• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What I most liked about Hoi was the ability to play what-if scenarios, to go ahistorical ways but still stay realistic. This does't mean Tibet conquer the world scenarios, but, for example, play germany with hitler assasinated 1938 or play a stalinist france etc. I think, the ability to go for limited war aims for smaller conflicts, to isolate countries and to get limeted achievements was one of hoi's most interesting features. If this is really not an april fools joke, this dev diary really makes me think again, if I should buy Hoi 3.
I'm too giving a very serious second though about if I will buy HoI3 or not because of this.

No longer will the Anschluss event fire on the 1st of March 1938 there is now a certain amount of uncertainty

So, small question -- does this mean the flight of Rudolph Hess won't occur, either? What events would have to happen to let that occur? Or, how about the death of Roosevelt?

Just curious.

So, small question -- does this mean the flight of Rudolph Hess won't occur, either? What events would have to happen to let that occur? Or, how about the death of Roosevelt?

Just curious.
I'd assume that such events would occur. They were, after all, hardly policy choices like the Anschluss was so the player should have no control over them. :p

Maybe Paradox will realize that many people don't like this new system and claim it was a joke even if it wasn't intended to be one =P

Sounds fairly realistic to me that you cannot annex nations, but I hope that the national unity is based on the whole alliance not just one country because let's say every Axis country except Finland is all but destroyed, should they keep fighting even though they are practically alone against USA, UK and Soviet? Doesn't seem realistic.

Ah yes, I was just trying to guess based on how much "national unity" it gave the Soviets historically: Even though Stalin was paranoid, he did have a reason for doing it, but in my limited historical knowledge the damage it did far outweighed the benefits (again, speaking historically). If they balance it out, it will probably be ahistorical, though I would support it.
Interesting choice. Do you want a high national unity score, or a high leadership rating. Do you risk your units shattering or your nation surrendering?

I don't really need surrender options that much. I'd rather they use more time on features I use, like it seems they do.

I have a question about governments in exile. If a neutral is attacked by a neutral and overrun, where does the govt. in exile flee? Do they all go to London? What is the situation for non-faction conflict? Particularly this applies to Sth America, but also the Balkans etc.

I'm very afraid of this peace system. It doesn't sound good at all, specially for medium and minor countries. I'm still hoping it is an april's 1st joke.

For those who think it's an April Fool's joke:
fz07aq9.jpg

Note how there is no diplomatic option called 'peace negotiations' or anything of that sort.

As I've mentioned in another thread I don't understand what the problem is. There weren't that many peace negotiations during this era that transferred few provinces from one country to another. Ones that did happen and the ones plausible will be in the game via events. It's so much better than HoI2 where you can just puppet another country and their entire army that fought against you will all of sudden turn into zombie minions fighting for your cause.

For those who think it's an April Fool's joke:
It's so much better than HoI2 where you can just puppet another country and their entire army that fought against you will all of sudden turn into zombie minions fighting for your cause.

*cough* Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania *cough*

Note how there is no diplomatic option called 'peace negotiations' or anything of that sort.

Why would you be able to negotiate peace with a country which you haven't declared war on? :confused:

Johan,
When you and your team have finished creating the greatest computer game of all time, you do plan to retire? What could you possibly do to top this? You guys rock! Thanks for working to make a great game series even better! Keep up the good work.

From the States,
Justin Rocco

*cough* Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania *cough*
That's where events come into play.

It's way better than the uber China puppet with 100 loyal divisions fighting for the Japanese Emperor which the HoI2 peace option allowed.

Why would you be able to negotiate peace with a country which you haven't declared war on? :confused:
Peace treaty button would be greyed out much like how the DoW button is greyed out in the screenshot no?

Last edited:
Johan,
When you and your team have finished creating the greatest computer game of all time, you do plan to retire? What could you possibly do to top this? You guys rock! Thanks for working to make a great game series even better! Keep up the good work.

From the States,
Justin Rocco

EU4 perhaps? Or Vicky 2:D

Anyway, it is seriously on its way to become a great game!

Sounds fairly realistic to me that you cannot annex nations, but I hope that the national unity is based on the whole alliance not just one country because let's say every Axis country except Finland is all but destroyed, should they keep fighting even though they are practically alone against USA, UK and Soviet? Doesn't seem realistic.

It will most likely be country based, but don't forget the governments in exile and the fact that your allies would send troops to help defend you and by extension keep national unity up.

Also, notice the levels of control of Nazi puppets? This bodes well for modders who could make make a British Raj nation.

Peace treaty button would be greyed out much like how the DoW button is greyed out in the screenshot no?

Military access options are the only ones that cost less than $53. ;)