populated, the local administrators on the rock have little reason to start obeying orders of the conquerer if for some reason (like naval blockade by other enemies) the conquerer can't project power as far as the rock. If the conquerer sets up a puppet government in the homeland, then maybe the local administration accepts it's authority. Otherwise, why accept the authority of foriegn invaders who can't get at you?

Because your legal government surrended.

The new system seems ok.

I've got one problem though.

For those playing as Japan. We all know that Japan's entire battleplan against the US was to cripple the US Pacific Fleet and eventually force the US to accept peace terms when the war became too costly for them.

Now we all know now that this would never have happened after Pearl Harbor.

However, it stands to reason that there should be a way to make nations grow wary of war and seek a peace agreement if the war becomes too much for the people to stomach or if the government running the country changes.

Japan never had the capability or the desire to invade and conquer the mainland of the United States, so how can anyone expect to win a war as Japan if they bomb Pearl Harbor?

That is a good point.

Attrition, especially naval attrition, should be part of strategic warfare.

I agree that manpower losses should be part of strategic warfare as is strategic air bombardment and sea-lane interdiction.

Thus,losing the carrier fleet should count as "Strategic losses", on par with with the choking of the convoy routes.

The basic Japanese rationale was sound but far,far too ambitious. Victory as Japan vs the US should be possible, but the Japanese player would need many ahistorical victories,especially naval, to induce sufficient war-weariness to the US because the US is basically a giant when compared to Japan.

Because your legal government surrended.

And the rock 'revolted' claiming the legal government did not have the right to surrender (i.e. the Belgian govt in exile)

Although in the case of belgium it was a rainforest, not a rock

That is a good point.

The basic Japanese rationale was sound but far,far too ambitious. Victory as Japan vs the US should be possible, but the Japanese player would need many ahistorical victories,especially naval, to induce sufficient war-weariness to the US because the US is basically a giant when compared to Japan.

One of the problems with Japan in game is that we cant have ,however unlikely,any chance of what -if"perfect"Pearl Harbour atack.
I mean ,"perfect" Japan idea of Pearl Harbour was if somehow US aircraft carriers were in the herbour during atack. Japan will rule the Pacific securely at least until 1943.There will be no Midway.Though ahistorical,such thing could happend if Japan atacked Pearl in some other time.But player cant make such lucky blow,isnt it?

Last edited:
And the rock 'revolted' claiming the legal government did not have the right to surrender (i.e. the Belgian govt in exile)

Although in the case of belgium it was a rainforest, not a rock

Sure in war time all may happen but we are supposing that by "default" a rock will revolt. Moreover please read above about JAP.