• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rather than the AI's being suicidal and constantly attacking, there needs to be a point at which they know they are beat and are act accordingly.

Agree with this. I like the concept of unity being in place and how it can be affected but not the current effects of it. Especially not the ones on diplomacy. Is that PI covering up that their diplomatic AI has a somewhat doubtful reputation since EU3? ;)

I think Goebbels should be added in as Minister of Propaganda. He was a important figure in all of this.

Yep, he should give a bonus to national unity! :)

to explain it in clear terms.

National Unity = Percentage of IC that needs to be occupied by enemy to force surrender events.

So if the national unity is 10 I need to conquer 10% percent of the enemy’s IC to beat it. Is that correct?

Does the event (the surrender) fire automatically or it does with some probability after having hit the trigger (e.g. the above mentioned 10% of IC)?

I think Goebbels should be added in as Minister of Propaganda. He was a important figure in all of this.
Agree a Gov Spokesman (in authocratic countries Minister of Propaganda) could be a nice addition.
Rather than the AI's being suicidal and constantly attacking, there needs to be a point at which they know they are beat and are act accordingly.
Thats a good point. Right now it was controlled by odds in AI files determinating when divisions attack. I would like to have another dimension: Offense, Defence etc which would impact the AIs reaction.

Historically fine no peace negotiations with the majors, but what about alternative history, what happens if hitler assasination is achieved? an event for peace independently of the game conquered territories?

What if I chage the politics and get rid of Hitler?

And specially for the minors,... that takes fun out

These are occupation policies, the lighter your occupation policy the more manpower you draw, but you get less resources, IC and partisans you get. You can change them at any time but the partisans take a while to adjust to the new occupation policy. So this means that resistance takes time to organise itself and just because you stop exploiting the people won't mean all the partisans suddenly decide to go home and be good people.

Will there be assimilation? Like gaining cores in EU3 or something to that nature?

Will there be assimilation? Like gaining cores in EU3 or something to that nature?

I see what you're thinking, but considering that it took 25(?) years to gain a core in EU3 it would be entirely reasonable that the occupied province would continue resistance throughout the war. For example, if you conquered a province in 1936 it would not has assimilated until 1961, long after the scope of the game.

Maybe a solution would be that only neutrals countries can get peace treaties, while the 3 factions fights unitl the bitter end (or until an event finish the war)

This seems like a really good idea. That could be the disadvantage of joining an alliance-you have to fight until the end.

No. There aren't province cultures in the HoI series, but there are territory claims, but they rarely change other than through event.

I doubt this will be different in HoI3.

On the flip side, you don't have bad boy or stability hits when you declare war. If you are a democracy you simply cannot declare war or join the alliance of someone who is currently in a war.

As the USSR and Germany you could basically declare war on everyone on day one, but its hard to win that way ;)

I see what you're thinking, but considering that it took 25(?) years to gain a core in EU3 it would be entirely reasonable that the occupied province would continue resistance throughout the war. For example, if you conquered a province in 1936 it would not has assimilated until 1961, long after the scope of the game.

/sigh, people always ruining my fun. Just want everyone to accept the Soviet Union! I wonder if there is a way to bring them into the Soviet Union as a Soviet Republic or something? So you can have the Ukraine as a country underneath you BUT has the potential to be more independent, now that'd be something!

I, for one, would just like to show a vote of confidence for the new surrender system. While I generally play the major countries, I have only used a non-annexation option once, and that was as China. The new system of either breaking national unity or complete conquest is a far better (although certainly not perfect) system for simulating the majority of the war. Peace options for the non-aligned (those not in an alliance) would be nice, but for the big countries the special surrenders and the new system will be perfect, in my opinion.

I like this new system. I play HOI3 as a war game, not an international political simulation, so some of these details like surrender negotiations, etc, matter little to me.

The amount that can be modded looks impressive - I think this potential will prove to make many of the present doubting thomases in the end quite satisfied.

FWIW, I also like the new system. The AI could never manage the surrender screen, and I suspect that is why it is gone, in addition to the historical logic. I particularly like the fact that when Germany occupies Britain it will get a real surrender of those territories. :)

I suspect that the Soviets willl probably want to purge your army first to remove the last possible centre of opposition if they were to want high national unity.
I'm hopeful that Paradox will make that decision relatively balanced such that a player is not heavily penalized for choosing not to purge.

Last edited:
I suspect Soviets (or maybe even the entire Comintern members) have high national unity thresholds and the ability to even move their capital.

I suspect that the Soviets willl probably want to purge your army first to remove the last possible centre of opposition if they were to want high national unity.

YES! Finally a good reason (well at least a semi-reasonable reason) for the purge!

I'm hopeful that Paradox will make that decision relatively balanced such that a player is not heavily penalized for choosing not to purge.

An interesting dilemma- the amount of national unity gained relative to the skilled officers killed is almost certainly not worth it, but it was an extremely important part of the war-should it be forced on the player for historical accuracy, or should we allow the player to be logical and bypass it, making for an ahistorically more powerful Soviet Union (like they needed the help).

I'm not sure...

I like this new system. I play HOI3 as a war game, not an international political simulation, so some of these details like surrender negotiations, etc, matter little to me.

The amount that can be modded looks impressive - I think this potential will prove to make many of the present doubting thomases in the end quite satisfied.

I agree with you gunnergoz. I usually play the 36 scenario and fight the whole war out. I do try to change the outcome, but within the scope of total war, win or die.

An interesting dilemma- the amount of national unity gained relative to the skilled officers killed is almost certainly not worth it, but it was an extremely important part of the war-should it be forced on the player for historical accuracy, or should we allow the player to be logical and bypass it, making for an ahistorically more powerful Soviet Union (like they needed the help).

I'm not sure...

You don't know how much national unity that event will grant to SU. You can balance it out and make it into a very difficult decision...

And I don't see how it cannot be simulated through surrender events. :confused:

Certainly it can - I was just answering the other guy's question about whether there were any negotiated peace settlements during the time frame of the game. Didn't mean to give offense.

to explain it in clear terms.

National Unity = Percentage of IC that needs to be occupied by enemy to force surrender events.

Interesting. So if you write a separate peace event, then this event will fire instead of the regular "occupy all that is linked to the capital" event. That way I could get any peace agreement, I desire. Correct?

Will it be possible to write separate surrender events for different amount of IC captured (e.g. at 50% I may chose to peace out for some provinces only or I may carry on for another event to fire after capturing some more IC)?

Further on this subject: National Unity of 0 means that I only have to march troops into the country, independent of whether I actually capture any IC, to make it surrender. Is this correct or is there maybe a "Base IC" which need to be occupied in any case or will I need to capture the capital?

And the final question: Will IC captured by separate nations be added, so that one nation will, so to say, break the camel's back and fire the surrender event? And which country will receive the surrendered provinces? The one with more captured IC, the one firing the event or the one occupying the capital?