• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

deadmeat1471

Lt. General
105 Badges
Mar 29, 2006
  • Sengoku
  • Impire
  • Iron Cross
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
For those who havent heard of Mafia before i suggest taking a peek here http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I have made a Iraq war themed one which does tend to stray from historical accuracy, but however im sure some of you will like the theme also.

The Iraq war Mafia

terrorism.gif

RULES:

The Iraq war Mafia

RULES:

The game alternates between Night and Day until either the Terrorists are eliminated, or the Terrorists have killed everyone else.

During Day, the Occupation forces must choose someone to arrest and send to Gitmo; they are trying to eliminate the Terrorists, but the Terrorists can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Terrorist (the Terrorist will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Occupation forces); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are arrested and sent to Gitmo. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it is once again Night.

TIPS: People may PM me to give anonymous tips to the police at night. A random CIA operative will be chosen each time a tip is sent and he will receive it. You wont be sure which cop gets the tip... It could be a Islamic one, a proficient one, etc.
One TIP per night. Tips are night actions. You can only make one Night action per night so if you send a tip, you can't perform another action.

- No afterdeath messages whatsoever. People usually hint things without intending to. If you die, too bad. Wait till it ends. I'll pm you when it's done if you want.
- No Posting at night. Once you see the Title Change it has become night so DONT POST.
- Try not to EDIT at all. Correct it in your next message.
- I will add some flavour to my posts. if you think that they're giving you any kind of hint. YOURE WRONG.

Sides:

Insurgents (Want western forces to leave)
Alqaida (Want occupiers dead)
Occupation forces (Want terrorists dead)
Neutrals

The insurgents are made up of:
1 leader
1 soldier
1 Informant

Alqaida are made up of:
Leader
IED bomber

Occupation forces are made up of:
1 US president
1 CIA operative
1 Abu Garaib soldier
1 F-16 pilot
1 western businessman

Civilian
1 arms dealer
1 Sunni militia
2 Shiite militia
1 Insane sniper
1 Iraqi Officer

1 Civilian doctor
1 Civil rights activist
2 Roaming civilians

-Conflict varies depending on how many Terrorists are left in Iraq
-The only roles that will show up upon death are CIA, Iraqi officers and western businessmen. Without specifications of sanity or efficiency.
-Civilians objective generally is to stay alive, early on this could probably be achieved by staying out of the frey, but later it will be essential for their survival that they find a faction and ally themselves with them (possibly in return for protection they offer their unique service)

Possible roles:

Leader
Cannot be killed, is automatically killed/captured (removed from active gameplay) once all his goons (underlings) are killed. They order the night kills (pm to GM) for the faction with the consultation of his underlings. Leaders are always innocent to investigation.

Soldier
Can attempt to kill, obey their leader, wins when their side is the only one left

Insane sniper
The crazy sniper has the ability to Night Kill. He wins when everybody else is dead.

IED bomber
Defends one person with his life each turn, if that person is attacked the bomber dies and so does the attacker

Iraqi officer
Each turn the Iraqi officers can watch one target and see where he/she goes

Inconspicuous – always finds target

Blind – 50% chance to find target, if doesn't finds other random person

CIA operative/Informant
Each turn the CIA operative can investigate one person (including allies for corruption etc) and find out his role

Proficient/ex Iraqi intelligence officer – always finds truth

Racist/paranoid – always finds the target to be terrorist

Pinko liberal/Lazy – always finds the target innocent

*secretly converted to Islam – works for terrorists, can still be proficient/racist/pinko.

Abu Garaib soldier
Can detain one person without charge each night turn and therefore prevent them using their role that night turn

Western businessman
Can lobby for influence once each turn and 'buy' (take) someones vote for who to arrest that turn (getting 2 votes)

Arms dealer
Gives whoever he chooses a free night kill (wins if terrorists remain and alive)

F-16 pilot phantom pilot
Can night kill one target, if kills innocent is withdrawn from theater due to civilian protest (killed), is occupation force member

US president
Is leader of occupation forces, has 2 votes for who to arrest this turn at GITMO

Sunni militia:
The Sunni militia has the ability to Night Kill. He is pro Occupation

Shiite militia:
The Shiite militia has the ability to Night Kill. He is pro Insurgent

Civilian doctor
A very powerful ally to the Town. Each night, the Doctor contacts the Game Moderator, choosing one player to protect during the night from a night kill.

Insane Doctor: This doctor has 50% chance of killing his patient instead of protecting him.

Paranoid Doctor: This doctor not only protects his patient but he also roleblocks him. See also, Jailkeeper

Naïve Doctor (a.k.a. Quack): This doctor's protection is ineffective.

Weak Doctor: This doctor dies if he protects an anti-town player.

CPR Doctor (also a Quack variant): This doctor kills his patient if he is not attacked.

Civil rights activist
The Civil rights activist has the ability to prevent an arrest that day. During twilight (end of day turn), the CRA may ask the moderator to stop an arrest. The CRA cannot stop his own Arrest or prevent a player from being Arrested twice.

Roaming civilian
Can hide behind one target of its choice, the target being killed instead if the civilian is targeted. If the person the civilian is hiding behind is targeted, both die.

Last edited:
Moved to Werewolf Games thread.

Left a redirect, though. Will expire in a day or so.

:D ya, im open to suggestions for editing and balance, also the gameplay is rather abstract, the 'town' are another faction in terms of the president, but still the people are unknown (apart from pres.)

Apart from that, it should be fun :rofl:

*edit Thanks drakken

If enough ppl want to play aswell as (or when they die) in the current wolf game, ill run a game whenever the player list is filled.

*If anyone has any ideas for some more 'neutral/town/occupation' members, im open to suggestion.

I guess you picked the wrong time to start this, since the big game has just started and the Lite game is still one player short of beginning. You are welcome to join us [thread=398487]there[/thread] (or you could sign up as sub in the big game) ;)

This looks interesting and has some different rules than we are used to, so it might be a nice addition. We do try to have only two games active at a time, to make sure each game get's enough attention and players. Before we had our own subforum this was strictly necessary, since people in the OT got kinda sick of seeing all those WW-threads on 'their' first page. Now that we have moved we could theoretically make as many games as we want, but we are still adapting to our nice subforum. The first games here had some trouble with people forgetting to check the thread, since it was no longer listed in OT and there are still some people unable to post here. With the slight decrease in players we seem to have lately I don't think it wise to start another game right now, it would also not be fair to those people who are on the waiting list to GM a game. :)

That said, it is something different and it looks really interesting. I would really like to try this out. Do you have any idea how many players you need? I count nineteen, so perhaps we can do this game after the next Lite is finished in a week or so?

I am not going to join right now, since I am already in two games, but count me in when Lite is finished. :p

sorry about the confusion, i didnt think there were ANY when i posted in OT (didnt even know WW was same thing till today!) and i absolutely agree, ill wait my turn or try a miniversion if people wish (i think it could work with as few as 5 or 6 people).

could cut leaders out entirely, have 1 AQ, 1 Insurgent and between 2-4 occupiers. It would no doubt be very quick :rofl: but relatively workable possibly.

*What ill do is leave this open to debate/ideas until people are ready, and ill take a peek at how a miniversion would work, and once done ill leave an open space for people to sign up.

What i really need to think up i think are more 'civilian' members.... maybe increase the militias slightly to say;
2 shiite militia
2 sunni
that way there is a real 'town' group, which the theme currently lacks largely.

Anyone got thoughts on the idea of increasing militias number? good idea or not? neutrals while may be pro occupation, are entirely free to do what they wish, or nothing at all (to avoid reprisal maybe!)

Also another idea, could have civilians who work like bombers only 50% chance to save their target instead (a abstract representation of civilian support maybe?)

The last idea i like quite alot.

Last edited:
After looking everything over it looks a bit messy. A lot of roles are able to kill someone at night, so it could be that half the players are death after the first night, should be fun though :p

I don't think you need more civilian members, as in neutrals. Too much neutrals will most likely disrupt the flow of the game. Maybe you should also try to make a diference between roles and traits, to keep an element of surprise. If I read your post right, the exact composition of the players is known to everyone beforehand. I always think it nice to not know how many of a certain role there are.

I am suprised no one else has commented on this yet and I will make a more detailed post when I have the time to thoroughly analyse your rules.

Agree about the mess, but not so many can kill**, one per side (unless i made a mistake) but the visibililty is vexing me.

I may rework the system to be civilians -

There are

insurgents, alqaida and occupation forces as 'mafia'

the factions would largely lack night kill capacity, the occupation would still vote on gitmo'ing people (maybe even innocent civilians11)

civilians would come in the form of doctors, politicians, iraqi army etc

however the civilians loyaltys would be unknown to all (even each other), so neither the terrrorists or the occupation would want to openly declare themselves to the civilians (but investigation may gain useful support)

The civilians would be more than useful, but essential entities such as 'doctors' or 'politicians' or 'protester', iraqi army which could help any or no sides win.

Ill edit the original post and post again letting people know ive entered a modified version when i have a think about it.

**Have removed alqaida 'soldier' from their roster

Last edited:
first edit - edit list:

-Occupation becomes own faction
-F4 renamed F16 and becomes part of occupation faction
-Neutrals become civilians
-Removed scout from game altogether
-Added civilian doctor and civil rights activist
-Soldier becomes insurgent soldier
-Number of Shiite militia becomes 2

'I always think it nice to not know how many of a certain role there are. '

I actually love this idea.

Requires roles would be for the 3 factions

A killer
1 random 'mafia' role

otherwise it could be absolutely random for the rest chances of getting;

Doctor
Officer
F16
sunni militia
shiite militia
western businessman
Civil rights activist
IED bomber
CIA operative
Abu garab soldier
Insane sniper
Arms dealer

Small game would require say:

2 Insurgents

2 alqaida (or remove al qaida from game)

3 Occupation

2 roaming civies

2 civilian random roles

*changed to 3 occupation

Last edited:
Perhaps I got something wrong about the killing part. The way I understood it was that at night, one of the different groups of mafia kills a player. Any player with a special role, like shiite militia can also kill a player during the night. I counted at least four of those, so unless it is a one time ability, there will be a lot of chaos :)

I don't really get the part about sending a TIP to a player. Do you have to construct the TIP yourself and the GM will send it, or do you say that you want to send a TIP and the GM will construct it and send it?

For the small game I think there would be too many bad guys for the good guys to have a chance at winning. I have however never played it like that, so I can't really say. Have you ever played a small game like that? I am rather curious at how it would turn out.

*subscribes*

Perhaps I got something wrong about the killing part. The way I understood it was that at night, one of the different groups of mafia kills a player. Any player with a special role, like shiite militia can also kill a player during the night. I counted at least four of those, so unless it is a one time ability, there will be a lot of chaos :)

Sorry about my vagueness, i agree, i removed the alqaida soldier. However the rest of the 'killers' (militias mostly) would be best not to start killing until they get barings on who people are (they could of course kill people, at the risk of alienating everyone against them if a faction gets wind of their actions via spying etc). The only one i expect to probably try and kill someone each turn is the insane sniper (also remember that there may be some support from doctors etc, defending key people)

*while they CAN kill every turn, at random if they wish, its not ESSENTIAL, especially as the civilian they may kill at random may have a useful talent (as most of them do) to fight the enemy <----- this is the key, use the civilian talents to take out your enemy. You dont get any points for killing civilians, only eliminating the enemie/gaining the factions objective (insurgents= occupation dead, al qaida= occupiers leave, occupatrion= terrorists dead, arms dealer= terrorists alive etc etc.)

I don't really get the part about sending a TIP to a player. Do you have to construct the TIP yourself and the GM will send it, or do you say that you want to send a TIP and the GM will construct it and send it?

Sorry i copied this directly from the wiki. a tip off is simply a neutral civilian telling the gm who someone is (that they think they have discovered) and it gets passed to a random intelligence agent on that side (informant for terrorists, cia for occupation). The GM will deal with the tip off, if you want to remain anonymous - this could be used as a ploy or to protect the person (if they expect possible reprisal or blackmail etc from the people they are informing of someone)

For the small game I think there would be too many bad guys for the good guys to have a chance at winning. I have however never played it like that, so I can't really say. Have you ever played a small game like that? I am rather curious at how it would turn out.

I havent, i tried to equalise out the ability of the good and bad, also the bad are not united, so may infact attack each other inadvertantly, also the majority of the civies would naturally side with the occupation (the occupation having greater power as a faction).

While the bad guys can kill easier, they have less to offer civilians in return (such as protection) and are smaller, so i think its highly possible the occupation could win. However, i think its also highly likely it may end in anarchy (civilians win by the opposing sides being eliminated fighting each other).

What ive tried to do is provide enough intelligence groups so that in a full game, each side could attempt intel before they attempt kills (so random attacking will be less prevelant by factions) but as you say, it could be a bloodbath pretty quick :rofl:

Have noted you down EUR007

Last edited:
Now I am beginning to understand. I was thinking of this in the terms of the WW games we play here. So there are three groups of mafia and one neutral group, the civilians. One of the groups of mafia will win and the neutrals can win by aligning themselves to the right group.

Now I am beginning to understand. I was thinking of this in the terms of the WW games we play here. So there are three groups of mafia and one neutral group, the civilians. One of the groups of mafia will win and the neutrals can win by aligning themselves to the right group.
Three packs, one village, some neutrals?

*A general note, the occupation can leave at any time, their victory will then be determined on whether the civilians can alone fight off the insurgents (which is highly unlikely as until that point they are practically unknown to each other)