• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One girl, two guys. But like a stick is between the aforementioned guys which makes guy number one have a ponytail.

And this "ponytail guy" likes to wear purple bras under that white top too? And if you look closely you can see a white thin string running across the shoulder of the person in the back which could be part of an girls summer top or that sort of thing, which could lead to the fact that there were three freakin' girls.

I was in Luxemburg last October. Quite a nice rich city.
And the nation is not that small really. Although it looks to be so on the map. :p
It's far from being a city state.

yeah, because the city is also small:rofl:

And this "ponytail guy" likes to wear purple bras under that white top too? And if you look closely you can see a white thin string running across the shoulder of the person in the back which could be part of an girls summer top or that sort of thing, which could lead to the fact that there were three freakin' girls.

Your powers of observation are unsurpassed :D Of course we don't know what Vince and Laurence like to wear while hiking.

Aah, North-Americans :). Yet again you fail to see that even a dot the size of a pinhead on a world map is still a lot of land when you get there. Luxembourg has at least 20-40 towns, with Luxembourg being the main city. Note that the bordering Belgian province is also called Luxembourg, the country Luxembourg is known as the Grand Duchy Luxembourg.

-Vincent[/I]

Oi! By city I meant city, I have studied the geography of Luxembourg and I know that there are at least 2 towns on each road branching from Lux. proper.

Beleive me, I know the meaning of size on a map. The Province I live in is about a 5th/6th the size of tiny Belguim, and yet it still takes 12 hours to drive from one end to the next.

The vast distance stereotype isnt really well developed for all North Americans . For instance: the area I live in is part of the Canadian Maritimes, we have an all right population density to cope with a small region that we live in.

An area like Saskatchewan is slightly larger then France,Germany and Benelux combined but yet has around 700,000 people.

Your powers of observation are unsurpassed :D Of course we don't know what Vince and Laurence like to wear while hiking.

Hey! At least it's comfy :p

Nah, j/k. If I recall correctly, there was a group of three women and one guy sitting by the tank, but we ourselves are not on this picture Afterwards, we took a peek inside but it looks like the tank had been disabled in the war, We saw several holes piercing all the way through the fist-thick armour that seemed to have melted (yes, melted) their way through, and a single hole straight through the barrel Laurence believes this was welded, and a method of sabotaging tanks. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Edit by Laurence:
My favorite out fir while hiking consists out of normal running shoes, a casual pants, a set of silver trimmed platemail, and most importantly, a Mexican hat.

About the Sherman, it was clear that the frontal armor was breached by some sort of AP round, other than that there wasn't much damage, besides a small hole that has been melted into the barrel of it's main gun, I assume that was done by the Germans to render the tank useless should it be retaken.

Oi! By city I meant city, I have studied the geography of Luxembourg and I know that there are at least 2 towns on each road branching from Lux. proper.

Beleive me, I know the meaning of size on a map. The Province I live in is about a 5th/6th the size of tiny Belguim, and yet it still takes 12 hours to drive from one end to the next.

Quoi? Do you live on top of a mountain or something? It takes maybe 3.5 hours to get through Belgium in with, 4.5-5 in length (assuming you're going to take your time. If you really want, you can race out of the country from any point in less than two hours). Luxembourg can be passed fairly quickly by highway aswell, maybe 40 mins, assuming you're not getting stuck in traffic.

-Vincent

Last edited:
Oh, here's a small bonus: A message from the futAAR!

...“They were arcing. I remeber seeing them fly high up into the air. Grey smoke trails. Then they came down.”
“That is when the projectiles hit the Mogadishu?”

*Lieutenant shows strained symptons. Observing doctor notes that the lieutenant may suffer from post-traumatic stress*

“A total of five missiles slammed into the Mogadishu. Their aim was perfect. Two took out the bridge, the other three...”
“The other three?”
“Pierced through the carrier deck and hit the ammunitions and fuel depots. Within seconds, a brutal explosion snapped the carrier in half.”...

Note that from 1945 onwards, technology will play a large role in the AAR. We've allowed ourselves to expand a bit beyond the standard technological timeline and will go as far as early Vietnam-era tech. This means jet fighters (hell yeah!), stealth subs (Oooh baby!), helicopters (hello!) and many others :)

-I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... like victory

-Vincent

December

victorygeratlantic4.jpg
As blizzards began to raze over the North-Atlantic Sea, German Uboats suddenly found themselves at an advantage, heavy weather eliminating the threat of air raids. By Donitz’s orders, Uboat detachments began working in tandam with Kriegsmarine surface fleets to raid Allied warships. Many US fleets found themselves at a disadvantage in winter, as they were equipped with more sophisticated and thus more fragile scanners, prone to malfunction.

Another novelty in submarine warfare was the deployment of one of the first inventions to come from the Geneva Instititute, the Class XXII Submarine or simply ‘Elektroboot’

elektroboot.jpg
This new class of submarine was much more combat-effective while submerged, and radically changed the outlook of naval warfare: Allied commanders quickly realized they would need better scanners, or risk falling prey to superior German submarines. Elektroboot numbers were limited in the beginning, but the Northern German shipyards worked around the clock to provide more ships for the Kriegsmarine Ubootflotte, which were being deployed both in the Pacific and in the Atlantic. In Geneva, Chancellor Van Geyte himself ordered research into a new type of submarine, one that would be capable of firing long-range missiles to be able to perform devastating and covert strikes without being limited to airports and plane range. It was an idea as mad as it was brilliant.

On the 21st of December 1944, USN fleets first encountered the effectiveness of next-generation submarine warfare.

------​

The following events took place December 21, 1944, aboard the USS Republic (Gibbs Fracture East)

1:00 AM, the 21st of December. Two days before Christmas.

Grand Admiral Farragut sat in the bridge, substituting sleep for studying tactical plans. Constant storms, like the one tonight bore down upon the fleet, rocking mighty carriers back and forth as immeasurable waves crashed open upon the deck while rain poured down in quantities Farragut had never seen before. Good god, the rain. While razorsharp winds howled in every hallway, Farragut pondered the last days. Although the weather had been horrible, the USN 9th Fleet had managed to gain some hallmark victories: Last week they had managed to sink no less than nine German battleships, along with a handfull of destroyers and cruisers. Still, it was hard to sleep out in hostile seas, where even lumbering beasts of steel and engines were silenced and hidden by the feral weather. It was practically impossible to spot enemy fleets in this weather, disturbing the Grand Admiral’s peace of mind. Indecisively, Farragut closed the map he had been watching and moved out of his room.

The hallways were eerily dark and silent, as many sailors had taken to their bunks. The only men awake in the ships now were night-time staff and navigational personnel, attempting to manouevre the fleet safely out of this endless storm. Absently, the Grand Admiral took his naval hat from a locker and moved to the bridge.

Silently, the men observed the information their sonars were passing on. They had to be silent now, silent as the night. The only thing reminding them of their own humanity were their own vague appearances in the dim red light, and the urge for sleep that made it hard for the men to concentrate. With a muffled creaking sound, a lock was removed and a large, impressively decorated official entered the room. It was obvious the captain was unnerved being up this late into the night, but this was indeed a chance alike no other.
The cool and claustrophobic cabin felt oddly active as sailors and machinists moved through the cabins exchanging files and pointing out thing on a map. Several men were observing meters attached to hundreds of pipings, looking for a sign of an anomaly they would probably never find.

“All stand” By his tone, it was obvious Farragut’s second-in-command did not feel like performing the usual rituals tonight. While some made faint attempts at saluting the captain, Farragut waved away their greetings
“Please people, it’s too late for that. What’s the news?”
It was a question intended more to keep the Admiral occupied than to actually gather information. Of course there was no news: They were sailing head-first through a massive storm, while the freezing wind and rain disabled all their sonar and scanning equipment.
“The usual. Sonar’s out, scanner’s out, pretty much everything is out.”
“Patch me through to USS Virginia”
The admiral walked up to the radio station and sat down while the radioman began strenuous attempts at getting a connection up with the Virginia. Ironical, considering that by clear weather the men on both ships were able to communicate by just shouting at eachother from the carrier decks; After all, the ships were sailing right next to eachother. The admiral looked out of the bridge window left of him as a lightning flash lit up his surroundings, allowing him a short glimpse at the Virginia and the other ships of the fleet. As the flash dissolved, the image vanished as fast as it had appeared, leaving behind a few stripes of light in the shape of the fleet on his iris.
“How is the connection coming?”
“I’m working on it sir, but setting the antennas to correspond to the right frequence is hard with the storm outside”
The admiral looked back towards the vast darkness surrounding the bridge, as another massive wave swept over the deck of the carrier.

War is math. He who has the best calculations, wins. It was a comment typical of their captain, who had been a mathematician before the war. Indeed, out on the seas he proved to be a brilliant tactician, a man aware of everything while blind.
“Approaching targets. Course 52 22 0 0 closing. Heading 45, short range”
The captain looked up and responded “Roger. All ships, accelerate to cruise speed and commence manouevres” Without looking, the captain grabbed a large handle and pulled it, ringing off a bell in the machine room a deck below, telling the machinists to accelerate the engines. Afterwards, the captain unfolded a large map of the area and began drawing lines. Red and blue. Us and them
“It’s all about parameters, you see. Speed, current, heading, bearing. Everything, parameters”
Red and blue. Us and them.

“Connection established, here sir”
The radioman handed Farragut a large clunky telephone, which the Admiral could use to contact the Virginia.
“USS Virginia, this is USS Republic, come in, over”
Immediately, a familiar voice responded “You still up at this hour Robert? What would our mother say?”
Farragut grinned “Don’t get cocky on me just because you have your own carrier to run now little brother, I still outrank you in every way possible”
At the other side of the phone, Captain Julian Farragut laughed “Is that so? I’d like to remark that my ship made four sinks this week, how many did yours get?”
Staring blankly at an unexisting point in the black void outside, Farragut responded “It’s not all about the sinks Julian. We’re fighting a war here you know, the greater good and all that.”
In reality, the Republic had only managed to sink one ship, a bit of information Robert did not feel like passing on to his brother.
“Ah, boo, you’re never any fun”
“Haha, but serious now, any news from Washington?”
“I’m afraid not, radio has been dead for days. We’re a long way from home now.”
The Grand Admiral paused for a while “Yes, we are.” They were indeed, far away from home.
Outside the rain continued to wash off the windows of the bridge, distorting the men’s perceptions even more. The navigators were working around the clock this hour, not to make the fleet go the right way, but to prevent the ships from sailing into eachother with this weather.

“Tonight, the parameters are in our favor. Position is an important parameter, and this is a most crucial advantage tonight: We know where they are, but they don’t know where we are”
With confident and calculated strokes, the captain began drawing straight lines with a ruler, indiciating corners towards symbols on the map. Red and blue, us and them. The 9th fleet.
“The weather will have numbed their senses and their sonars. It will be perfect.”
The captain moved towards the navigator and presented a list of numbers indicating position, course and heading the ships would have to form.
“Pass these on”
“Yes sir”
Indeed, above an enormous storm was raging. But 80 metres below the surface of the sea, there was very little to notice that by: The innards of the submarine were as eerily calm and glacial as they had allways been. After spending too much time underwater, one feels as if he has become a part of the Uboot, nothing more then an instrument needed to keep the thing sailing. There was a sence of discomforting stability inside a submarine: The silence sounded always the same, the air you breathed was always the same and the climate remained constant, no matter what. The captain raised his hand

"Man battle stations. Patience is the key now."

To be continued...

--------------​

Forgot to mention, me and Laurence also played some Silent Hunter 3 in our days :D

-Vincent

Thank you. Be sure to catch up on our other project aswell, the humor/World Conquest AAR 'Raise the Crimson Banner!' It has Albanians ! :D

-Vincent

Wouldn't that be the point where you guys rise to your chairs and start shouting 'Gamey! Gamey! Gamey!'? Sure, we could do that, but that wouldn't be much fun now would it? That, and it's hard to track their deathstack, it's moving around constantly. The only time we see it...

Is when it is too late :eek:

-Vincent

You can justify it game-wise if you manage to do certain things. :D Just set a few "parameters" that would force them to commit that superstack there and... :rofl:

You can justify it game-wise if you manage to do certain things. :D Just set a few "parameters" that would force them to commit that superstack there and... :rofl:

Wait, like editing the AI file?
I don't even know how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.