+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #22 - 1st of April 2009

DiplomacyEU3 CompleteVictoria: RevolutionsRome: Vae Victis

I like this new system. I play HOI3 as a war game, not an international political simulation, so some of these details like surrender negotiations, etc, matter little to me.

The amount that can be modded looks impressive - I think this potential will prove to make many of the present doubting thomases in the end quite satisfied.

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

Blog Entries
    FWIW, I also like the new system. The AI could never manage the surrender screen, and I suspect that is why it is gone, in addition to the historical logic. I particularly like the fact that when Germany occupies Britain it will get a real surrender of those territories.

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    I suspect that the Soviets willl probably want to purge your army first to remove the last possible centre of opposition if they were to want high national unity.
    I'm hopeful that Paradox will make that decision relatively balanced such that a player is not heavily penalized for choosing not to purge.
    Last edited by bbasgen; 01-04-2009 at 22:51.
    "All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu, Ping Fa.

Paradoxian Wiki Network:
    HoI 3 | HoI 2 | EU3 | EU2 | Vicky | Vicky 2

On forum hiatus since 2013

Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by vertinox View Post
    I suspect Soviets (or maybe even the entire Comintern members) have high national unity thresholds and the ability to even move their capital.
    I suspect that the Soviets willl probably want to purge your army first to remove the last possible centre of opposition if they were to want high national unity.
    YES! Finally a good reason (well at least a semi-reasonable reason) for the purge!

Quote Originally Posted by bbasgen View Post
    I'm hopeful that Paradox will make that decision relatively balanced such that a player is not heavily penalized for choosing not to purge.
    An interesting dilemma- the amount of national unity gained relative to the skilled officers killed is almost certainly not worth it, but it was an extremely important part of the war-should it be forced on the player for historical accuracy, or should we allow the player to be logical and bypass it, making for an ahistorically more powerful Soviet Union (like they needed the help).

I'm not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    I like this new system. I play HOI3 as a war game, not an international political simulation, so some of these details like surrender negotiations, etc, matter little to me.

The amount that can be modded looks impressive - I think this potential will prove to make many of the present doubting thomases in the end quite satisfied.
    I agree with you gunnergoz. I usually play the 36 scenario and fight the whole war out. I do try to change the outcome, but within the scope of total war, win or die.

Quote Originally Posted by X=17 View Post
    An interesting dilemma- the amount of national unity gained relative to the skilled officers killed is almost certainly not worth it, but it was an extremely important part of the war-should it be forced on the player for historical accuracy, or should we allow the player to be logical and bypass it, making for an ahistorically more powerful Soviet Union (like they needed the help).

I'm not sure...
    You don't know how much national unity that event will grant to SU. You can balance it out and make it into a very difficult decision...

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    And I don't see how it cannot be simulated through surrender events.
    Certainly it can - I was just answering the other guy's question about whether there were any negotiated peace settlements during the time frame of the game. Didn't mean to give offense.
    "God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids." - Gen. Jack Ripper (Dr. Strangelove, 1963)

"There is really only one way to look at war, and that is through the eyes of the men who fought it. You gain little by going to the high peaks where the plans are made, where regiments of men are only blocks of fire power; you gain little except that sense of absolute power which, as Lord Acton said, absolutely corrupts. It is better to stay down where your fellow men stayed, close to the earth and the terror. For the truth of war is there, among solitary human beings who have no possessions except their lives." - Laurence Critchell, Four Stars of Hell (New York: Ballantine Books, 1947)

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    to explain it in clear terms.

National Unity = Percentage of IC that needs to be occupied by enemy to force surrender events.
    Interesting. So if you write a separate peace event, then this event will fire instead of the regular "occupy all that is linked to the capital" event. That way I could get any peace agreement, I desire. Correct?

Will it be possible to write separate surrender events for different amount of IC captured (e.g. at 50% I may chose to peace out for some provinces only or I may carry on for another event to fire after capturing some more IC)?

Further on this subject: National Unity of 0 means that I only have to march troops into the country, independent of whether I actually capture any IC, to make it surrender. Is this correct or is there maybe a "Base IC" which need to be occupied in any case or will I need to capture the capital?

And the final question: Will IC captured by separate nations be added, so that one nation will, so to say, break the camel's back and fire the surrender event? And which country will receive the surrendered provinces? The one with more captured IC, the one firing the event or the one occupying the capital?
    ReadAAR of the Mongol Week 30.10.2009 - 01.12.2009 in Thundergate's hilarious "The WRAITH of KHAN! All AARe mine!" (long week, wasn't it?)

Paradoxian Idol - The Musical AAR that needs YOU!

Under Jolly Tenno - A hymn to Remble's excellent AAR "The Setting Sun - Gotterdämmerung, Japan 1944"

Quote Originally Posted by otacu View Post
    You don't know how much national unity that event will grant to SU. You can balance it out and make it into a very difficult decision...
    Ah yes, I was just trying to guess based on how much "national unity" it gave the Soviets historically: Even though Stalin was paranoid, he did have a reason for doing it, but in my limited historical knowledge the damage it did far outweighed the benefits (again, speaking historically). If they balance it out, it will probably be ahistorical, though I would support it.

I find this weird. Not every country had the chance to continue as a government in exile.

If you as Germany invaded Great Britian from all sides and conquer it within a week there is no way the UK can continue on the war as a government in exile as the whole government would have been captured and probably killed. I mean, historically Denmark for example didn't continue as a government in exile. Your saying now they can?

I thought the whole idea of this game was to make it a-historical? I mean, it seems like you made all the things that need to look historical random now(like anschluss event not firing on March 1st 1938 like it did historically) while you make all the things that you should be able to come randomly now only have one option(the fact you won't be able to demand peace or beg for it, just total warfare too the end and nothing else.)

I've got a bad feeling.
    The Axis Win AAR (complete) : http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=287716
    Mao Zedong gets the last laugh AAR(complete): http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...73#post7448673
    Mao gets the last laugh again!(complete):http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=333488
    No Thanksgiving for Turkey AAR(abandoned, due to technical issues):http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...44#post9036344

"They're not shooting me for deserting the United States Army -- thousands of guys have done that. They're shooting me for that bread I stole when I was 12 years old" -last words of Private Eddie Slovik January 31st 1945

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

I will be interested to see how national unity and different levels of control play out with United Kingdom. I am assuming that there is a specific level of control that matches UK-India relationship. It will be really interesting to not only see what it is, but to read some AAR games in which UK decides to modify the relationship to get more IC out of India.

I'm also hoping that the UK provinces make sense for national unity purposes. It wouldn't feel right for Germany to use subs to reduce the national unity to 20%, and then go conquor Egypt and/or parts of India and force a UK surrender.

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldVictoria 2V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    Hoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by X=17 View Post
    I see what you're thinking, but considering that it took 25(?) years to gain a core in EU3 it would be entirely reasonable that the occupied province would continue resistance throughout the war. For example, if you conquered a province in 1936 it would not has assimilated until 1961, long after the scope of the game.
    In EU3 it was 50 years even.

Quote Originally Posted by BiB View Post
    In EU3 it was 50 years even.
    The only solution is to make the war last longer, lol, jk! But yeah, I was just hoping for a way to make the ruling party popular which there probably is, so assimiliation by means of ideaology as opposed to culture, language, and religion, y'know? I don't mind what you speak as long as you believe in the common good
    1 Clerk
    Nationality: European/British
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Liberalism/European Federalist
    Issues: Free Trade/Atheism
    Militancy: 2 (-0.01)
    Consciousness: 10 (+0.12)

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper Fi500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Worst news ever!

What I most liked about Hoi was the ability to play what-if scenarios, to go ahistorical ways but still stay realistic. This does't mean Tibet conquer the world scenarios, but, for example, play germany with hitler assasinated 1938 or play a stalinist france etc. I think, the ability to go for limited war aims for smaller conflicts, to isolate countries and to get limeted achievements was one of hoi's most interesting features. If this is really not an april fools joke, this dev diary really makes me think again, if I should buy Hoi 3.

like this much better, i never liked having to wait a yr to make a change , then forget what date was the 1yr anv. miss it and have to wait another year

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Note there are no surrender negotiations in Hearts of Iron 3, World War II is total warfare and is fought to the finish. We have special events for specific surrenders, like the forming of Vichy France, but in general if a country’s national unity breaks then all provinces that have been captured or are linked to the capital are occupied and remainder fights on with the government in exile.
    This seems very wrong? So there is no way to have peace negotiations outside of events, for any countries? Or is it only for the major three alliances?

Because while "the war" might have been a "total war", there were other conflicts during the period (Ecuador-Peru for example) that were not. And many mods have wars between middling power that are not "total wars". Please don't say there is no way besides events/annexation to end wars (granted, peace negotiations in HOI2 weren't exactly useful, but with the new AI...). That would limit the game a whole lot mod-wise.
    "How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct." - Benjamin Disraeli

"Morality may consist solely in the courage of making a choice." - Leon Blum

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Very cool. I am excited. I am unsure about the negotiations thing. I don't use it much, but it seems to free up the abiltiy for the game to include other things when some of the win or lose is hardwired?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

there is indeed no longer a demand proinces screen of any sort.
    So they only way to demonstrate "special circumstances" like Czechoslovakia and the Baltic State is now through event? And I thought HOI3 was supposed to be less event based, but I guess they've made now made all territory changes need events. An unfortunate position to hardcode considering all its does is stifle creativity and mods...
    "How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct." - Benjamin Disraeli

"Morality may consist solely in the courage of making a choice." - Leon Blum

I think a lot of you guys are forgetting events. there may be events partialy through you steamrolling into russia/china/usa that may allow you to choose a partial/early peace. you don't have to accept it but it may give you the option of it.

1)I broken the morale of a country:every province not occupied by enemy troops will be mine or there are other rules like land connection?
    2)I just broken the country leader:the capital will be moved in the new leader of the alliance I suppose,how the game decide the new leader?By IC?
    3)The remnants of the exile government will give IC to the leader?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast